What's new

Search results

1. SherpaDoug

How to change XYZ axis directions?

My Alibre has the Y axis pointing what appears on the screen to be up. X points to the upper right, and Z to the lower right. This has not been an issue until I started designing parts of 3D printing. Now I find I instinctively visualize the XZ plane as the build plate of the printer. As a...
  2. SherpaDoug

How to export sheet metal flat pattern as .dwg?

I have modeled a sheet metal (sheet cardboard) part and I can unfold it with flat pattern. But how do I export it as something like a .dwg file so I can feed it to my laser cutter? There must be an obvious way that I just can't find.
  3. SherpaDoug

Is the Tutorial viewer broken?

When I open a multi-page tutorial, such as "Sheet Metal" or "Cylinder Head Cover" I don't see any way to get past the first page. There are no forward arrows or "next" buttons. There is no vertical slider on the right. How do you get to page 2?
  4. SherpaDoug

Placing gears PD tangent

I need to place several gears in mesh in a gearbox. I don't really need to model the gear teeth, but they are commercial gears and I would prefer to use the manufacturer's STEP models if I can. I could also model them as simple disks. But is there an easy can I use Assembly Constraints to...
  5. SherpaDoug

Rotate axes relative to part or vise versa

I made a beautiful part to produce on my 3D printer with one problem. I made the part on edge. Think of the Eiffel tower pointing East instead of Up. There are probably 3rd party G-code tools to fix the printer files but I would rather fix the problem at its source in the Alibre part model...
  6. SherpaDoug

How to make perforated tube?

I want to make a tube with radial holes like a heat shield around a muffler, but I can't figure out how to start! I can make a tube but do I need to add tangent planes and sketches for each hole or is there something simpler? SherpaDoug Alibre v11.2
  7. SherpaDoug

Newbie STL export to Slic3r problem

I am trying to use Alibre Design v11.2 to export a STL file to Pronterface/slic3r for my Printrbot. For now I am trying to use the Alibre tutorial part Pull_Handle.stp. I export the STL file using default settings. I can see the part in EasyFIT or Netfabb studio, but slic3r says it detects no...
  8. SherpaDoug

How to go from Assembly to sketch?

I have an assembly consisting of a bearing downloaded from a vendor website, and a shaft I have built up from basic geometry. It all looks nice in 3D. Next I have to design a bushing to fill the annular gap between these parts. I would like to view the assembly, select a plane that bisects the...
  9. SherpaDoug

How to create sketch on shaft centerline?

I have a shaft extruded from a circle, with a number of radial features. Now I want to add some transverse features like a keyway. I can make a sketch on the YZ plane which bisects the shaft and shows a cross section lengthwise of the shaft, but it has few selectable lines. Specifically the...