What's new

Search results

1. Stuart

Scripting sketch dimensions with named parameters

I found the answer, I think. After adding the dimension, you get the parameter by 'Dn' and set the equation to the name of the parameter.
  2. Stuart

Scripting sketch dimensions with named parameters

I'm making a part with many configurations. For each configuration a parameter value will be changed. In the script, I've created the part, the parameter that will change with each configuration, and a feature. In the feature there is a sketch with a circle. I want the dimension of the...
  3. Stuart

Project to Sketch Usage

I agree about the master layout sketch. I started making sketches that are only used to project to another sketch that is then turned into a feature. That helps. I'm about 95% project as a reference maintain association. I iterate designs a LOT, so projections invariably get broken. Not...
  4. Stuart

Project to Sketch Usage

Note that when a projected sketch with *maintain association* is broken/lost because of a change higher in the feature list, you won't find out until you notice it's no longer maintaining the association. The little "T-arrow" symbol will still be there. There will be no status change where...
  5. Stuart

Simple question: How to make the Z axis be up/down

Alibre seems to want to force everyone to think like a legacy mechanical engineer and doesn't want to adapt their software for 3D Printing and "consumer" CNC machines. "Top" and "Front" etc. do not match 3D printers and some CNC software. IMO they're going to lose a growing user base if they...
  6. Stuart

Can we please get Min and Max functions

Comparing the Alibre EE to Excel, etc. is a false equivalency. Only Alibre has types like distance and angles. Those other systems are just numbers and you can make as many mistakes as you like and it has no way of knowing. Alibre does catch some type errors, but not others. Distance...
  7. Stuart

There's really no need for a count type symbol like #. "Distance" is a distance type parameter. Count is a count type parameter. "Distance + 3": the 3 can be assumed to be mm or in since it is being operated on a distance parameter. "Count - 1": the 1 can be assumed to be a count since it is...
  8. Stuart

Part of the confusion may be the use of the term "units". Units are mm, inches, feet, degrees, radians, etc. The problem is with the interpretation of the TYPE of the constant literal number. The type of a number is determined by the context, i.e. the type of the value it's being operated on...
  9. Stuart

I showed you screenshots where the EE fails, giving a invalid data message on valid input and your response is to ask if I was "annoyed" with having to use the workaround of two stages. I was simply showing a bug. I've written 3 separate equation parsers/evaluation libraries. I know what a...
  10. Stuart

In this case I'm referring to literal constants like 2.5, rather than constants in the EE like Pi. The problem is that the EE parsing / processing is weak / broken in some cases and should be fixed. I bothers me that Tech Support is so focused on work-arounds. I shouldn't have to preface an...
  11. Stuart

+1000! I would love to know the status of bugs and feature requests I've submitted to support.
  12. Stuart

A constant is just a number, unitless, which is why I put "units" in quotes. There needs to be a way to say a constant value is just a number. Otherwise it seems to be interpreted as something else. I'm not sure, because the error is simply not valid. Here's acouple of examples of failures...
  13. Stuart

The constants not having "units" is definitely a problem (please make an entry for the ability to add a "unit"), but I think I've had this with parameters too. I'll see if I can dig up an example this weekend. It's usually when the formula has multiple components in it. I just thought of...
  14. Stuart

Thanks. The types should always be the same. Please also add an entry that a distance or angle */ by a count or scale should always result in a distance or angle. If needed, parenthesis could be required to enforce this rule (operator precedence). I regularly have to make additional...
  15. Stuart

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wasn't asking for a solution. I know there are convoluted ways to get the same result. For my current needs, I've decided to use the option of manually picking the correct value over using multiple sketches and extrusions or very unreadable equations. In...
  16. Stuart

Should Alibre Equation Editor have Min() and Max() functions?

Referring to https://www.alibre.com/forum/index.php?threads/can-we-please-get-min-and-max-functions.24626/, would you like the Equation Editor to have Min(X,Y) and Max(X,Y) functions?
  17. Stuart

I don't remember how it was submitted, probably an email back before Alibre was sold. I've wanted it from day one.
  18. Stuart

Can you find out why my long standing request has never been implemented? As a software developer, I know time isn't the issue. Is it that not enough people would use it?
  19. Stuart

You're adding +2. It's the Max of (X + 1, Y +1) == Max (X, Y) + Max (1, 1). You only want to use the +1 of the one value used, X or Y, not the +1 from both X and Y.
  20. Stuart

That's exactly why the function would be so useful. Two "Max(X,Y)" instead of two detailed sketches and four extrusions. Why do simple but powerful functions like this never get implemented? I'd much rather have this than new toolbar graphics.