What's new

Where did layers go in Ver 9??

mtauer

The main drawback with configurations as opposed to layer control is the inability to multiple select entities in the assembly environment eg having to suppress every bolt in a pattern instead of being able to select the pattern, and why isn't the pattern suppressed when you suppress the item being patterned.

I am not in front of AD right now but I would think that all is required is to
create an assembly config and suppress the bolts (pattern) one time. Then if you want to view the assembly without bolts, just activate that config.
This technique should also hold true for getting weights on an assembly.

Mark

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re: V9 Layers

Mibe said:
Not sure if I understand, but if you select a group of components you can go "Tools>Suppress" to suppress them all.

Where, Michael? Nothing in my Tool menu.....

You can do it with Edit/Hide, but not Suppress.

steved

Suppress parts

Hi Mibe

When I select multiple parts there is no optiion in the tools menu to suppress all.

Cheers

Steve

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re:

MilesH said:
Mibe said:
Sorry about that... "Edit>Suppress"! My memory failed my once again :oops:

You mean Edit>Hide :wink:

No... I have the function "Edit>Suppress" in both Part- and Assembly mode. When selecting this menu item all selected components (or features) are suppressed.

This is only in Alibre Design Pro/Expert of course,but I suspect that this was understood? :)

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

Mibe said:
MilesH said:
Mibe said:
Sorry about that... "Edit>Suppress"! My memory failed my once again :oops:

You mean Edit>Hide :wink:

No... I have the function "Edit>Suppress" in both Part- and Assembly mode. When selecting this menu item all selected components (or features) are suppressed.

This is only in Alibre Design Pro/Expert of course,but I suspect that this was understood? :)

You're absolutely right, Mibe - it only appears in the menu after you have made a Selection, though (not even there 'greyed out', before), that's why I missed it. Nothing in the manual, either..

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out. :)

indesign

Alibre Super User

I like putting all the hardware like bolts in a layer that can be turned off. This makes for faster rendering and I can do some simple explodes without them but can turn them on when needed.

scarr

Re; Layers in ALibre V9.0

I've been using Alibre for several years and never once had a need to use the Layers functionality. By using the Design Explorer, I can rapidly select multiple part instances in an assembly to either hide or suppress. I can also open an individual part in an edit window to get an accurate weight/mass figure and then quickly drop back into assembly mode. I find the lack of layers to be a non-issue, whether I'm working in a single part or an assembly.
The ability to create Configurations on the other hand is a huge addition to the Alibre Design arsenal. If you're just using it as a substitute for Layers, (which by the way I can't believe anyone is) then you're missing the most important aspects of this versitle tool.
We all have our special likes and dislikes when it comes to our design tools, and no company can please all it's users all the time, you can go back to Lincoln's saying, "you can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people, all of the time." and substitute 'please' for 'fool'. I think Alibre does an excellent job of pleasing the vast majority of it's users, most, if not all of the time. Else why would the user base be growing at the rate it is?

Tony_Potts

Re: Where did layers go in Ver 9??

swertel said:
Tony_Potts said:
Alibre deleting layers from the main menu and placing laying in the configurations is the worst idea I've seen yet. Laying is an essential part of cads, especially in assemblies. By imbedding this feature into the configurations is absorbed, taking 3 steps back. Even trying to use the configurations to setup layer in assemblies is cumbersome and awkward. Someone at Alibre needs to look at this quickly and get V9.1 out ASAP with this function replaced.

I'm curious how you use layering in assemblies? I haven't ever used layers in my 3D parametric assembly world. As a matter of fact, I haven't used layers since my 2D autocad days. I've only used layers because of company policy for my CATIA v4 work. I'm just curious, other than a "workaround" to configs because Alibre used to not have them, how are you'all using layers in 3D?

I use laying for several things. Many times I have multiple versions of the same part in the assembly. I place each of them on their individual layer and display them when needed with other parts. I also turn off many parts on their individual layers when I'm doing a lot of work within the assembly to reduce the regeneration time. Also I create simplified assemblies, leaving out numerous parts that aren't needed to make the assembly easier to view. I could go on, but I this should provide some insight on how I use layering in an assembly.