What's new

Creating Shaded Views

joshua.white

So I've upgraded to Geomagic Design Expert 64-bit, and it seems to have installed correctly. Of all the wonderful new features, the thing that I was the most excited about is the ability to create shaded views in drawings. So the first thing I tried to do was open an existing drawing, and add a shaded view. I see the large buttons where it seems I would chose how a new view should be handled, be it "standard" "draft" or "shaded.' Unfortunately, it seems I cannot choose anything but "standard" from this menu. When this didn't seem to work, I suspected it may have something to do with my templates that were created with Alibre 2012, so I created a new drawing of an existing part, this time using the "blank sheet" option, so I was sure that my old template had no influence. I had the same issue; I could only create "standard" style view. After this, I decided to reboot (since I hadn't since installation) and I tried the procedure once again, and nothing seems to have changed. Am I missing something here? Are the things that would appear to be large buttons for choosing the type of view actually large buttons for choosing the type of view? Can someone that has successfully created a shaded view with Geomagic please tell me how they did it?

I see a lot of views, with no responses. See attachment for the buttons(?) I'm talking about

I've also noticed that you can right click on an existing view and change the view type, and when I do, the view disappears unless it's set to "standard"

Attachments

• viewcreation.png
    viewcreation.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 65

denisgb2

From Help:

Limitations of Creating Draft Views/Shaded Views
If you are creating a 2D drawing of an assembly, there can be limitations to creating Draft Views/Shaded Views. If your top level assembly or any sub-assembly within it contains both inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, Draft Views/Shaded Views will not be available. Both these cases are required to be in the same assembly or sub-assembly in order for this limitation to exist. You can, for example, have configurations in your main assembly and inter-design constraints in a sub-assembly and still be able to use Draft Views/Shaded Views.

joshua.white

denisgb2 said:
From Help:

Limitations of Creating Draft Views/Shaded Views
If you are creating a 2D drawing of an assembly, there can be limitations to creating Draft Views/Shaded Views. If your top level assembly or any sub-assembly within it contains both inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, Draft Views/Shaded Views will not be available. Both these cases are required to be in the same assembly or sub-assembly in order for this limitation to exist. You can, for example, have configurations in your main assembly and inter-design constraints in a sub-assembly and still be able to use Draft Views/Shaded Views.

One of the assemblies I used has two configurations of a sub-assembly. One that I tried has no configurations at all. I'm not sure what inter-design constraints are, and I haven't used them to my knowledge, but not knowing what they are, I can't be sure. So I tried the same thing with a single part. I made a brand new part by selecting "new" and then drew a square in a sketch, extruded it to a rectangular prism, saved it, and then used the "make drawing of this design" function to create a drawing. I see the same behavior; standard views behave normally, but draft and shaded disappear once selected on an existing view, and I cannot select them when creating a new view. Can you do me a favor and attempt to create a shaded view on a drawing and report back if you were able to do so? It took me longer to write this post than it did to make the part/drawing, so I hope I'm not asking a lot.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Works fine for me, Joshua.

This is a Draft View:

Attachments

• Draft-View.jpg
    Draft-View.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 77

joshua.white

MilesH said:
Works fine for me, Joshua.

This is a Draft View:

So the things that I indicate that believe are buttons...Can you PLEASE confirm or deny that they are, in-fact, buttons? And to be a bit more clear, how about showing a shaded version?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
One thing I noticed was that it didn't auutomatically insert the Drawing name in the dialogue box. I thought that was on the list?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Yes, the three illustrations in the View Creation window are the means to change the view type.

The shaded view looked pretty much as it did in 3D workspace.

joshua.white

MilesH said:
Yes, the three illustrations in the View Creation window are the means to change the view type.

The shaded view looked pretty much as it did in 3D workspace.

Thanks for verifying, but I have to wonder why you didn't show me the shaded view. Not that I doubt your sincerity here, but it would be fairly easy to create a standard view and say "that's a draft view." I'd really like to see a shaded view from someone just so I know it can actually work. I've worked with shaded views in other CAD packages before, and I know what it should look like, but some more solid proof would be reassuring here.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
MilesH said:
One thing I noticed was that it didn't auutomatically insert the Drawing name in the dialogue box. I thought that was on the list?
Yes:

The default drawing name is now taken from the top-level part or assembly on which it is based.
Page 29 in the PDF list.

joshua.white

MilesH said:
MilesH said:
Yes:

The default drawing name is now taken from the top-level part or assembly on which it is based.
Page 29 in the PDF list.

I just happened to make another drawing (though sadly with no shaded view), and it did correctly pull the name from the base part.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
joshua.white said:
I just happened to make another drawing (though sadly with no shaded view), and it did correctly pull the name from the base part.
Hmmm. I tried an existing Part and a new Part.

joshua.white

Thanks, Miles and Ralf. It seems I have an issue with my particular setup. I checked the usual suspects (like the grapihcs settins that affect other 2D things) and all seem to be normal. I've submitted a support request, so hopefully the "Pro's" can help me get to the bottom of it.

ecope

I was having the same problem not being able to select the draft or shaded view type. I went to Tools>Options...>Display and changed my setting in the Advanced 2d Rendering to Enabled and restarted Geomagic Design and it worked. I was able to select any of the 3 view types.

Eric