What's new

Creating Shaded Views

joshua.white

ecope said:
I was having the same problem not being able to select the draft or shaded view type. I went to Tools>Options...>Display and changed my setting in the Advanced 2d Rendering to Enabled and restarted Geomagic Design and it worked. I was able to select any of the 3 view types.

Eric

Great, that seems to fix the shaded view issue for me. Unfortunately, that means I can't show dimensions. I guess there's always next year. :cry:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Or maybe time to update the graphics card - few modern cards should have problems with the advanced 2d rendering, the option to turn it off was I believe to allow for older/budget graphics adapters which didn't support the pixel shader version required (or whatever the technical term is).

joshua.white

DavidJ said:
Or maybe time to update the graphics card - few modern cards should have problems with the advanced 2d rendering, the option to turn it off was I believe to allow for older/budget graphics adapters which didn't support the pixel shader version required (or whatever the technical term is).

That's hard to do in a laptop. Actually, I did find a way to make it work, but it makes everything else look bad. I had Antialiasing forced on with my NVIDIA drivers. It worked fine if you turn off the 2D hardware acceleration (and I actually find my drawings more responsive that way). But if you enable AA and hardware acceleration on my card, it causes problems with displaying text and dimensions on drawings. I find it surprising that in 2013, they can't enable AA and show text.

So anyway, like most anything with this software, I've managed to solve the problem, but I had to give something else up to do it.

My employer is convinced that Geomagic is a great CAD program, and that the laptop they bought last year is a powerhouse (it's a Dell Vostro 3750). Unfortunately, I'm learning that neither are true, but I have no budget to fix either of the problems.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
AA should be set to 'application controlled' in the nVidia control panel - I'm not sure if that is relevant to your problem.

Max has mentioned here previously that inbuilt AA is a longer term aim, but not at top of the list.

joshua.white

DavidJ said:
AA should be set to 'application controlled' in the nVidia control panel - I'm not sure if that is relevant to your problem.

Max has mentioned here previously that inbuilt AA is a longer term aim, but not at top of the list.

That's how it's set now. It's just disappointing that to make my drawings look better, I need to make my modeling environment look worse. I hope they decide to move this up on the list a bit, but I won't hold my breath. I suppose I can be the software that toggles the change, as typically, I model for a while, then I do a bunch of drawings.

Uman

denisgb2 said:
From Help:

Limitations of Creating Draft Views/Shaded Views
If you are creating a 2D drawing of an assembly, there can be limitations to creating Draft Views/Shaded Views. If your top level assembly or any sub-assembly within it contains both inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, Draft Views/Shaded Views will not be available. Both these cases are required to be in the same assembly or sub-assembly in order for this limitation to exist. You can, for example, have configurations in your main assembly and inter-design constraints in a sub-assembly and still be able to use Draft Views/Shaded Views.

That really limits the models that qualify for shade/draft view.

-Uman

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I think it has to do with this:

Limitations of Creating Draft Views/Shaded Views
If you are creating a 2D drawing of an assembly, there can be limitations to creating Draft Views/Shaded Views. If your top level assembly or any sub-assembly within it contains both inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, Draft Views/Shaded Views will not be available. Both these cases are required to be in the same assembly or sub-assembly in order for this limitation to exist. You can, for example, have configurations in your main assembly and inter-design constraints in a sub-assembly and still be able to use Draft Views/Shaded Views.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
How does that even effect shaded views? That's like saying you can't use shaded views when your wearing socks and sandals at the same time. Totally unrelated.

BTW that msg is so cryptic I thought it was because I was using pre-2014 parts/assemblies or pre-2014 drawings.

Giecon.nl

I'm not a programmer but it beats me why would interdesign constrains have anything to do with shaded views? This makes shaded views useless IMHO it should be available always.

One other strange "feature" I use a pdf script that merges a background pdf with company logo, graphics etc when printing to pdf with pdf creator. Guess what: when using shaded views the script does not work!?

idslk

Alibre Super User
BUMP... Still not addressed.
unfortunataly it seems it hasn't been fixed...
If you want shaded views of your assembly with configurations, you can export it as a *.stp file, open this *.stp and save it again. You will get some kind of copy with only one configuration (i haven't tried it with interdesign relations). From this you can make a 2D-drawing with a shaded view. This is a not very convinient workaround, but...

Regards
Stefan

Reactions: MKR