What's new

alibre on Mac OS (Apple)

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Hi, Tim.
I bought Dell too. One for house and the other for office. Both work fine for 3D CAD without problem.
But my wife wanted to get MAC for house use.

I have been to local MAC reseller few years ago, today it is closed.
The owner taught me, Shade and Poser can be used with Windows today, too.
And I bought both for hobby.
I also cannot live with MAC when it comes to office work.
No frame grabber PCI express card available unless it is Windows or Linux.

MAC is the best 'users tool'. Every thing windows doing today was done by Apple 20 years ago. I miss MAC, too.

indesign

Alibre Super User
The one here closed several years ago. The closest one is 120 miles away!...My daughter told my wife not to let me see the store but it was too late!

wolfspaw said:
Has anyone tried Alibre on a Mac running Parallels 3.0?

Wolfspaw

It does work. You could probably use it that way if you had to, but it flickers black when you manipulate the view.

Hi
I managed to get it working today, not created any complex parts, but a box with a hole in it looks fine, don't have any flickering. i will load in some more complex parts tomorrow and give it a go, and let you know.

I had it working full screen in coherence mode, it looked good. but I did change the colour scheme to very dark.

fum

I'm running on Leopard 10.5.6, Parallels 4 Desktop, build 3522, and it's working very well on my MacBook. I tried upgrading to the current build(3810), and it has some serious crashing problems with Alibre.

Hope this helps someone =)

Regards

ju

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Only Mac OSX TIGER/Loepard and Boot_CAMP works without problems with XP or Vista 32 bit and 64 bit.
All other apps are still experimental.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
VMWare Fusion is not recommended,-> not "enough/real" VRAM.
Possibly for hobby usage... :|

[...]
When I am running Vmare Fusion on my MAC PRO (OS Leopard) with both Windows 7 and windows vista the computer is terribly slow.
When I checked the graphics card on my virtual machine I am NOT getting the full power of my ATI Radeon (512mb of Vram).
Anybody know how to allocate more vram for my virtual machine?
Is this even possible?
Under the settings you can do it for memory, HD, etc. but not much can be done for the video card.

...all of the virtual video ram comes from your system's RAM...
VMware does not touch your physical video card at all.
And the maximum video ram you can allocate is 256 MB.

Note that we don't use video memory in the same way that a real video card does.
It's possible for an application to load much more than 128mb of data into your host video card despite having only 128mb visible to the guest,
we've seen games that load upwards of 400-500 mb of data into the host video card.
We sorta use the memory as a temporary place to put things until the host can pick them up and load them into host vram
[...]

memiles

I found ralf3's recommendations absolutly perfect. Running a new MacBook Pro 4g Ram and it smokes.

Thanks Ralf

Mike

fitzbond

Hello Mac Users

I'm thinking about converting over to the Mac world I alrady have a idea of the desktop for my wife but I'm not sure of the laptop for myself to run Alibre. Could you please offer some suggestion and the best way to run Alibre on a MAC is dual boot XP better than using some other program to run windpws type programs. Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

lthom

I am currently running tiger on my powerbook g4. I am also running leopard on my iMac. I purchased Alibre and need a pc or windows to run it. I can install it at my office where we use pcs but would rather run this at home. I am also very concerned with trying to install windows on my mac, especially my iMac considering it is brand new. If I had my choice I would install it on my powerbook. Also do you simple buy windows and install it, is that boot camp? Please I need some advice?

domcm

Alibre works great on a Mac using Boot Camp. I have it running on an iMac and MacBook Air using Snow Leopard. You'll need a CD with a copy of Windows and a Mac with an Intel CPU to use Boot Camp - I do not think your Powerbook will work. Windows XP, Service Pack 2 and newer are the only versions of Windows that Boot Camp supports. I have not tried it with newer version of Windows - maybe others can chime in. Boot Camp is very easy to setup. The Boot Camp application is located in the Accessories folder in the Mac OS. When you start the application, it partitions you hard drive automatically and restarts the Mac and asks you to load the Windows CD to install. Once installed, you select whether you want to run Windows or the Mac OS by holding down the option key when you restart the Mac.

One tip, it's real tricky to enlarge the WIndows partition after you have run Boot Camp so make sure you pick a partition size that is large enough. That said, if you do not like Boot Camp, it is real easy to delete the Windows partition and reallocate all hard drive space for the Mac OS. To be on the safe side, I always make a full backup of the Mac OS using Time Machine before I repartition the drive using Boot Camp.

eigendude

Alibre on Mac Pro - dual Xeon

topbanana said:
Hi,

Would any users of Intel Macs please give us an update of their experiences running Alibre, on an Intel Mac via Boot Camp please?

Is there an official view on this subject from Alibre?

Many thanks in advance.

Tb.

Hi,

I just bought Alibre Expert for the R&D my company does. Here is my experience on Intel Mac with BootCamp:

I use Alibre Expert running on Windows 7 on a Mac Pro (8-cores, Xeon-based). The Mac Pro was used initially for physical electromagnetic simulation research (Comsol), hence the need for a lot of processing power.

Now it has found a new use for CAD also. I installed bootcamp, Windows 7 Pro, and all the updates from Apple. After many reboots to finish all the updates, I installed Alibre Expert, Keyshot, MoI, etc.

Finally, I used a PC mouse (the apple mouse doesn't let you do the left-right-click rotate in Alibre). I just plugged in a Logitech MX518 from another machine. The application really flies on this workstation. :shock:

I got the Alibre License a few days ago, but so far all the programs I've tried with this setup work very well. Keyshot does the rendering really quickly on the multi-core setup.

Regards,

MarkFromNJ

Re: alibre on Mac OS - You Miss the Point

Of course you can run Alibre under Boot Camp on an Intel MAC - because you are simply running Windows natively on what looks to it like a stock PC. Since Macs tend to be faster than PCs of the same vintage, it runs great. But that is not the point. We don't want to have to (a) buy a copy of Windows we don't otherwise need, and (b) have to reboot our computers every time we want to run Alibre. Does that sound like a user friendly workflow to you? What we want is a native OS X application.

In 2006 when this thread started, Apple had (perhaps) 2.5% market share. Microsoft's Steve Ballmer used to laugh about how they served their 2-3% market share well, and MS served the other 97%. But that is no longer true. As of February 2011, based on information gleaned from websites that are able to determine the OS of the connecting machine, OS X now has a market share of almost 8%. And since almost all of those machines are used professionally (or by college students, another of your target audiences), the actual penetration into your markets or interest is higher, possibly as high as 15%. This is not a surprise based on the utter market failure of Vista and the concomitant success of Apple's other products such as ipod, iphone, ipad, all of which require OS X to do any software development. At present there are some 300,000 apps for sale in Apple's app store. That's a lot of professional developers and a lot of Macs. All of a sudden it is not such a trivial market anymore.

Someone earlier in this thread noted that many "real" CAD packages are available on Linux. Since OS X is based on the BSD kernel it is trivial to build a single version for both targets. And since both OS X and Linux support Mono (an open source implementation of .NET), porting from Windows is not the task it once was. Large, complex programs like Firefox, Chrome, and Blender have no difficulty supporting Windows, Linux, and OS X from a single source tree and single build. Blender is a particularly relevant example as it is a single program that supports 3D modeling, wire frame, animation, compositing, and rendering. It is capable of running on a single machine or a networked cluster. Even though it is open source and "free", It is stable and sufficiently capable that it is commonly used for commercials, short films, and even effects work in Hollywood productions. Blender happens to be open source, but there is no need for a tool to be open source to sell into the Linux or Mac markets; Adobe has been spectacularly successful selling their "Master Collection" of tools for more than $3000/seat and Photoshop for $700/seat into the Mac market.

I am a Software Developer and former Director at Intel Corporation and I have personally ported, and also overseen the porting, of many programs from Windows to Mac and/or Linux. Of course I can't speak to the difficulty of converting the Alibre code base as I have not seen it. If it is 20 year old Spaghetti that is held together with rubber bands, a port to MAC would be expensive, risky proposition. Not due to the port itself, but due to the need to first unravel the code and its build. But if the code was properly built and maintained, it is not particularly difficult to support all three platforms. You just have to want to do it.

Might be worth another look by the Marketing guys.

tmay

I'm looking forward to running Alibre and the rest of my MCAD/CAM stuff on some future mac pro. At this time I'm running Alibre on an older 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Gateway, which I have upgraded with an Intel 160 GB SSD, an AMD FirePRO 5800, and an Apple 27 inch Cinema display. I'm using the current chiclet version of the Apple wired keyboard, a logitech trackman and a 3DConnection Space Pilot.

That said, I'm anxious for the first report of an 11 inch Mac Book Air (the Sandy Bridge ULV model expected within a few months) running Windows 7 via bootcamp in a partition and any of the various MCAD packages out there. It might seem a bit looney, but in my case, my primary customer, a builder of RF Amplifiers, converted to Macs some time ago and while I'm the manufacturer of his housings, I'm also his mechanical design and documentation support. I would have access to a 27 inch cinema display on site to connect to.

My concern would be graphics performance, needless to say.

Tom

Trull

My experience was that using VMWare Fusion, it was all a bit "jerky" due to lack of VRAM, no crashes or anything like that, just slow and not as responsive on my iMac 24" 2.4GHz Core2 Duo with 4Gb of RAM.
I then installed Boot Camp (very easy to do btw, as above) and now boot into Windows by simply holding down the alt key at startup and clicking Windows. Alibre then runs fine under XP Pro SP3 (although XP only takes 2.98GB of ram, its really down to the graphics card).
I use a MS Optical intellimouse which simply plugged in.
One thing to watch for - if you buy a copy of Alibre to use under VMWare then you need to get them to cancel the licence before you can re-run it on the same machine under BootCamp. This may take a couple of days.

screenart

I tried running it in Virtual box ( a free VM by Sun Micro ) without success on my Macbook Pro (Intel dual core 4gb ram) . Crashed presumably due to memory allocation issues. I'll tweak it a bit in the coming weeks and see if I can get it to work. Virtual Box itself is extremely stable and preferable to me over bootcamp which is just a boot handler like LILO to the *nix world. VB runs the child OS in a virtual machine so it acts (largely) like any other app running in a window. No rebooting required to switch between OS's.

Continued..... After a bit of investigation it seems the video drivers are the real culprit. The drivers for the video cards are not open source so writing the drivers for open source OS's and VM's is a monumental task. There are experimental drivers but they are quirky. The only production solution is booting to the native windows OS with some boot manager like LILO in the *nix world or bootcamp in the Mac world. Any boot manager will do.

dh

screenart

I have installed and tested the lastest release of VMWARE FUSION 4.0. It fully supports DirectX 9.0 in a windows environment. My implementation consists of a macbook pro (4 gb of ram) core duo version. the virtual machine within VMware is running windows 7 Pro. The installation I have allocates 1gb ram to windows 7. I have not found any limitations thus far with Alibre in this environment. I suggest anyone interested in running Alibre on there mac to download the 30 day trial version. I have already made the $49 purchase (introductory price) as of 10/01/11. Here is the link to VMware https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/activate.php?p=vmware-fusion4&lp=1