What's new

Search results

1. B

I need advice/suggestions on which path to take

Your response is so information-dense that it might be difficult to respond to every piece directly :), but here are some of my thoughts: 1) I'm already working with several operating systems, many frameworks, a couple of languages (neither of which are in the .NET universe), and Alibre Design...
  2. B

Interesting. It appears there's probably a way around some of this. "...URDF uses a tree structure to represent robot kinematics, which does not permit closed loops like a 4-bar linkage. SDFormat is able to model closed kinematic loops because it uses a graph structure. Since gazebo converts...
  3. B

KeyShot Exporting

Thanks @HaroldL
  4. B

Hi all, I would appreciate some advice on which path to take in order to achieve my goal. I want to load a robot that I designed in Alibre Design and train it using Reinforcement Learning. For that, I ultimately need to express it in URDF or SDF format. I need to make an informed decision...
  5. B

KeyShot Exporting

Does anyone here have the full KeyShot Pro license that unlocks the other export formats? What I'm ultimately interested in finding out is if the joint/constraint information is somehow preserved in the USD format, because I see a potential path from Alibre Design-> KeyShot -> USD -> SDF ->...
  6. B

Question about Behavior of Multiple Instances of an Assembly

As a follow-up, I appear to have found a solution. Rather than inserting multiple instances of the same Assembly into a design, I've saved multiple copies of that Assembly, created by "save as" from within Alibre Design (rather than copy-and-paste from the Windows system). I seem to remember...
  7. B

Question about Behavior of Multiple Instances of an Assembly

Hi, I have an Assembly (A) made up of several Sub-Assemblies (a1, a2, a3), and constrained in such a way that it behaves properly when moving Parts around. I intend to use multiple instances of Assembly A as Sub-Assemblies of a larger Assembly (B). Each Assembly A is constrained to a base in...
  8. B

URDF / XACRO from Assembly

Great, thanks for the lead. I'll poke around and see if I can get anywhere with it.
  9. B

Continuing on this thread that will hopefully ultimately lead to a URDF generator, how does one use AlibreScript to access the Constraints defined within an Assembly? The only reference to Constraints that I've found so far is the enum documentation. Is there a way to determine how Parts are...
  10. B

Assemblies, Sub-assemblies, and Constraints

Thanks @tyc , Works like a charm. Cheers, Bruce
  11. B

Assemblies, Sub-assemblies, and Constraints

Hi, I have a relatively complex assembly (at least for me) that has a number of moving pieces that took quite a while for me to get to behave as intended. I would like to create a larger assembly made up of multiple instances of the aforementioned assembly, and have the associated constraints...
  12. B

This is great! Thanks, Nate, it works like a charm. Cheers, Bruce
  13. B

Thanks Nate, impressive that you basically did that in your head! ;) I've learned a lot so far. I had some minor issues with the path, but was able to get past it after adding some debugging-related code. I make no claims about the elegance of the changes. The gives the following error for...
  14. B

Ok, next question is, does anyone know whether or not it's currently possible to use Alibre Script to programmatically compute the physical properties of a Part (Volume, Mass, Surface Area, Center of Mass, Moments of Inertia, etc...) instead of using the Inspect->Physical Properties menu item?
  15. B

Nevermind, it's just assembly.Parts. :rolleyes:
  16. B

Hi folks, Preamble: I'm into robotics, and I'm getting to the point where I want to convert my assembly to URDF/XACRO + STL to load into PyBullet. I'm aware that ROS has a means of doing so that involves Gazebo, but it's quite cumbersome for my purposes, and I don't want to set up a massive...
  17. B

Using scaled parts as ribs

Interesting...this might be exactly what I need. Thanks again!!
  18. B

Thanks for the suggestion, Harold. I have Alibre Design Expert v26. I will have to explore a bit before I understand what you're referring to.
  19. B

Thanks for the suggestion, David. I appreciate it. I will also spend some time learning the difference between parts and features. Cheers, Bruce
  20. B

Hi, I've created a part/feature from a sketch using boss extrude, and added it to my catalog. I then did a non-uniform scaling of this part to create another part that is 0.8 of the original in one axis. My intention is to ultimately use a bunch of parts as "ribs" through which I will do a...