What's new

Viewer

sz0k30

I have the latest version of Alibre Expert and I am on maintenance. The only computer I use Alibre on and the only computer its loaded on is my desktop. I would like to view only on my laptop, Say I want to look at a design in my pole barn - I can't take my desktop, but I can take my laptop. Is that possible without transferring licenses between computers?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I do it almost daily. Its very easy, but you will need an internet connection on the laptop in order to activate the license. On your desktop, open the Alibre utilities tab and click "release license".

Connect your laptop to the internet, and copy/past your license key in and click "Next". Thats it! It just has to be released on one computer, befor it can be activated on the other.

I believe you can also use an unlicensed or expired version of alibre, if you only want to view a file.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Or just install your Alibre software on the laptop - an inactivated installation can work in 'Viewer' mode. That allows viewing (as you'd expect), and also red-lining.

If moving licences, and you forget to release before leaving base - you can use remote release as you have active maintenance (as long as you can access the internet).

sz0k30

Or just install your Alibre software on the laptop - an inactivated installation can work in 'Viewer' mode.

Installed Alibre on my laptop. Requires releasing my desktop license. What is an "inactivated installation"?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
An inactivated installation is one that doesn't have a licence installed - just click the large button marked Viewer.

Viewer.jpg

5130wes

David,
Having seen your post regarding the viewer on a separate computer, I decided to install Alibre on a laptop to use only as a viewer. However, when I start it up I don't get the viewer option on the welcome page. The only options are Release or Exit. The main computer is running Alibre V23 Expert. How do I achiever the Viewer option on the laptop? Do I have to release the licence in the main computer first?

Thanks

sz0k30

When I first tried David's suggestion, I was also confused because I also did not get the "Viewer" option. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I went thru my desktop & laptop a couple of times trying to figure it out and then somehow it magically appeared? Sorry I can't help more.

And NO. I didn't release the desktop license.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Having seen your post regarding the viewer on a separate computer, I decided to install Alibre on a laptop to use only as a viewer. However, when I start it up I don't get the viewer option on the welcome page. The only options are Release or Exit.
If you install on a new machine for the first time, I'm sure you get a 30 day 'demo' trial of the full version. After that, I think the application reverts back to an unlicensed non-trial configuration and the 'Viewer' option then shows up. I might be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I've seen in the past.

5130wes

If you install on a new machine for the first time, I'm sure you get a 30 day 'demo' trial of the full version. After that, I think the application reverts back to an unlicensed non-trial configuration and the 'Viewer' option then shows up. I might be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I've seen in the past.
Simon,

Thanks. I did see the 30 days free trial when I installed Alibre on the laptop but chose to input the licence key instead. Maybe that wasn't the best thing to do. I might have to uninstall and try again.

Regards

Stephen

5130wes

When I first tried David's suggestion, I was also confused because I also did not get the "Viewer" option. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I went thru my desktop & laptop a couple of times trying to figure it out and then somehow it magically appeared? Sorry I can't help more.

And NO. I didn't release the desktop license.
Thanks for your input,

Do you remember if you chose the 30 day trial when you installed as Simon mentioned?

Regards

Stephen

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think you need to release the license on the machine you want to be the viewer. It seems to me since the viewer is free it should be an option for a paid licensed machines (when license is already in use) too.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate - an installation of Alibre will offer the viewer button alongside the option to enter a licence key.

You can use viewer when your full licence is on use on another machine.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Nate - an installation of Alibre will offer the viewer button alongside the option to enter a licence key.

You can use viewer when your full licence is on use on another machine.
I know. I'm saying it should be accessible without removing the license key. Add a button to this dialog to open in Viewer only mode:1644335598141.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Nate, if you look at post #5, it is.
The image Nate shared is a different condition of used and available licences. It isn't the same dialog! There are multiple dialogs and options depending on if/when you installed a license and if/when/how you released a license and depending if you have more than 1 seat or not ! The option for the viewer is inconsistent depending on the current licensed/released/seat count condition.

sz0k30

Simon,

I'm not computer savvy enough to know what's happening behind the scenes, but the screen shot shown in post # 5 is exactly what I get on my laptop and exactly what I was hoping for in my original post.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate, that seems like a corner case to me - difficult to see it being high priority to implement (but not my call).

5130wes

Nate, that seems like a corner case to me - difficult to see it being high priority to implement (but not my call).
David,

The issue still remains that the welcome screen that some of us get does not offer the Viewer option. How do we get to that screen?

Regards

Stephen