What's new

What's everyone favorite 3D printer

hradford5

To be honest the ABS is the hardest thing for me to print. I really only did it to prove to myself it could be done. I've only done a few prints, probably 50-60% come out acceptable to my standards, I'm pretty picky.
I am much happier with the quality of the Polycarbonate, it is stronger & easier to print, though still a little difficult. I had to add the all metal E3D V6 hotend to get the 300°- 310° print temps.
I am also impressed with the Raptor PLA, that is some pretty tough plastic for a PLA and it is a breeze to print.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Explosive proof filament wow:cool:

I am on the hunt for a filament that's high heat resistant. I need it because of aerodynamic heating of super sonic air flow. Right now I using fiberglass or carbon fiber for things (like a camera shroud) exposed to this airflow. Any suggestions on what filament be able to fit the bill?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
PEEK is great for extreme temperature resistance. If I recall correctly it extrudes at close to 400 degrees so you'll need to get an E3D hotend.

auburncad

I have a MakerGear M2-very nice rock-solid printer. I print mostly ABS right now. It prints TPU really well. I have also printed some PETG a while back with good results--and of course some PLA. On the list soon, some Carbon-ABS. I use Simplify3D for the slicer and machine control.

sbeamers

Just picked up a QIDI and have the flexion dual extruder on the way. Smaller print bed than I really want, but so far printing PLA and PETG has been a snap. TPU.....soon.

hradford5

I just got my Prusa i3 MK3 (and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my multi-material upgrade, 5 filaments in one print!!).
I love this printer.

GDBranch

I just got my Prusa i3 MK3 (and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my multi-material upgrade, 5 filaments in one print!!).
I love this printer.
I've had my Mk3 for a couple months now and couldn't be happier. The MMU for $300 is incredibly inexpensive and will adorn my printers once they get shipping squared away.

One of our sales guys bought himself a cheap CTC dual extruder from ebay to hopefully print some parts for his model railway hobby. The idea was that I model up what he needed and send him the files to print. From what I've read the CTC appears to be a cheap Chinese version of a Makerbot replicator.

Unfortunately he couldn't get it to work so brought it in to work for me to look at.

I'd had no prior experience of 3d printing but after a search on google I got it to work fine (the software that came on the SD card was corrupt).

Build quality and print quality are fine but not fantastic. I'm not sure it's able to print the parts he is expecting as there is some intricate detail and overhangs that I'm not sure suit a 3D printer of this calibre but it's fun to use. It does require extra help for cooling parts whilst printing certain things. I use a desk fan. And there are plenty of mods available to download and print to aid quality.

It's now at my house (much to my wife's disgust) as I'm supposed to be working on his train carriages at weekends. I've basically been printing things for myself though (to get used to the settings...cough). So far I've fixed a clothes airer, printed a few frogs and a Viking axe head and shield boss for my daughters Viking history day at school.
Not bad for a cheap hobby printer.

IMG_20180413_142917.jpg IMG_20180415_152533.jpg