What's new

Display Software Emulation in 8.2?

Looks like I can get a FX5700 (which is listed in the .inf file) for $80 at newegg. That's a lot less money then messing around this for another day!

I'll post back once I know if this solves my problems.

warburton1

Yeah I noticed that it never mentioned the 5500 but figured it was worth trying, as it turns out I have not had any problems (yet!), everything seems to run fine. Besides I didn't fancy having to tell my wife that I needed to buy a graphics card so soon after the last one! :D

warburton1

Appears I spoke to soon, my graphics card fails to work when complex solids/assemblies are the order of the day. Worked fine when any of the other drivers were used :x

So what I need is the 53-03 driver for drafting and the 71.89 driver for assy and solid modelling. Actually I think I just need a new graphics card :roll:

Better start buttering the wife up!!!

MilesH

Alibre Super User

This is crazy.....

Can't we get NVIDIA to fix the driver, somehow?

Have Alibre reported this issue to them?

Miles

Miles,

I filed a new incident report with Alibre, perhaps anyone who hasn't filed an incident report should. If enough folks speak up, hopefully a solution will become important. I'd be interested in filing a bug report with NVidia, but a response from Alibre could be helpful. Their expertise may be able to point to the problem spot in the NVidia driver. As you say, it may be more effective for Alibre to contact NVidia directly.

At this point, I'd also settle for a list of 'certified' cards (similar to the list that many other CAD companies provide). I just don't like the idea of playing graphic card roulette, that can get pricey.

Gary,

Sorry to hear that your having problems now with the old driver. I should have the 5700 in my hands next week, I'll post back to let you know if it's any better. If it's not, I'll return it and try something different.

Miles (and everyone else with the FX5500),

I got a response from Alibre, sounds like a solution is in the works.

Dear Mr. Conner,

I have received your Alibre Design customer supprt incident (https://www.alibre.com/Support/Incident ... ID=1857616). We are aware of the problem with the GeForce FX5500 display card. We have worked with NVidia to create a new driver addressing these issues. The driver will be available from NVidia later this month. We are pursuing an interim driver to help you become productive faster.

If you feel you must purchase a new video card, the ATI Radeon series card does not suffer from this current driver situation.

Mark
Alibre Design Customer Support
support@alibre.com

delboy

Re:

MilesH said:
This is crazy.....

Can't we get NVIDIA to fix the driver, somehow?

Have Alibre reported this issue to them?

Miles

Hi Miles

Like all you guys I have been having fun with my FX5600XT.

To get V8.2 to work I reloaded the drivers I got with the card (5.2)

It works of sorts one large assembly take ages to load and hangs up on closing.

Was informed by support this morning(11th June) Alibre and NVidia are on to the problem and Nvidia hope to release a patch on June 21st

Roll on 21st June otherwise I will be reverting back to V8.0 where I can then use the software simulation which was useful in some drawings.

Delboy

kineoptics

Video Driver? Are we sure?

I was having a problem somewhat similar to the ones mentioned above and downloaded the older driver with no fix. The issue I have is only on the drawing window when inserting a part. The text dissapears in the drawing but when it is zoomed around, the text flashes and can barely be seen but is in the wrong spot. It also will spill on the Design Explorer Window and it stays there, also on the Alibre Assistant window at the lower left. Everything works fine when the drawing window is opened blank, with nothing in it. Text behaves perfect. The reason I question whether it is the driver is that I also run Pro-E, their license, for one customer on my Dell Precision M70, Nvidia Quadro FX Go 1400 256 MB, and it is super fast and has no issues that I have found. Is this an Alibre fix or Nvidia? Or both? On similar assemblies, it does seem that Pro-E is faster in rotating parts than Alibre. But only a bit. Pro also has a smoother look for some reason. Can any one else comment on this?

jhatfield

This whole thing of needing to update to DirectX 9.0c and upgrading Video drivers had me concerned, so chose not to upgraded to 8.2 yet. But I did do the directX and video driver upgrades.

I experienced all sorts of weird artifacts all over my screen when I was working on this one particular drawing which had a simple circular part with a section view in it. The cross hatching went everywhere on me. I struggled through that part and I've not seen this issue since. I'm using a nVIDIA geFORCE4 MX440 which, BTW, shows up in the .inf file mentioned elsewhere in this post.

Is the video driver issue being discussed by the 5500 and 5600 owners common with the nVIDIA geFORCE4 MX440 as well? and does it get worse after the upgrade to AD 8.2? Right now, I'm still productive and I can't afford not to be.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

John et al,

It seems to be primarily a driver issue. As all the GeForce cards use the same driver now, it seems likely that they're all affected. The point about 8.2 is that it doesn't allow software emulation which was a regressive fix for many of these graphic problems.

Anyway, it seems like a solution is on the way.

Miles

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Well I thought I was one of the lucky ones, and wasn't having this problem until this morning. I have new Dell Precision 470 with Quadro FX 3400.

When I created a new drawing I started seeing the text problem. The funny thing is as soon as I inserted a section view it stopped the text problem and everything seems fine now.
Go figure :!: :?:

mkent

I was getting an error message and corrupt video on my secondary monitor using a Radeon 9700 on a Dell Precision with dual processors. I think I solved the problem by not going to full screen, but using the tile screen streached to the edges.

An update...

Alibre support emailed me a link to a pre-release driver from NVidia and I installed it with my FX5500. The patched driver works fine, the screen artifacts are now gone when working with 'Show Hidden Lines'.

Alibre support said that NVidia was going to release a finished version of the driver on June 21st. Kudos to Alibre support!

aa2

Here is a link to the driver the developers at NVidia gave us; it is a pre-release version of a driver that has hopefully fixed the display issues that were seen in Alibre Design V8.2, the full version is intended to be released on Tuesday June 21, 2005.

I put the driver on our FTP site, here are the instructions:

In Internet Explorer, please type in this address: ftp://ftp.Alibre.com
Username: CustomerSupport
Password: 7774853

I made a folder named English_WinXP_77.50, and the folder contains a file named English_WinXP_77.50.zip. Can you download and install this file and see if it fixes your display issue.