What's new

what is the "perspective view" option for?

BlackBird28

Hi,
can someone tell me what the "perspective view" options in Alibre is for?
pespective.jpg

In CATIA and Inventor it is used to fly into / between objects.
If i like to view the bottom of the green sphere in the box i have to fly into the box and look upwards.
sphere_in_a_box.jpg

in ortographic mode the camera is infinite away and only changes the zoom and the walls from the box are allways in the way (between camera and sphere)

in perspective mode the camera itself moves istead of zoom and do not change the FOV. So i can move the cam close to the sphere and then it is between the sphere and the walls of the box and i can fly arund the sphere.

in CATIA and Inventor / Fusion it woks this way.
In Alibre it did not work this way. In perspective mode you can fly as close as possible to the sphere but you will allways have the walls between the cam an the sphere.

The function is useless. it only looks a bit more realistic.
I know it ist not easy to handle the perspective mode, because you often have to set new focus points for the spacemouse to meve properly.

Image you have to fly with your spacemouse in to an fueltank to check the fuelpump assembly or something. This is what spacemouses made for.
And i dont allways want to use a section view to do this.

Is it possible to implement a working perspective view?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Orthographic is where all items regardless of depth are shown with the same width/height scaling.
Perspective is where depth has a affect on how width/height is scaled.

Look at a cube directly on one face and switch between the two!

So, normal editing is done in Orthographic, so you can see how thing lie in relationship to others behind it, Perspective is only used if you want to see a true 'real world' view of the object you've created. If you can edit a model in Orthographic view ... you are way better than me or other pro CAD users!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
in CATIA and Inventor / Fusion it woks this way.
In Alibre it did not work this way. In perspective mode you can fly as close as possible to the sphere but you will all ways have the walls between the cam an the sphere.
That's because in CATIA/Inventor the pan/zoom moves the camera position. It may move the model in Alibre not the camera, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible to implement a working perspective view?
Suggest your workflow and enhancement to Alibre support.

BlackBird28

Hi simon,
thank you for your explanation. I see the differences but for me they are just a gimmick without any usability.
At work(in Inventor2021) i use the most time the orthographic view.. it was a bit ugly at the beginning but it has it advantages. Specially while sketching.
I only use the perspective-view if i have to fly into some assembly's to apply fasteners etc. Because in perspective mode you often have to reassign the focus point for the spacemouse. Specially if you like to zoom (pull the object closer to you).

And it doesn't matter if the cam or the object is moved by the spacemouse. In Alibre you cannot move objects behind the camera in perspective mode. But this is what the mode is for. To fly into something.:D
In Albre you couldn't design the interior of a room or something, because the walls will always be in your way.
Can someone understand what i mean? I cannot imagine that i'am the only one who realize this.:(

simonb65

Alibre Super User
And it doesn't matter if the cam or the object is moved by the spacemouse. In Alibre you cannot move objects behind the camera in perspective mode. But this is what the mode is for. To fly into something.:D
In Albre you couldn't design the interior of a room or something, because the walls will always be in your way.
Can someone understand what i mean? I cannot imagine that i'am the only one who realize this.:(
I understand where your coming from. I haven't used other CAD as much as Alibre and I do find it cumbersome to have to hide features or section to gain access to internal faces, etc. I personally wasn't aware others were different, but the idea to fly into an object sounds much more user friendly and with todays augmented reality/VR type applications, it seems like the way to go with CAD too.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes orthographic view will lead to confusion about the model, perspective view can help to resolve that.

With respect - I think what BlackBird28 is looking for is actually some view/camera behaviour that just happens to coincide with perspective view in some other packages.

Perspective vs. orthographic is about how the views are presented. Whether the PoV can move through walls or not is another issue.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The only thing I've use Perspective view for is to export a png (image) file of the model that looks "normal". But now that I have KeyShot I don't bother with it, it's sometimes quicker to dump the model to KS and render out a quick image from it.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'd like a fly/walk tool. It'd make things easier to show off for clients to visualize buildings.

However for designing - the new dynamic cross sections make it easy to see inside something.