What's new

2018 Impressions

Rob2beans

This is a new issue for me on Alibre 2018. This has happened many times to me where I load up an assembly and i get this unexpected error where it says the file is being used by another program. As far as i can tell it is not?!

I find if I shutdown the program and restart it, it will load, not favorable.
upload_2018-4-22_12-51-23.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Contact support - send in your alibre.log series of files for analysis (from the log files link on Utilities tab of home window).

Some issues that didn't show up during in-house and beta testing are hitting some users. An update is in the works, but extra feedback can only help.

RwSkinner

I'm seeing this a lot ! If I close Alibre then restart everything is okay. It's always a stp file to.
The other thing is many of my desktop icons got jacked up when Alibre updated. Mostly pdf's.

Richard

This is a new issue for me on Alibre 2018. This has happened many times to me where I load up an assembly and i get this unexpected error where it says the file is being used by another program. As far as i can tell it is not?!

I find if I shutdown the program and restart it, it will load, not favorable.
View attachment 25778

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I seem to recall a previous post suggesting that files loaded from ,,,\\Temp\\ directories can be a bit dodgy. I cannot think of a reason why that would cause them to generate a file in use error but it might be worth a try to relocated that file to another folder.
-jimpulse

simonb65

Alibre Super User
As @DavidJ says, please contact support. I have been working with them all week to identify and fix the issue being discussed from post #22 to here.

dsage

Minor annoyance:
When Alibre is launched the splash screen occupies a certain portion of the screen (not full). I see the part I was previously working on so I click it. The screen shuffles around and (I think) changes position. I have to re-click the part to get it to open.
No big deal I guess but annoying.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Here's a new thing that I have picked up on in 2018:

I use boolean functions a lot. I also use configurations a lot. Sometimes (cos its random) an assembly will fail to open. When this happens I have to open all the parts and cycle through the configs and save. Then open all the sub-assemblies and cycle through the configs snd save. Only then will the main assembly open. A huge time suck. And it all takes so loooong.

AD has gotten more and more fragile. Currently it can't perform at the level I need it to.

Idahoan

Minor annoyance:
When Alibre is launched the splash screen occupies a certain portion of the screen (not full). I see the part I was previously working on so I click it. The screen shuffles around and (I think) changes position. I have to re-click the part to get it to open.
No big deal I guess but annoying.

I have run into this as well, when you go to the splash screen and click on the file you want, then it re-shuffles and you didn't open the file that you had intended. I think it is related to the whole slow down of the new version.

Dave

GIOV

Alibre Super User
....Some good impressions.
I have made the exercise of the Shelf with GP included. It doing well included to update the sheet Drawing with its all measures. Require some trick but was feasible at the end. Only the upper shelf doesn't have the same distance to the Top Panel of 6+1/2". It's 7+1/2" and must be corrected into the GP equations.
I am including the file for all that are interested:;)
upload_2018-4-23_18-6-7.png

Attachments

• Shelf.zip
    193.6 KB · Views: 5

dsage

Polygon Tool Dialog:
This is not new but I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed. When you use the Polygon drawing tool you enter the number of sides and then click where you want the polygon to be placed. Then you drag the shape to increase or decrease the size BUT you can't enter the size like you can for other drawing dialogs. You have to leave it some unwanted size by clicking and then go back and edit the size with the dimension tool. Simple a pain in the butt.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Polygon Tool Dialog:
This is not new but I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed. When you use the Polygon drawing tool you enter the number of sides and then click where you want the polygon to be placed. Then you drag the shape to increase or decrease the size BUT you can't enter the size like you can for other drawing dialogs. You have to leave it some unwanted size by clicking and then go back and edit the size with the dimension tool. Simple a pain in the butt.
+1, I think the key issue is that it's not the same intuitive workflow (i.e. not consistent) with all the other 'sketch shape' methods ... which it should be and really needs to be,

... saying that, to be able to size the polygon by diameter OR side length, as well as add a rotational element, does not lend itself as easily as other shapes to use the edit box entry method ... or does it?

dsage

+1, I think the key issue is that it's not the same intuitive workflow (i.e. not consistent) with all the other 'sketch shape' methods ... which it should be and really needs to be,

... saying that, to be able to size the polygon by diameter OR side length, as well as add a rotational element, does not lend itself as easily as other shapes to use the edit box entry method ... or does it?

Yes. Exactly. I was too verbose.
Well, the dialog lets you select what you want to dimension so it follows that it should allow you to enter a value. In addition it's unclear what you should do once you enter the number of sides. If you enter for instance 3 and press <enter> it immediately draws the shape some default size and finishes the dialog.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If you enter for instance 3 and press <enter> it immediately draws the shape some default size and finishes the dialog.
If you press Apply, its draws the polygon, However, you can still change the number of sides and it will show in the polygon shape. It is only committed once you close the dialog. When placing the polygon, you can take advantage of auto constraints to other sketch items (not just the centre, but the reference circle too, i.e. tangent, etc.). It isn't intuitive, but it is very flexible.

dsage

If you press Apply, its draws the polygon, However, you can still change the number of sides and it will show in the polygon shape. It is only committed once you close the dialog. When placing the polygon, you can take advantage of auto constraints to other sketch items (not just the centre, but the reference circle too, i.e. tangent, etc.). It isn't intuitive, but it is very flexible.
Hmm. That's interesting to know. I hadn't picked up on that. As you said it's not really as intuitive as many other dialogs. IMHO it could use some work just the same.

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
Hi BigSeb and RocketNut,

We would like to investigate some of the items which you are reporting with V2018 on your machines. Our Development team is requesting some files. Please go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming and zip up the Alibre Design folder and send it to support@alibre.com

Thanks,

DesignTime