What's new

Where did layers go in Ver 9??

bobster

I just opened an assembly created in Ver 8.2 and when I went to turn on layers that had parts on them that were turned off to hide components I could not find the layers command in the tools menu where I'm sure it was in Ver 8.2? To be sure that I'm not going nuts, I looked in the ver 8.2 manual and sure enough, layers are available in part and assembly modeling, right there on page 208. Page 281 of the ver 8.2 manual explains layers in the drafting mode, that is still available in ver 9, but no mention of layers for part or assemblies in the ver 9 manual.

What's going on. I've been using layers for some time to hide parts in assemblies and for drafting purposes. Are "configurations" intended to replace the layer functionality? This seems to be a loss of functionality from my perspective??

indesign

Alibre Super User

I use the Design explorer to hide parts. Just right click on any part or assembly you wish to hide or suppress. There are a few changes but I think it is all there.

siggy

Sure as heck - layers in assemblies are gone. I have a bunch of assemblies that I had used layers to build different assembly configurations and now all parts that were on hidden layers are showing up as suppressed in the assembly.

What a pain in the ass! Now instead of updating the status of a layer I have to go in and manually supress/unsupress a multitude of parts. For those of us running basic without the new configurations this is really a big step backwards. I wholeheartedly agree that we are the proud recipients of a shaft...

bobster

Hide dos not do it. Parts that are hidden still appear when a drawing is made.
Suppress does remove the part from the drawing view. I don't remember if the suppress functionality was in ver 8.2? I used layers to remove groups of parts that I didn't want in drawing views.
I did play around a bit with configurations and this fuctionality can be used along with the suppress function to get this part of the functionality back.
However this is not the same as layers.
In UG, AutoCAD, ProE, layers can be used for a wide variety of functions, such as placing datums, points, or text layers.
Ah, adding text to a part model, for example, a connector panel, the reference designators, in UG we use a text layer, turned on for the silkscreen view, turned off for the sheet metal view. I was hoping the maybe some enhancement in Alibre's text handling in part modeling would allow this functionality...........

indesign

Alibre Super User

Handling text in designs have been a requested function. Maybe this would be a little like what is on the list.

However I am dissapointed that Layers are gone. Is there anyone else who has found another way to address this?

swertel

Alibre Super User

From what I hear, and take this very lightly because I'm filling in the blanks with what I consider common sense, so it may not be entirely accurate.

Layers WERE used to mimic configurations. With configurations, layers under that definition were not needed and therefore were not a priority to code into v9.

Based on the above posts, there are only a few people that care but I personally feel the upgrade path for those people with BASIC, i.e. no configurations, should have had a defined route. It definitely seems you are left in the cold. Has anyone brought this up officially with Alibre? Phone call or support site? That would be your next step rather than just venting here.

--Scott

bobster

OK, I just downloaded the local help file from Alibre and Scott's comments are confirmed in there.

Layer functionality in parts and assemblies has been replaced by configuratios in version 9.

A new option is available under tools pull down that can be selected to display the heritage layer name in brackets alongside the part or assembly layer name.

OK, for MOST of my usage, configurations is an acceptable alternative, it may even be superior for some applications. But then, I use Alibre Professional, so I have the configuration capablity available, IMHO Basic users have been screwed.

I think I may still miss layers but I'll reserve that judgement until I get more time on version 9.

leeave96

So what about Standard version? In addition to not getting configurations in the long awaited V9, did we loose layers too?

Not a happy camper.

Bill

indesign

Alibre Super User

There is still a lot more people to hear from. My guess is Alibre did not realize how it was being used and that the standard user would miss it.

I would like to hear from Alibre on this issue but I hope to upgrade to pro by the end of the year. Still it concerns me that we can loose functions in what we are currently using.

Tony_Potts

Alibre deleting layers from the main menu and placing laying in the configurations is the worst idea I've seen yet. Laying is an essential part of cads, especially in assemblies. By imbedding this feature into the configurations is absorbed, taking 3 steps back. Even trying to use the configurations to setup layer in assemblies is cumbersome and awkward. Someone at Alibre needs to look at this quickly and get V9.1 out ASAP with this function replaced.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I was a bit puzzled by the dissappearance of Layers. They were a poor subtitute for Configurations, but they were certainly not made redundant by them. It's difficult to imagine how there could be a conflict....

mtauer

I agree Miles, configs are not a substitute for layers. Once configs are used in a project this is extremely apparent.

In my own experience with using 3D CAD software, layers are more or less non-existant, at least in the modeling portion, with the exception of AD.
I believe that configs are a huge step forward for AD.(but I think a few people already know my views on this)

I read somewhere on the forum that layers have been removed from the basic version. If this is the case, this is quite a bummer that the folks using basic have to suffer with the removal of layers, and this was a huge oversite on the part of AD.

I just did a search for "layers" in the AD help file and found "Layer Migration to Configurations in Parts"
Has anybody tried this and does it work properly? I just tried to research it more but got the ole' "Alibre Lauancher has failed blah, blah" message :cry:

Mark

swertel

Alibre Super User
Re: Where did layers go in Ver 9??

Tony_Potts said:
Alibre deleting layers from the main menu and placing laying in the configurations is the worst idea I've seen yet. Laying is an essential part of cads, especially in assemblies. By imbedding this feature into the configurations is absorbed, taking 3 steps back. Even trying to use the configurations to setup layer in assemblies is cumbersome and awkward. Someone at Alibre needs to look at this quickly and get V9.1 out ASAP with this function replaced.

I'm curious how you use layering in assemblies? I haven't ever used layers in my 3D parametric assembly world. As a matter of fact, I haven't used layers since my 2D autocad days. I've only used layers because of company policy for my CATIA v4 work. I'm just curious, other than a "workaround" to configs because Alibre used to not have them, how are you'all using layers in 3D?

scarr

Layering in Alibre

Layers are a hold-over from the 2D and Wireframe days and aren't particularly useful or necessary in the 3D world. They may in some instances affect the data exchange process in adverse ways. With the filters available in Alibre, you can show/noshow nearly every type of entity you create, and with the color properties you can define your model/assembly using basic color mapping, without having to create some complicated, and usually unused set of layering standards. In most companies I've worked for, unless you had a checking department that checked the model data, layering standards were used haphazardly at best and usually not at all in the majority of cases. Today the move is away from layers in a lot of 3D programs. So as regards the loss of layers and the gain of configurations, I think you'll find the latter much more important in your future design endevours, and after a time, your pining for layers will receed into the dark well of the past where all former loves reside.

Layers still exist in Alibre's drawing package where their usefulness is uncontested and quite necessary for the organization of 2D entities. The key word here is 2D.

ecope

The reason I use layers

Hey all, the main reason I have used layers is when I want to get a weight on an assembly and I have purchased parts in the assembly that I can look at a book and get there weight, but if I keep them in the assembly they will give me an incorrect mass. So I will put the purchased parts on a layer and turn them off the get a mass for my assembly.

If you just hide the parts, inaccurate mass will be applied in the assembly.

I have yet to upgrade to v9.0 at this point and do not know if configurations will still work the same as layers will. Someone who has v9.0 maybe can tell me if they can get an accurate mass in their assembles using configurations.

Eric

steved

V9 Layers

The main drawback with configurations as opposed to layer control is the inability to multiple select entities in the assembly environment eg having to suppress every bolt in a pattern instead of being able to select the pattern, and why isn't the pattern suppressed when you suppress the item being patterned.

Cheers

Steve

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re: V9 Layers

steved said:
The main drawback with configurations as opposed to layer control is the inability to multiple select entities in the assembly environment eg having to suppress every bolt in a pattern instead of being able to select the pattern, and why isn't the pattern suppressed when you suppress the item being patterned.

Cheers

Steve

What we need are management improvements/tools for Desgn Explorer. Try the macro tip that I posted, Steve, it makes a huge difference. I'm not a great fan of right-click menus....

Auspex

I just noticed this as well. I would like to have configurations, and was disappointed to learn that they were not included in Alibre Design, but thought I could manage with the layers.....now what to do?

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re: V9 Layers

steved said:

Cheers

Steve

Not sure if I understand, but if you select a group of components you can go "Tools>Suppress" to suppress them all.