What's new

alibre on Mac OS (Apple)

topbanana

Bootcamp update

Hi,

Would any users of Intel Macs please give us an update of their experiences running Alibre, on an Intel Mac via Boot Camp please?

Is there an official view on this subject from Alibre?

Many thanks in advance.

Tb.

topbanana

Hi,

Would any users of Intel Macs please give us an update of their experiences running Alibre, on an Intel Mac via Boot Camp please?

Many thanks in advance.

Tb.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Hello,

I works for half a year with iMAC, BOOT_CAMP, XP SP2 and Alibre, without problems.

Best regards
Ralf

topbanana

Thanks Ralf,

How does your iMac perform in terms of large assemblies and graphics?

Anyone else got an update?

Thanks again,

Tb.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Hi Tb,

my English language(talk) is very bad, excuses please.
I read here in the forum often contributions of Alibre users who make me very sad.
All programs CAD need time to work on big assemblies.
I have switched off(turned off) all Windows services which I do not need and have no other programs actively. I defragmentate my HDD every week. System hygiene, one says in addition. I also wash my body, during every day. :lol:
I protect my Alibre parts not on a distant slow Net-disk drive, but locally and do once a day a data protection.
Other CAD programs cost 10 times more, however, are not able to 10 times more.
Best regards
Ralf

We have a Mac Pro at home (2x Core2 Duo Xeon 2.6ghz, 7300GT).

Running boot camp is essentially like running a windows pc. You're running on the same hardware as any other highend workstation.

I have been playing with options of runnig Alibre inside OS X. I installed Parallels Desktop 3.0 (it has directx support) and it ran but alas, it would only show a black rectangle in the work area.

Parallels claims to have it tested with other 3D apps. Might just be a matter of a few tweaks. More to come.

A

Anonymous

topbanana said:
Hi,

Many thanks in advance.

Tb.
Bootcamp does seem to work pretty well for using Alibre on Macs. Alot of emulation programs don't have directx support which means they won't work with Alibre.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

indesign

Alibre Super User

It will be interesting to see when 'parrallel' (or whatever they end up calling it) comes out.

You will be able to run both Mac and Windows OS and the same time! Just switch between them.

A

Anonymous

As I understand it, parallels does not currently support directx. It may soon however.

f12

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a mac pro and have been trying to find a solution to run Alibre Design Express on OSX.

I have tested running Parallels but the the results were not very good. Everything showed up except for the workspace. I think it may be a directx issue. From the docs, Parallels supports directx 8 while AD requires directx 9.0c.

Later on today, I am going to be trying VMWare Fusion and Code Weavers Crossover.

-minh nguyen

Update-
No luck on any of those working :cry:

f12

I just tried VMWare Fusion 1.1 beta and the workspace showed up. The problem now is, even though the whole workspace can be seen, the upper 1/4 of the object is not viewable. It looks like the object has been clipped.

From what I've read Fusion 1.1 beta supports DirectX 9.0. That's one step closer to DirectX 9.0c :wink:

A

Anonymous

Re: dual boot on a G4

demarchi said:
mogman said:
The only thing I really need is get Alibre to run on it as well. It loads properly with all the toolbars but the drawing area remains dark.

For you information, it happens the same thing in a windows PC with a really low level graphic card, or in case the drivers are not updated to the latest directX version. I have no experience with mac (the ones I used kept on freezing) neither with emulators, but I would suggest you to investigate the directX emulation.

Massimo

I would agree with Massimo. Usually when the display area does not show, the problem is related to the video card and/or directx. A lot of emulation softwares for macs do not have full directx capabilities. Parallels is a good example of this.

I would try using Bootcamp. Bootcamp does have directx support and I have worked with many Alibre users who were able to run Alibre on Macs successfully with this software.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Alibre "works" on the Dec. 5 release of Parallels.

previously nothing would display in the editing window. but now you can work in Alibre in parallels, but not in full screen mode. Also the display flashes but everything is now visible.

I use Alibre on:
1. Dual Core Mac mini, 2g ram, OS X Leopard with Boot Camp, Windoz XP. This is the older Mac mini, they now have core 2 dual CPU's. Runs great, fast, no problems.
2. MacBook, core 2 dual, 4g ram, OS X Leopard with Boot Camp, Windoz XP. Runs even faster, no problems. This machine runs Pro-E faster than an old 3ghz Pentium 4 at work.

I haven't tried Parallels.

Note. You will need a three button mouse.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Small joke:

WINDOWS
Will Install Needless Data On Whole System
or
Well, It Never Does Operate With Speed

VISTA
Virus Inside, Switch To Apple :lol:

indesign

Alibre Super User
Just recently switched to Vista from Apple.....I so miss my MAC! :cry:

I had an older G4 with an upgrade card but I was given a brand new DELL with amny bells and wistles.......What do you do when it's free!

But I was in an Apple retail store just a couple weeks ago and couldn't help but drool.