What's new

2018 Impressions

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Not that great to be honest.

I have run into a few issues already, some old, some new.

The old:
- missing/transparent faces
- attempt to change record marked as deleted
- corruption when using text in sketches (has been reported with 2017 already)

The new:
- a lot of lag. Opening/closing files, using the homepage.
- graphical glitches (blank screen, red X, missing toolbar icons, pop-ups that don't close)
- seen some strange behaviour with exported step files. Still testing this.

Bummed.:(

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Export to Keyshot doesn't work. Exported bip files not opened by Keyshot either (7.1)

Installed KS 7.3

Doesn't even open.

KS7.3 may or may not be down to AD but the old version should have worked.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Export to Keyshot doesn't work. Exported bip files not opened by Keyshot either (7.1)

Installed KS 7.3

Doesn't even open.

KS7.3 may or may not be down to AD but the old version should have worked.
Not had any issues with Keyshot export on 2018 and 7.1.x or 7.3.x and I'm using it most of the day at the moment.

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Hi BigSeb,

Sorry to hear of the issues which you are experiencing. I have reached out to you via email in hopes to work solutions to them.

Kindest Regards,

DesignTime

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I too have ran into pop-ups that don't close. It happened when I exited a sketch had some errors (I.E. open loop). I got the error dialog box, but was flashing. I had to use task manger to exit out of Alibre!

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the information, RocketNut. We will do some internal testing and see what we can replicate.

Regards,

DesignTime

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Hi RocketNut,

I have been unable to reproduce any pop-ups that won't close. I was mainly testing with Open Loop sketches via your input from above.

I do notice that if I have edited a part, and then click on the work space's "X" to close the work space, the Save Changes dialog appears. If I then click anywhere on the work space other than the Save Changes dialog, then the dialog will flash 5 times then stop flashing. Is this similar to the issue which you reported?

It is a possibility that the issue you are encountering was caused by another open work space on your computer, or something that needed to be "finished" or "closed out" on that work space?

If you have a file that displays the issue, please send it our way so we may take a look at it.

Regards,

DesignTime

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi RocketNut,

I have been unable to reproduce any pop-ups that won't close. I was mainly testing with Open Loop sketches via your input from above.

I do notice that if I have edited a part, and then click on the work space's "X" to close the work space, the Save Changes dialog appears. If I then click anywhere on the work space other than the Save Changes dialog, then the dialog will flash 5 times then stop flashing. Is this similar to the issue which you reported?

It is a possibility that the issue you are encountering was caused by another open work space on your computer, or something that needed to be "finished" or "closed out" on that work space?

If you have a file that displays the issue, please send it our way so we may take a look at it.

Regards,

DesignTime
In my case the pop-ups that don't close are, for example, the ones you get when you mouse over feature button in the feature toolbar. Or RC on a design tree item... that little menu that says edit, suppress, etc. Or an error message pop-up. And its random, doesn't happen all the time. For the most part AD behaves. BHowever this is a new issue.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Support link wasn't included in this round. The reason was that we didn't have time to find a solution to correctly route international customers to their reseller. We will consider this in the future.

Nick952

Strange one here, when Holding the "Shift" key down to select multiple items.

If I use the larger Shift key (on the RH side of my laptops keyboard), the Multiple Selections work perfectly. However if I try the same operation on the same part, but using the Smaller Shift Key (on the LH side of the keyboard),I have to Double Click this key on the first selected feature, for the Multiple Selection to work correctly.

This same behaviour occurs when using AlibreCam 2017, within Alibre 2018

I do not recall experiencing this problem within any of the Alibre 2017 builds, or AlibreCam 2017 within Alibre 2017. But I can assure you it didn't happen in the 2014 versions that I had previously on the same (this) laptop.

The Smaller Shift key works flawlessly when used for typing (as in this post), so I don't think it's a keyboard fault.

UPDATE :- As of May 2018, this no longer happens and the both Shift Keys work as expected (possibly due to a windows update)

Last edited:

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Hi RocketNut,

Regards,

DesignTime

Sorry for the delay, the e-mail notification seems to be not working.

The attached file has a screen capture video (showing the error/lock up) and the part file.

Attachments

• Alibre Files.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 8

bigseb

Alibre Super User
More problems:

- Opened a drawing created in 2017. The borders had changed to a different layer (i.e. from black solid to orange dot-dashed)
- Blank screen again.
- Lag lag lag. I consider myself an advanced user and generally fly through designs. Now it seems like the software can't keep up.
- Crashes. A few. Seems AD is even more fragile now.

I took screenshots but forgot to copy them to my flashdrive.

Alexander

I'm also experiencing a slower performance overall, and more random crashes.......'fragile' indeed bigseb.

Idahoan

I'm also experiencing a slower performance overall, and more random crashes.......'fragile' indeed bigseb.

Yes I have noticed the slowing as well; adding new parts to an assembly is also much slower than before. I have a HP Z600 Workstation with 16gb of ram, I wouldn't think that my PC is at fault.

Hopefully the guys will get a handle on it.

Dave