What's new

alibre on Mac OS (Apple)

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re: alibre on Mac OS (Apple)

eberendsen said:
Does Alibre Design work with a Mac OS?

I dreamt of that two days ago, when the new Mac Mini arrived :)

Sadly it's not possible today and probably never...

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I could be wrong, but I just don't think there is anywhere near the market needed to justify porting Alibre to Mac.

I guess if mister Jobs wasn't so narrow minded/greedy, we would all be using Apples today and the world would be a better place. :D

Nope, but amazingly Rhino3d runs good emulated. I imagine that Alibre would run as long as you allocate it a lot of ram and don't work with too terribly complicated assemblies.

A

Anonymous

What about a Linux version? All the big dogs run on Linux. I guess the partnership with Microsoft that Alibre touts will rule that one out forever.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

lenitech said:
What about a Linux version? All the big dogs run on Linux. I guess the partnership with Microsoft that Alibre touts will rule that one out forever.

Linux....a step away from unix....... a step away from Mac OS X.......

If there were one then they could all be done with minor adjustments. Justr don't see this happening due to the market. However you can never tell. I would have loved a good reason to buy the new mini Mac with the dual intel chips.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Hi

my name is Ralf and I write from Germany, please excuse my bad English language.

I have worked with Alibre very successfully on iMac for a week:
iMac:
2 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 MB L2 cache
1,5 GB RAM
250 GB Serial ATA
20" Monitor absolut fantastic !!!!
ATI Radeon X 1600 / 128 MB GDDR3 SDRAM

I have the Mac started and Boot camp downloaded,
Mac OS X v 10.4 Tiger Software Update,
Firmware Update!!!
A MAC driver CD burned,
A second partition for XP made,
XP install,
Mac driver install,
Mac newly started and Alibre installed ...

Alibre RUNS ABSOLUTELY STABLY and so FAST as my DELL precision 370
3,6 GHz HT
2 MB L2 cache
3 GB RAM
2 x 80 GB
nVidia FX 1400/ 128 MB

I have tested it with the large assemblies from "Avalanche Blast"
500-1400 parts

After 3 hours I was very happy and have a Mac and my Alibre finally again! :D
Who does not believe it can pay me a visit in Bavaria ! :wink:

Best regards

Ralf
Alibre Design Germany

indesign

Alibre Super User

:x <envy showing through :oops:

Would love one of those macs with dual core and loaded with dual boot....geeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Best of both worlds!

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Hi Tim,

It still comes to that:
- the IMac is absolutely noiseless
- no cable heap, 1cable for power connection
- 2 USB connections in the keyboard ! (I do not have to crawl around at the floor under the desk ...
- You can edit data with the two systems with an external USB hard disk FAT 32

I am really pleased to work with the Mac again. :D
Still a tip: @ = ALT GR + Q

Ralf

indesign

Alibre Super User

I am still running my powermac G4 but would not dare do an emulator on it. I like the fact you can dual boot (even though it is not officially suported by Apple). Once I win the lottery I will go get one of those. :roll:

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

We had the Apples and Macs way back when at work, before MS copied the MAC and started Windows. No doubt, had Steve Jobs and Apple not fallen out and Bill Gates not been so slick, we would all be using a superior platform.

Out of curiousity, I visited the Apple website. For sure, Apple is marketing some great products. Quite tempting. Perhaps when my daughter goes to college... one for her and one for us.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Speaking of kids...

Over 12 years of owning a Mac and not once did I have to reformat due to a virus or system error or any reason other than the one hardrive crash (even that was a larger drive not from Apple).

Over 98% of all viruses are design to hit a Windows system. I still use my Apple for billing, book keeping, Interent, graphics, movie editing etc.. A 400mhz apple still edits a movie faster than a 1.8ghz Windows system.

Got an old mac my wife wants me to get rid of but just can't throw it out so maybe ebay to a loving home. :lol:

mogman

dual boot on a G4

Hi Tim,

you wrote earlier, that you wouldn't dare to run emulation on your G4. But what do you mean with dual boot on a G4? Does that really work on a G4? If so do you have any idea where to get more info?
Btw, I've got Rhino run nicely on my G4 in virtual PC 7.1; even RhinoCAM runs fine (though slow). The only thing I really need is get Alibre to run on it as well. It loads properly with all the toolbars but the drawing area remains dark.

Thanks&rgds kd

demarchi

Re: dual boot on a G4

mogman said:
The only thing I really need is get Alibre to run on it as well. It loads properly with all the toolbars but the drawing area remains dark.

For you information, it happens the same thing in a windows PC with a really low level graphic card, or in case the drivers are not updated to the latest directX version. I have no experience with mac (the ones I used kept on freezing) neither with emulators, but I would suggest you to investigate the directX emulation.

Massimo

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re: dual boot on a G4

mogman said:
Hi Tim,

you wrote earlier, that you wouldn't dare to run emulation on your G4. But what do you mean with dual boot on a G4? Does that really work on a G4? If so do you have any idea where to get more info?
Btw, I've got Rhino run nicely on my G4 in virtual PC 7.1; even RhinoCAM runs fine (though slow). The only thing I really need is get Alibre to run on it as well. It loads properly with all the toolbars but the drawing area remains dark.

Thanks&rgds kd
Na, didn't mean the dual boot as that is not possible. My G4 is only 400 mhz and a windows emulator would run so slow it would not be worth using. If my G4 was a newer one I may have considered it but the Virtual PC would runlike a 200 mhz pc and I just can't see trying it. The computer I run Alibre on is a 3.2 ghz system and I think it is still slow. (windows sucks)

mogman

Massimo,

thanks for your reply.
The problem with the drivers and directx is, that virtual PC cannot really access the H/W, it only takes a small chunk out of the video memory and apparently emulates on this subset the graphics operations; no way to directly access the card (Unix wouldn't allow to do so).

rgds kd

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I could see that being useful for companies that have some of the departments using MACS, such as for graphic design. Then, they can more easily interface with the 3D CAD.

By the way, I love the new Apple commercials. I'm a MAC, I'm a PC. I think of that everytime Windows requires a download to update.