What's new

Windows 7

Arro Ins

Ah yes ... Windows 7 RC1 x64 (64 bit) is another kettle of fish. I could not, within the limits of the effort I made, get Alibre v11.2 running on it. I consoled myself with being able to run it on Windows 7 RC1 x86 (32 bit) in a dual boot environment. Alas, the "recipe" as outlined above in thread is intended for (and only works on) Windows 7 RC1 x86. Let us know if you come up with another angle for x64.

coredump

Hi,

I have tried to install Alibre on Win7 RTM (so technically speaking, win7), and the registry trick is needed to install v11.2
I just do a quick run and I cannot tell if it's fully functionnal or not.

I have an actual version of Windows 7 Buisness. I installed Aliber V11.2 on it and changed the compatibility to Vista service pack 2. Alibre seems to run seamlessly!

coredump

Be sure to do the registry trick and then launch the installer and alibre in compatibility mode (XP)
Works for me on win7 32bit. I have no idea for 64bit.

Btw, update your graphic card driver before, I get a blue screen launching alibre install with bundled ATI drivers, and it requires me to reinstall win7 (unfinished install that could not be erased). Luckily it was a really fresh install...

I can't get past licensing. When I type my name and password I get an error, and the site key just returns blank when I try that.

I am running the 64 bit version.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Are you absolutely sure you are using the correct username/password? - for example, have you ever had another username for Xpress?

I had another one for xpress a few years ago on a completely different computer. I can login to my alibre account no problem using the same name and p/w.

That shouldn't affect not being able to get a number from the site key gen though. That just returns a blank space.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I only mentioned it as something to check - I've heard it is quite common that people put in old Xpress username/password, then wonder why things don't work.

Well Alibre responded to my incident report by saying I must upgrade to V12 to get it to work on 7, and there is no way to get a site key from Windows 7.

Forgive me for not believing them.

How hard is it to set up a dual boot environment and run it in XP? Then after I get the site key could I bump it up to run in 7?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Others here have tried getting key in earlier OS and dropping it into Win7 - it doesn't work.

v11.2 can work in Win7, several here have managed that - I've also taken the tips from here to get a number of other people up and running with v11.2 on Win7. In most cases (I won't say all) set compatibility to Vista SP2 seems to do the trick, it isn't entirely clear but changing the PC name may help in some cases (as long as you have spare key allowance remaining). The graphics drivers which ship with Win7 may need updating to allow correct functioning (but I think that's mainly for when you get beyond licensing).

Check that you haven't reached your limit for licence keys.

[EDIT - BTW, I can understand Alibre's position. v12 was the first version designed to be Win7 compatible, if you choose to try to run v11.2 on Win7 you are technically working with an 'unsupported operating system'. ].

Yeah I understand their position, I just don't believe there isn't a simple way to make it work.

I've yet to get a single key for the software, as this is my first time installing it since a trial version 3/4 years ago, so I don't think that should be an issue.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I have a dual boot system with Vista/ 64 bit and Windows 7/64 bit.
No problem with the installation and activation of Alibre V12 on both 64 bit OS.

Also with my 2 years "old" Thinkpad T61p and Windows 7/64 bit,
no problem with the installation and activation of Alibre V12.

For experiments with (V11 and Windows 7) in the registry, no sympathy from my side.
Who wants to work with Windows 7, should use Alibre V12.

Many Alibre users pay for software maintenance and updates
therefore, from my side no help/support/tips... for hacks.

Attachments

• Win7-64-bit.JPG
    Win7-64-bit.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 312
It's not hacking when you pay for the software, it's tweaking.

I will run an XP boot before shelling out more money for V12. Looks like that's the route I'm stuck with.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
My Thinkpad T61p with Windows 7 /64 bit and Alibre V12 with maintenance.

Attachments

• Windows7-64bit-V12.JPG
    Windows7-64bit-V12.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 266

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I`m glad to be of service... :D

...and here is the next Windows 7 / 64 bit and Alibre V12.

Dualboot on a single HDD
1 x Partition Vista 64 bit & Alibre V12
1 x Partition Windows 7/64 bit & Alibre V12
1 x Partition - System Backup
1 x Free

Attachments

• BackBell.JPG
    BackBell.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 410
  • Single-HDD.JPG
    Single-HDD.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 263

maj

Under Windows 7 64 Bit the ProductId field must be copied to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\productid

In case Alibre still got trouble finding a site key, use a registry activity logger like Process Monitor by Sysinternals. Windows returns "name not found" when trying to access a registry field productid at a location that doesn't exist, and you'll find the path where you must add an entry in your registry file.

Thank you for the assistance, particularly on Friday :wink:

Maj