What's new

Creator Spotlight: WeekdayWeekend

kritoke

I'm going to be doing a video on why I think more people should learn (at least the basics of using) CAD. I'm going to relate it to learning the basics of computer programming, as was done in the 80s and 90s when a lot of math textbooks also taught Microsoft BASIC.
One of my biggest arguments is the amount of 3D printers making it into average homes these days, and how similarly to having your own woodshop, knowing how to use CAD could assist you in fixing problems around the house on your own, as opposed to needing to go to the store and buy replacement parts.

So my question to everyone here is: what other reasons would it benefit the layperson to learn the basics of CAD?
This hits home. I taught myself BASIC when I was little and DOS was the main OS in PCs. I since learned several other languages eventually. I had a few starts/stops on 3d printing, once I had a reliable printer, I self taught myself CAD. Alibre enabled me to really make stuff to fix or resolve issues around the house. Been finding I love CAD more than programming these days. I do tinker with other design apps, but Alibre is what I pick for complicated stuff that needs exactness.

Stu3d

I actually collect calculators and Sinclair are one of the prioritized brands (along with HP, Texas and Casio) :)

Here are the crown jewels of the Sinclair machines. Gold plated in the back :)
They look very futuristic.
My current everyday calculator at work is a Casio fx-3400P which I think I bought in about 1981 when I started college, I guess it just runs on the solar panel now. I recently bought the modern equivalent for home use and it's awful.
Edit: internet suggests fx-3400P introduced later than 1981 but thought I had it at college???

I embarassingly have a 3' pile of filing on the corner of my desk that never got done last century, in it were some Basic books, The DOS books probably aren't far away!

casio.jpg

Last edited: