What's new

2019- List of New Features or Fixes

Max

Administrator
Staff member
What is actually needed to change Add-On's to run in AD2019 without resorting to Legacy Display mode? i.e. What migration information have you supplied to Mecsoft? Can you make this info available to other add-on providers too please.

In short addons that draw on our canvas have to use a different mechanism to do so. Not all addons draw on the canvas, and those should be fine.

We engaged Mecsoft months ago on this and they have an internal schedule, the details of which you would need to ask them about.

If anyone has an addon you've written and you need technical details to change it, email Ashok @ alibre. com and we can provide guidance.

Last edited:

autocart

This platform also sets us up to be able to do lots of things :
  1. Texturing, for whole parts but also for things like showing threads with images, a highly requested feature
Hi Max,
I thought that "showing threads with images" means cosmetic threads in the 3d model, e.g. when equipping a hole with a metric thread.
In the new beta version I can not see a cosmetic thread. Or is it my graphics card? Because I am temporarily running on low graphics (Intel HD 4600), since my dedicated card stopped working.
Regards, S.

autocart

Max's comment indicates a possible future feature, and not one that has been implemented yet!
Oh, ok, it sounded like it (in context), but by very accuratly sticking to the letters of this single comment of Max, it is true that this comment does not explicitly mention this for 2019.

Ydl

Hey Max - just wondering if the new rendering pipeline opens up any VR possibilities in the future. I would LOVE a VR workspace and it boggles my mind that this isn't really a thing across more 3D CAD spaces.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Max - just wondering if the new rendering pipeline opens up any VR possibilities in the future. I would LOVE a VR workspace and it boggles my mind that this isn't really a thing across more 3D CAD spaces.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_3D_Vision

A possible step towards what you are looking for - though not full immersive VR.

Looks like it never gained enough traction to take off. The point is the technology doesn't need to be in the specific application.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member

Yes actually. HOOPS has this feature in development. There's a lot more that goes into it though - making a UI / user experience for VR is non-trivial. I'm a VR enthusiast myself. I could perhaps see a feature-subset product that was geared for a few specific things in VR potentially, but not the whole application. But there are bigger fish right now :D

Max

Administrator
Staff member
HOOPS is the name of the product we license for graphics and import/export now. Previously, Alibre Design was on a home-grown graphics pipeline.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Does the 'arbitrary face colouring' thing have any implications for Keyshot?
Here we are 2 years later on ... and yes, it does, but in one way it's good, but it breaks existing functionality! Hopefully a fix is going to be released soon as it has increased my workload and process, not improved it.

JST

Alibre Super User
A few things here. DirectX 9, on which our previous pipeline was built, will end of life shortly. Our option was to custom write a new pipeline again (bad) or use a component.

I hope that is the OLD one, and not an indication that our new graphics cards are sunsetting also.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I hope that is the OLD one, and not an indication that our new graphics cards are sunsetting also.
Well your GPU is already a whole two years old. That's ancient in tech terms. Best upgrade soonest!!

;):D Just kidding you'll be fine.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Well your GPU is already a whole two years old. That's ancient in tech terms. Best upgrade soonest!!
You running Windows 10? If yes you'll have it installed already...
Hi Sebastian,
I am not fan to have a super software that is commercially dependent to the monthly updated GPU. Only a fan a software that give to me the necessary tools for my daily work. If you like a super graphic device that in really doesn't need to achieve an accurate mold box may be your priority is the video games!!!. or I am wrong?:)

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi Sebastian,
I am not fan to have a super software that is commercially dependent to the monthly updated GPU. Only a fan a software that give to me the necessary tools for my daily work. If you like a super graphic device that in really doesn't need to achieve an accurate mold box may be your priority is the video games!!!. or I am wrong?:)
Not really sure what your question is...