What's new

Constraining sketched elements to auto-generated views in Drawing

RobinS

I have my 3d models and now I'm making drawings of them.

I need to be able to sketch elements (lines and circles) on to the drawing views and constrain my sketched elements to existing views (tangent, midpoint, etc). I can certainly dimension to the sketched items, but I cannot constrain.

I could have sworn I could do this with the version previous to the most recent update. Not sure if it's me or the software changed.

I keep getting "The constraint cannot be applied since it results in an over-constrained or inconsistent sketch". But these items have not been constrained in any way.

Anyone have thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello RobinS,

i've tried it.
I activated a sketch in a existing drawing, drew a circle and made the circle constrained tangent to the rectangle:
upload_2019-6-7_19-20-22.png upload_2019-6-7_19-20-8.png
Done in V2018.2 (19071)
I've tried some other drawings and it works there as well...
Can you provide more details? Screenshot or the drawing with the part?

Regards
Stefan

RobinS

Well, I just tried it again with a new drawing of the same part and you're absolutely correct. It started to work. I have no idea how I messed it up, but I tried many times before posting the question. Perhaps next time I'll just kill the drawing and start again.

Thank you very much Stefan for testing out my issue. I apologize for not being able to repeat the error.

Robin

RobinS

Yes! This seems to be the same issue. Thank you very much for sending in to Alibre so they can chew on it. The temp fix that Brian found is good to know, but often this bug shows itself without any other dimensions/constraints already added whatsoever. Let's hope they get it worked out in the next version.