What's new

Alibre & Calculix- shell elements?

TimoCAD

In PrePomax this file loads as 3 different parts (while it is in IGES), but after loading this in STL (converted on some website converter) it loads as one part- it's very strange for me, and I have absolutly no idea (maybe someone could help me with this)- while there is no possibility of exporting surface (shell) model directly to the STL (or STP file), from Alibre.

yesterday I used FreeCad to import IGES file from Alibre, and save as STL- to import in PrePoMax- it also worked fine, the same as using online converter

Already checked it, as there was video on offical YT channel of PrePoMax author, about calculating shell parts- but for unknown reason I have a problem during meshing compound (compound at all doesn't work on mine computer the same as on that video)- I think that it could be connected with Calculix version I have- I will check some other version, maybe it will be a solution for problem with meshing compunds.

Thanks a lot!, so next step, for me, will be learning of Salome also :)

Could you tell, which of my files did you used as file imported in Salome? Shell (IGES), or solid model?
Both of them are working. But you should better use the solid and volume elements tet10. It's a small part, so the time shouldn't be long for calculating. On my machine about 34s.

Adi

Thanks, I forgot to change mesh parameters (i just meshed this part, without even looking on meshing parameters), to "Quad dominated", and after reading your post I wanted to do that.. but I found that files made in "my way", using online converter can't be meshed with option "quad dominated", where this option is visible (and posible to choose), when importet file was in IGES- ok so it's the anser on my problem- Salome (or other similar program) is probably for now the only way to do that in proper way.

SergioP.

View attachment 33158
model made in "my" strange way, with converting file formats also works, but after I will lern how to use Salome, I will compare the both ways of solving this my problem- I wonder if the results of both calculations will be the comparable- as there could be some problems with "my way" , I think.

About comparing shells vs solid elements in CalculiX, I have made several models and they perform very well (very similar results), you must take in count that there is a bug in case of using simmetry boundary conditions on shells, I´m waiting for the next release to see if they improve it.

Take a look at this example of a skid in a modal analisys, I have done the 3D modeling at work using Solidedge, then meshed in Salome with hexas and quads, and then have used Mecway to apply boundary conditions and materials. CalculiX was the solver in both cases

Adi

I known, that solid model can give very simmilar to shell models results ( if you have at lest 3 elements per dimension which in shell model will be 1 element (as thikness value),

As 2 different ways I meant two different ways of preparation of shell model (not calculating shell or solid)- one which was suggested here by You- to use Salome, and the second one, with conversion from iges to stl, but as I mentioned in previous post- at my "method" there is problem with PrePoMax, becouse there was no possible to create proper quad mesh- there is no such option in meshing parameters :confused:

Last edited:

Hunter

testSURFACE.igs meshes fine in CAD Processor (3 separate faces)
upload_2021-4-5_17-28-58.png

Here's what it looks like in Strand7 R3, free edges in light grey/white. Also meshes fine.
upload_2021-4-5_17-39-50.png

Adi

Thanks, I see tht PrePoMax doesn't accept IGS files (or.. it accept them, but have problems with proper opening) I managed to convert files from Alibre (IGES) to stl/stp by using free softare (even website converters works), I will get back to the tests of cooperation of Alibre and PrePoMax after recovery from ilness.