What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

Ex Machina

@Ex Machina, I visit Too Tall Toby's site once in a while and see that you are usually in the chat. I'd comment there but you need to have a YT channel, which I don't have - yet.
I noted in the Sept 23rd speed modeling challenge that there seems to be something odd going on. The winner got the right mass but the model is wrong. Does that count?

BTW, except for the square 'base' this part is a series of Mid-plane extrudes with some holes and fillets.

View attachment 39862
Hey Harold, so as people have commented, it is a feature of the rules.

As a side note, it is not allowed in the monthly Leaderboard challenges. Although, even in the monthly leaderboard challenges there are tolerances in the weight. For example, in September's Leaderboard for the first part there was a tolerance of ±0.002lbs. And if you see Joost's video which was the fastest one, he inputs a radius of 0.625 for the small fillets of the flange when the correct value is 0.750. But when he output the mass at the correct 3-digit precision it was rounded off to the correct mass.

Now, in the actual competition it is allowed because of the huge effort that would go into checking for it. The competitors would have to submit files, and the files would need to be compared through a boolean comparison or other form. And because it's multi CAD there would be issues with CAD not exchanging local files, etc. I mean, there is a Plasticity runner, PhosphOr. I don't even know if Plasticity can export .step files. Or a Build123d runner. Does that export .step files? How easily?

And finally, it's a really cool strategic feature and a trap as well. Should you or should you not go for it. You only have enough time to think of 1 design strategy in the competition. So, it actually shows the experience of the designer. Ivan Loewen who is the inventor of the Ivan exploit competes this year too. And in his info card, he actually says "My customers don't appreciate the Ivan Exploit", lol.

P.S. Harold, upload a random video from screencast and BOOM! You're a YouTuber! Come on, it'll be fun to chat during the competition. Besides, I find YT even better for sharing videos with clients and such. Just make it unlisted and it's pretty much the same functionality.

I believe that the Ivan Exploit is one of those types of things that no one thinks of until it happens. So basically, according to the rules it was correct even though Ivan had a feature out of place the mass was correct. ...
Well, technically he had 4 of them. Basically he just machine-gunned the counterbored holes onto the part. Hahahahahahahaha

Last edited:

gwbruce

Mam, I got to say the speed modeling tournament last Saturday was awesome. If you missed it you really missed a great one.

Ex Machina

Joost lost. I am flabbergasted... I thought that was impossible. The CAD Witchdoctor lost! Victor was clinical, man. If you guys haven't seen it, it's worth rewatching today's matches. And Ivan just gave everyone a webinar basically. Just showing how it's done.

gwbruce

Man, if you didn't watch the Too Tall Toby speed modeling tournament today you really missed out on some incredible modeling. It was brutal and so intense. Be sure to check it out on his YouTube channel.

Ex Machina

What an amazing Saturday night (for me) Fight Show this was!!! Pranav and Aaron just didn't want to go down. What a powerful match this was last night. And Jehan and Imants put on a great show justifying their position on the Elite 8!!!

Really cool model Harold. I thought that was the most beautiful model of the night! Or morning, depending on where you are.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I saw that TTT had Jon Hirschtick, creator of SW and onshape, as a guest host for the Oct 28th meet. He had some interesting comments on CAD programming. At some point it would be interesting to see @Max on to get some of his comments too.

Also Kudos for @Max for giving a generous gift of Alibre to all the contestants of the TTT World Championship Speed Modeling.

gwbruce

@HaroldL yep, that is the second time Jon has been a guest commentator on the tournament. He had a couple really cool stories regarding the creation of SW the first time he was on. I agree with you it would be great to see @Max on there also. Heck it would be great just to have Max join in on the chat that goes along with the tournament. I am usually there as well as Ex Machina., Joseph from Joko Engineering is on there chatting during the tournament. Would be nice to get as many of the Alibre crowd on there as we can. @Max and Alibre have really stepped up on the prize game. Makes ya proud to be an Alibre user.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I recreated the sheetmetal part Victor and Imants had trouble with. I started after seeing how Victor and Imants started and thought different way would work better. Took me about 25 minutes and I didn't preset materials or metric. Also I realized after starting I haven't setup my toolbars at home for sheetmetal mode yet. How did I do?
1699726891871.png

Attachments

• 23-T-81-FLARED BRACKET.AD_SMP
    952.5 KB · Views: 12

tyc

I recreated the sheetmetal part Victor and Imants had trouble with. I started after seeing how Victor and Imants started and thought different way would work better. Took me about 25 minutes and I didn't preset materials or metric. Also I realized after starting I haven't setup my toolbars at home for sheetmetal mode yet. How did I do?
View attachment 40072

Mass = 368.4 gm

so your model is correct. Great way to model it up. The way you implemented 26 degrees taper on the angled flanges is awesome.
When I first saw the part, I thought I would start with a solid body because of that 26 degrees taper. but your method nailed it. And it's great that Alibre takes care of the perpendicular edge cuts.

Well done Nate!

gwbruce

It was a pretty awesome finals. I was pulling for Imants. You guys going to try for the February leaderboard? I'm not sure if I will or not but I will be following for sure.

Cator

Hi everyone,
I followed the championship with interest and enjoyed playing with different models. But I can't figure out how to execute
the elliptical conjunction found in the second drawing of the final. If anyone has the desire and the opportunity to show me how @NateLiquidGravity did with its model from the third challenge, I would thank them in advance.
Regards,
Francesco
1699772741316.png