What's new

Convert to sheet metal

otrotabi

Is anyone familiar with the "Convert to sheet metal tool ?". My goal is to be able to automate sheet metal parts generation with the use of Alibre Script, but first I need to understand how this tools works because so far it does not seem possible to create sheet metal parts with Alibre script.

I attach two very simple parts. The "base" part is created as a "part". If I use "Convert to sheet metal" it works as expected.

However, I have not been able to generate the part which one, using "Convert to sheet metal" give a sheet metal part equivalent to the part called "Sheet metal base". Anyone has experience doing something like this ?

Regards

Attachments

• base.AD_PRT
    288 KB · Views: 9
  • Sheet metal base.AD_SMP
    383 KB · Views: 7
Otrotabi -- The fact that Alibre (and nearly all other) Sheetmetal products are based on the "Lockheed K Factor" processes that do not work! Could we use the Neutral Axis Math coupled with the Tangent Modulus Compression approach things would be much better.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
However, I have not been able to generate the part which one, using "Convert to sheet metal" give a sheet metal part equivalent to the part called "Sheet metal base".
Not sure if I understand correctly, are you wanting to create a part like "Sheet metal base" from a solid by using Convert to Sheet Metal?
It depends on how the solid part was created. I was able to create a part like "Sheet metal base" by starting with a solid with the same Outside dimensions as the Inside dimensions of your example. This was all done manually, by selecting the base Tab and each fillet used for the bend radii, though not with Alibre Script. The material direction was set to thicken outward so the bend radius would be the same as the solid part.

Starting with this:
convert test base part.png
Using Convert to Sheet metal:
converting SM.png

I was able to get this:
C-T-SM.png

I've uploaded the package file for you to "experiment" with.

Attachments

• convert test.AD_PKG
    89.8 KB · Views: 2