What's new

Wantedto update to newer version.. Wow, website unhelpful

JST

Alibre Super User
It's time for me to update, I am on maintenance, and should be able to update to V16, I think.

But, the website is superlatively unhelpful... The old Alibre site made it no problem... it recognized me, told me what I could get, and ran me through it easily. I had to search for the info on the GD website.... and then I got a page asking for product keys and authorization codes, which I have no clue about. Didn't need them as far as I recall for most recent update.

I did find a license key for a version two or three back, but it may not apply, and in any case, it's a screen shot, and looks as if it isn't complete, since it ends with "...".

I sent an inquiry to the license folks, but since they are not in GD/3DS, but at a "vendor", they may not be much help. We'll see about that.

I was just amazed at the change... from easy to very difficult/hassle.

I just went to see the offerings, due to the message I got about changes and discontinuation of products, and the website doesn't even show the spectrum of products in CAD.... maybe that is due to everything but the top version being discontinued? Dunno.

Website seemed to be all glitz and no info.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The Geomagic web presence is a mess - I have noticed some changes recently so hopefully it will improve. Basically you have to know where to look before you can find things - some things are not at all intuitive to find.

You won't find v16 on the web site, only v17 is there to download now. You can request a v16 download link if that's what you want (from Geomagic or your reseller).

If you are on current maintenance you should have been sent a 16 character activation code when Geomagic Design moved licensing to Flexera - you'll need that for v16 or v17. Again, Geomagic or reseller should be able to find that code and re-send to you.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I agree with David.
One important thing I would like to add:

V16:
Geomagic_Design_WIN32.exe
Geomagic_Design_WIN64.exe

V17
Geomagic_Design_WIN32.exe
Geomagic_Design_WIN64.exe

Before downloading, V16 or/and V17:
Create a V16 folder -> Download and save in V16 folder
Create a V17 folder -> Download and Save in V17 folder

If not saved in different folders, V16 will be overwritten with V17 or the other way around.

In the past, various versions had different file names:
GeomagicDesign_V2014_15088_X32.exe
GeomagicDesign_V2014_15088_X64.exe

JST

Alibre Super User
It's even more complicated because I willbe using it with XP for the moment....

So I will use the 32 bit, then later move to 64 when I install win 7.

Then, elements is discontinued.... no idea yet what THAT means..... I had extra permissions for exports and imports, which may disappear in this new licensing program, in which case I will be extremely displeased. That would force me to drop using the program at all, and I would have to try to get them back with 2012 again.... .

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If using XP, then v16 is your only option for now.

If you find you have lost any functionality just contact your reseller/Geomagic, there is an established route for fixing this kind of issue - hopefully it should already have been applied to your licence.

The recent announcement means Elements users (with active support subscription) will get a free licence for Design.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
V16 works with XP 32 bit. ( no longer supported, but it works)
Translate, with the extended Import/ Export option, will remain.
elements is discontinued
Yes, now they have killed the 2.Alibre baby.

First baby, which they killed:
Alibre Standard -> Alibre PE -> Geomagic PE -> Cubify
Second baby, wich they killed:
Alibre Design Pro -> Geomagic Design Pro -> Geomagic Elements

The explanation ( Elements to Design) is highly questionable,
because Geomagic Freeform AND Geomagic Freeform Plus was not reduced to ONE product.

Also highly questionable is the missing signature in this "Important Product Information".
"The 3D Systems Geomagic team" is similar to:" Greetings from your grandmother",
and does not follow international legal definitions.

Sending such important information only in English,
is the culmination of insolence and violates the laws in many countries.

JST

Alibre Super User
I have so far been unable to determine what will be the path forward for my "elements" license.

The links have not worked.....

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
JST said:
I have so far been unable to determine what will be the path forward for my "elements" license.

The links have not worked.....

Not sure what you mean, what links?
If you have current maintenance your licence will have Design added. It may already have been upgraded to Design to maintain your additional features.

To get links for v16 installer download, contact whoever you purchased the software from.

Fx.CAD

I'm wondering if that's the trick they found to get money one last time the remaining Geo. Element users who are not under maintenance. 3DS could discontinue Geomagic Design next year, there is no guarantee at all. :evil:

JST

Alibre Super User
The link was from the email.....

Also internal links in website. They didn't work. I was able to use the link from the email this morning.

It LOOKS like they are upgrading "Elements" users to "design".

BUT, is not "design" the top version? So that would have added features over what I have now? Does not seem like that is what would be done, so I may be confused by their information.

And of course there is a dramatically higher maintenance fee for the full "design"!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
YES , they are offering an upgrade to Design. Your licence might already have been upgraded as I mentioned above (quite a few people were upgraded last year)

One thing that isn't yet clear is which, if any 3rd party Add-ons will be provided over and above any existing entitlement.

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I could easily imagine that (with the prevailing corporate mentality) they consider it cost efficient to upgrade the Design Elements users to Design at no cost in order to consolidate the product offerings. The question is , what will the annual maintenance then be for those former Elements owners....
I'm not thinking that there will be a group of people (who paid much more for their product) paying $400 annually and another who paid less AND get their maintenance for whatever Elements maintenance is/was ($299??)

I see no reference to Elements on the GM website pages at this time.

normc

Has V17 been oficially released? I see the the forum shows that V17 is still in Beta, but no info that the Beta is now over.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
normc said:
Has V17 been oficially released? I see the the forum shows that V17 is still in Beta, but no info that the Beta is now over.

Has been out for a couple of weeks - available for download on the Geomagic support site. Though nothing there to tell you that it is a new version, even the download file name is unchanged.

JST

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
YES , they are offering an upgrade to Design. Your licence might already have been upgraded as I mentioned above (quite a few people were upgraded last year)

One thing that isn't yet clear is which, if any 3rd party Add-ons will be provided over and above any existing entitlement.

Is that an upgrade to a full version? Because I didn't have sheetmetal, but Design does.

I'm kinda on-board with the idea, actually, I had always intended to add that, until it became impossible.

normc

Wow, that is strange. Checking for any updates button on the CAD shows that I am up to date on V16.

If I want to download V17, do I need to uninstall V16 first, or as RALF suggests, download V17 in a separate folder?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Yes, download and save V17 in a separate folder.
I recommend to uninstall V16 and install V17.

The update (button) works within a major version,
but V16 -> V17 is an upgrade.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
JST said:
DavidJ said:

Is that an upgrade to a full version? Because I didn't have sheetmetal, but Design does.

I'm kinda on-board with the idea, actually, I had always intended to add that, until it became impossible.

How many times do I have to say YES ....

JST

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
How many times do I have to say YES ....

Enough to pound in the idea of "something for nothing"....

That concept takes a lot of verification for me to believe in it! :mrgreen:

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
JST said:
...the idea of "something for nothing".... That concept takes a lot of verification for me to believe in it! :mrgreen:

Yes, so far so good..... I was AD-PE and was earlier upgraded to GDE with two seats, keyshot and MoI, in addition to my translate & extended I/O.

I will be upgraded to GD with mesh and sheet metal, all the team stuff (which I will not need).

If my maintenance goes from 299 to 399, I will not be thrilled, but if I have two active seats I can live with that.