What's new

Creating additional parts while using another part as a referance?

Tapap

Hello. I'm about to start my first CAD course and I get to use Alibre from the start so I won't have to learn in another program.
I know I'm jumping the gun here but I'm spending a lot of time tinkering and learning the software before class starts next week. One thing I cant figure out. I'm making two items. I believe I want them in different part files. I'm wanting to use the first part to aid in creating the second part so I can see how they will go together. Is this possible?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Yes, create the first part. Add it to an assembly, then create the second part from within the assembly workspace using the first parts edges and faces as the reference geometry (lookup 'project to sketch'). There may be a tutorial in the Alibre videos that show this approach.

See ...

... from about 1 minute in.

Last edited:

Tapap

Yes, create the first part. Add it to an assembly, then create the second part from within the assembly workspace using the first parts edges and faces as the reference geometry (lookup 'project to sketch'). There may be a tutorial in the Alibre videos that show this approach.

See ...

... from about 1 minute in.
Oh I didn't see these videos. Thanks!

JST

Alibre Super User
The linked video contains a flaw which is not mentioned.

While the base of the second part will continue to fit the first part despite changes, the column of the second part will not remain in the same place. If it was intended to have a centered, or similar relation to the first part, it will not, since it was created at a fixed half inch distance.

If it was created to be in the center of the base, or at some fraction of the width of the first part, then it would retain that relation as the first part changed. (of course, if the half inch was intended as a permanent dimension, then that is good as-is)

However, I have found that if there are very many such "interdesign relations", the program will slow to a crawl, as it seems to recalculate everything repeatedly as the view is panned or rotated, which can cause panning or rotation to become almost unusable.

,,,,,,,,,plus you can fine them on the Alibre website under help ...

https://www.alibre.com/alibre-design-training/

I have looked for things on the "help", and then soon after, someone links to a perfectly legitimate one that was not shown in "help". Apparently there are help videos which are "unfindable" via the normal methods.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have looked for things on the "help", and then soon after, someone links to a perfectly legitimate one that was not shown in "help". Apparently there are help videos which are "unfindable" via the normal methods.
Totally agree. It would be nice to have the links to the videos in the relevant help topics. Maybe an enhancement for the Alibre team! (@Max)

The link I posted was found via ...

https://www.alibre.com/reference-videos-assemblies/

upload_2021-7-29_17-26-32.png

Just easier to view in YouTube and post the YouTube link than get a direct link from the Alibre website!

EDIT: Probably a text description under the videos that list the methods or key notes would also be helpful rather than watching the whole video in order to stumble across the method you think your looking for!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Hello. I'm about to start my first CAD course and I get to use Alibre from the start so I won't have to learn in another program.
That's interesting -- Where and what school/tech college is using Alibre to teach CAD? The usual suspects are either AutoCAD or SolidWorks.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It would be nice to have the links to the videos in the relevant help topics. Maybe an enhancement for the Alibre team! (@Max)
It would be even better if the new videos that @Max recorded for the version updates/release history would be put out for training purposes. They have all the new features that make some of the published videos obsolete.

JST

Alibre Super User
And if they were available through the website.

My reference above was to the website, not the program help, although that would be very good if available.

I have looked for things via the website, not found them, and then someone links to them here. No idea where they found the link.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Max's videos regarding version update new features can be found from the release history page
Software Update Release History | Alibre 3D CAD
Recent major versions listed there have a link to a 'feature page' which includes the videos.

E.g. expand the entry for v22, and there is a link to v22 feature page Version 22 - New Enhancements & Bug Fixes | Alibre 3D CAD

If you know/suspect which version introduced the feature, you can type in the url directly
https://www.alibre.com/versionXX/ where XX is the version number.

The more recent videos are hosted on Vimeo - but finding specific videos on the Vimeo site can be challenging, the vimeo search doesn't always find stuff. I often end up paging through this link Alibre, LLC (vimeo.com) to find ones that I'm struggling to locate.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have looked for things via the website, not found them, and then someone links to them here. No idea where they found the link.
Top of the website under Help->Tutorial&Video's ... Pretty easy to find!

I agree that the release history videos need to be added to this general tutorial and video area rather than just being in the release notes. Add to that the Vimeo page and it's all a bit disjointed and fragmented for your rookie user (the one most likely to need the video help!)

upload_2021-7-30_10-50-47.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I often use a 'base' part from which I make other parts. I use the boolean function for this. A lot of flexibility if used right.