What's new

Recent content by kcoffield

1. K

Lofting with 3D Guide Curves - Fails

That variation is useful and similar to the method ExMachina teaches for continuous tangent on 3D splines. I'll need to keep learning and practicing making useable 3D guide lines and gives me a few more tools to work with. It's a skill central to almost every project I do. As always, thanks for...
  2. K

Thanks Harold. I think I've watched that video of Konstantino's a half dozen times now. Your loft looks excellent. The thing that was a big bonus was there didn't seem to be any twist. Any twist can potentially pose a problem for the next steps.......splitting it on the parting line and mounting...
  3. K

I decided that learning to build better 3D lofting guide lines can wait for another day. Sweeps are far more tolerant so I did a thin sweep of a round profile on the 3D centerlines, then added the D-shaped floor with another guided sweep with draft, then mirrored the features. -Moving on. Best...
  4. K

Thanks Harold, I appreciate the reply. When I check (failed) loft status I get the same status as the error message. I guess I didn't make the connection with the error stating the line wasn't continuous with it not being aligned properly to the lofting faces. You certainly got farther than I...
  5. K

I did not (intentionally) bring those other features into the 3D sketch for the 3D guide Lines, and although I see what you are referring to, I'm not certain they are actually part of the 3D sketches. When I globally toggle off sketches, and activate/edit 3D Sketch for Inner or Outer Runner CL...
  6. K

So having gotten by the simple part thanks to Stu, I tried centerline lofting with the 3D guide lines and the lofts fail. I did find a small error in the outer guide curve position and fixed that on the updated file attached below but it did not matter. When I created the 2D geometry used to...
  7. K

Thanks Stu. Easy fix. It never occurred to me that something later/farther down in the Un-generated DE could control and earlier feature like that. Thank you. Best, Kelly
  8. K

The attached file is a bit of a mess, but it was all done to generate the 3D spline guide curves for the sweeps and lofts. I used the method in this video which teaches using the edge formed by the intersection of two surfaces and then project to sketch to capture the curve. One difference...
  9. K

Display of Shelled Model

Thanks David. So on my Q1& Q2 above, since an object's status can still display as normal in DE with feature errors, as a matter of good practice, should I be using check part after each additional object in a model is created and remedy any errors if present? -Similar to using analyze on each...
  10. K

Display of Shelled Model

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that David. I think I've I learned something very valuble here. I haven't been using "check part" but found it on the inspect menue. Now I just need to get better at understanding what it's telling me and how to fix the errors :) I looked at the...
  11. K

Display of Shelled Model

After messing with it for a while, I opened up a new window and shelled some simple geometry and they all appeared to function and display normally so I assumed it was something I had inadvertently done in the attached file. Best, Kelly
  12. K

Display of Shelled Model

Hopefully this is a simple one for you experienced fellas. After I shelled the solid in the first picture, it displays as transparent instead of a solid grey model with a 1/4" wall, and it displays all construction lines inside and out. I went to the view tab in the shelled picture, and you can...
  13. K

Novice Qs and Shelling and Filleting Solids

I completed this project and thought I'd just add one more post here for closure and to again thanks the folks here that helped me down the learning curve. I'm still very much the novice but at least am much better at fully constraining sketches, have a much better understanding parametric...
  14. K

Thank you very much K for your time and patience. Video is only minutes old so should be viewable. It is at least when I select it. Let me know if not so after a while. Best, Kelly
  15. K

Just a follow up on this project and thanks again for all the help I received from forum members along the way. The lost foam casting pattern has been completed. Best, Kelly