What's new

Display Software Emulation in 8.2?

Display Software Emulation in 8.2?

In AD 8.0 there was an option to use Software Emulation for the display. This had been useful for me when working with 2d drawings, because I encounter some crazy artifacts on the screen when Hidden Lines are turned on in a 2d drawing view.

In 8.2 that option appears to have disappeared. If I try to use the slider in the display control panel, the drawing window disappears completely. I'm using and NVidia GeForce 5500 with current drivers, DirectX 9.0c, etc.

Any thoughts?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Gareth,

I have an FX 5500 card, too. If you give me more details on your problems with it, I'll see if I can replicate them.

Miles

Miles,

Thanks for the offer!

1. Create a new drawing. I use a template with a titleblock that has a image logo embedded.

2. Create a standard set of orthographic views from an assembly.

3. Right-click on any of the views and select the "Hidden Lines" option. The view should now show all hidden lines in grey dashed lines.

4. Add a few dimensions to that view.

5. Zoom or pan with the scroll wheel of your mouse.

At this point on my machine, some of the dimensions drawn will disappear and parts of the title block will be drawn on top of the toolbar. As you pan and zoom more the artifacts will pile up. If you right-click on the same viewport and de-select "Hidden Lines" the drawing area will clear up.

Let me know if you see this behavior. Thanks for your help!

Veness

Same problem here, I always used the software emulation option until it was removed in version 8.2, now I'm screwed. Alibre support told me to roll-back to NVIDIA driver version 53.03, but my card (GeForce 5500) won't allow it. Anyone have any other suggestions? By the way I made all the changes offered in earlier posts with no improvement. This only seems to happen in "busy" 2D drawings with lots of text.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Gareth,

Yes, I get very strange effects with hidden lines on. Artifacts all over the screen, not even confined to the drawing window....

Are other GeForce cards affected, I wonder.... They all use the same driver, now.

Miles

Miles,

Thanks for checking it out. Like you, I'm wondering if all of the NVidia GeForce cards are suffering from this problem since, as you say, all models share the same driver now.

I'm very willing to buy a new card, but I'd rather not invest in 3 or 4 models trying to find THE one that works. In the past I've had problems with ATI cards (using other apps), so I'd prefer to either stick with the GeForce or Quadro cards. Mostly, I just want a solution that will work!

It'd be great to have a list of "approved" cards, such a list would save a little time.

Thanks again for confirming the problem. Let me know if you find a solution (I'll do the same).

bray

I have been having the same problems with my nvidia FX5200 cards.
I installed the older drivers 5.3.0.3. and it cured it. I went through just about every driver after this one, and none of the newer drivers would work.

bray

here is the information thats given in the knowledge base section on the alibre website. Try it and see what happens...

Title: Display Issues
Summary: Solutions to alleviate disappearing text/nodes/lines/dimensions and garbled text

1. In Windows, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display. Go to the Settings tab and change the color quality to 16-bit.
2. Download the latest drivers for your video card by going to your hardware manufacturer’s website
3. Install the latest DirectX
4. In Windows, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display. Go to the Settings tab and change the Antialiasing to Application.
5. In the Alibre Design home window (you should see contact on the left hand side). Go to: Tools > Options and go to the Display tab. Check the Software emulation button and restart Alibre Design. Alibre Design needs to be restarted for the changes to take affect.
6. Go to your Display settings in Windows (Start > Settings > Control Panel), click on the Appearance tab, Effects, and change "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" to Standard. If that doesn't work, then just uncheck the box. You will have to restart your drawing/part once you do this.

Bray,

I'll have to downgrading the driver when I have a moment. Although it sounds like David Veness hasn't be able to get that solution to work with the 5500 (which is the same model I have).

The other suggestions from the knowledge base are fruitless and not current with the new release. The software emulation DID work fine, but it's gone in v8.2. The other suggestions have no effect.

Anyone having luck with the current driver and a different model of Geforce card?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I just did your test and had no problem. I have a NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti 4400, using driver 4.5.2.3. (7/28/2003).

fitzbond

Re:

bhershberger said:
I had the same problem with a GeForce4 MX 440. Using driver version 53.03 solved the problem.

I have the same card but I used Version: 71.89
Release Date: April 14, 2005 and I'm having display problems with my drawings. I can't find 53.03 on the site.

fitzbond

Re: V8.2 Display problems

steved said:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/53.03/53.03_winxp2k_english_whql.exe.

Hi James this is the link for 53.03.

Cheers

Steve

Link doesn't work for me.

warburton1

I have a GeForce FX5500 card and was suffering the same problems as most people have noted about the strange graphics in drawing windows. I also tried the 53.04 driver and found that it wouldn't install :?

I have been through all subsequent configurations of graphics drivers upto 71.89. All have the same fault. I find it too difficult to work in the drawing window due to this fault. I figured if I could just get 53.04 too work then my problems should go away.

To cut a long story short here is the process of getting the Fx5500 to work with the 53.04 driver.

1) Download the 53.04 driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_53.04.html

2) Run the executable and let it decompress the associated files to the required location

3) If the driver fails to install, evident after the restart, then let the hardware install wizard run till you get to the "specify location" section (can't quite remember the title on the window).

4) Browse to the area where you originally decompressed the executable to and then select the *.inf file as the driver and then click next thru the rest of the windows.

Once complete, restart the computer. This fixed the driver issue for me and also fixed the issue with the graphics display in Alibre.

Hope this helps all you other Fx5500 users out there.

Gary,

Thanks for the tip, but sadly it didn't work for me. The Add New Hardware Wizard couldn't find a suitable driver in the 53.04 directory (where I decompressed the driver). However, when I pointed it towards the 71.xx directory it found the FX5500 driver without a problem. Of course, that driver doesn't work correctly :?

Thanks for the help, I wish I could get this sorted out!

warburton1

:? That is strange. Before you give up on it though, try searching for the following file on your hard drive;
nv4_disp.inf dated 17-11-2003. This is the driver for the 53.04 version. If you find it make a note of its location and then go through the same process as before and browse to this location.
Other than that I could try loading this *.inf file to the binaries for you to look thru and see if it would work (you would still need to place it in the same directory as the *.dll files listed inside the driver inf file).

Hey Gary,

Yeah, I've got that .inf file (with the same date). However, examining that file in a text editor I saw that the 5500 card is never mentioned. If you open up the file in Notepad and scroll towards the bottom there's quite a list of graphics cards models but it jumps from 5200 to 5600...

Does your .inf file mention the 5500?

This is a section from the inf
NVIDIA_NV30.DEV_0301.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra"
NVIDIA_NV30.DEV_0302.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800"
NVIDIA_NV30.DEV_0308.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 2000"
NVIDIA_NV30.DEV_0309.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000"
NVIDIA_NV31.DEV_0311.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Ultra"
NVIDIA_NV31.DEV_0312.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600"
NVIDIA_NV31.DEV_0314.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT"
NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0321.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra"
NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0322.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 "
NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_032B.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 500"
NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0330.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra"
NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0331.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900"
NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0332.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT"
NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0333.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra"
NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0338.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 3000"
NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0341.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra"
NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0342.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700"

Strange that it mentions most of the cards in the series EXCEPT for the 5500! On the good side, I guess I can just pick-up one of the cards mentioned in the file and should be fine using this driver.