What's new

Recent content by GordonL

1. G

STL Import and redesign

OK I will keep playing around with this. I think that my problem is that I am trying to combine two items in MODEL instead of ASSEMBLY. I have made assemblies in other projects but I did not realize that I could export an assembly to STL. I don't have time to play around with this today but I...
  2. G

STL Import and redesign

I know that I am way beyond my ability but perhaps someone can give me some pointers. I am trying to make a clown for a model Cretors Popcorn Engine that I am building. I want to 3D print this. I can find an articulated doll on STL Finder which will be close to what I need but needs some...
  3. G

Modified part in assembly

Never mind. I just found the solution. I noticed that there was an "unknown" item in the list of parts. I clicked on that and one of the options was to remove unknow so once I did that everything worked as it should.
  4. G

Modified part in assembly

I know that I did something that probably was not according to the rules. I have been making an assembly of the individual parts as I progress with the overall design. I was not sure if what I was trying to change would work so I had a part "cylinder" so I saved as "cylinderMOD" and made the...
  5. G

Drawing from model

OK I had created a template some time ago but I cannot find where I can edit and save the options. I know that I have done it in the past but I am missing it now.
  6. G

Creating sketch in new part

When I create a new sketch when making a new part how do I place the sketches? For instance when I want to draw a circle I can draw it at some random position and then dimension it to place it in the proper position. That is fine until I accidently placed it too close to the reference point. I...
  7. G

Drawing from model

When I make a drawing from a model how do I save my options preferences? In the past I changed it but I cannot find where I did it now. I want to show things like hidden lines and center lines and not show dimensions etc. Now when I create the new drawing I have to go to the options and change them.
  8. G

Update assembly drawing

The problem is that I worked with my old CAD program for 30+ years and that is hard wired into my old brain. I am 84 years old and now only use CAD for my hobby so weeks may go by when I do not use it at all. I used Visual CADD which used two letter commands and coordinates could be entered...
  9. G

Update assembly drawing

I am referring to a 3D drawing. I am doing things like making a base plate and then adding a square block on top of that and then going back to that block and adding features, like mounting holes, cutouts etc. as the overall design progresses. I spent the last 30+ years working with 2D cad and...
  10. G

Update assembly drawing

OK I understand but not my preferred method. Frequently the features that I am trying to verify or modify are hidden or at least hard to access in the assembly drawing. I will play around with it and see if that works.
  11. G

Update assembly drawing

OK. If I already have that part open in another window should I close the window which is currently open? I frequently keep the separate part drawings open so that I can go back to them to verify dimensions and design features etc. I frequently do not complete the part drawing until I see how...
  12. G

Update assembly drawing

How do I get assembly drawings to update to reflect changes made to individual part drawings? When I make a change to a part and then go back to the assembly drawing it does not reflect these changes. The way I have been doing it is to close the assembly drawing and then open it again. It seem...
  13. G

Motion in assembly

OK That was the problem. I had removed some constraints because I was having a problem with things being over constrained. I guess that I removed something which should have stayed. Thanks.
  14. G

Regenerate in assembly

OK That makes sense. I will modify parts from the assembly. Usually I am just adding reference axis or planes to aid placement.
  15. G

Regenerate in assembly

Is there a way to regenerate parts in an assembly after a part has been modified? Help says just click regen.. I don't see that option. The only way I have found is to close the assembly and the parts are updated when I reload. Atom3D