What's new

Drawing line with real time dimensioning [TAB key hit behavior]

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Alibre so maybe I am missing something. I have 2 installations of Allibre.
One is originally v24 upgraded automatically to 26, the second one is a fresh v26 install.

I have a question regarding real time dimensioning while drawing a line.
On the upgraded verions TAB key switches between edit boxes without locking the values. Values are lock upon edit. This is how it works i.e. in Fusion 360 and is the desired behavior.
While on fresh install of v26 hitting TAB key is instantly locking both 2 edit boxes which is quote painful. It works the same with Atom 3D 26.

Uninstalling v26, installing 24 and upgrading do not help. It works only if v24 is installed first on a fresh system that never before v26.
I guess this is a matter of some "deep hidden" preferences that are imported from v24 and that are not get deleted or upgraded upon deinstallation or reinstallation.

Maybe someone else experience this problem already and have a fix for that.

Please see the videos I have recorded showing the difference in behavior.
Thank you in advance for any support.

It seems I can attach only pictures not videos but if necessary I can share screencasts I have recorded to show the difference in those two setups.

Kind regards,
Bartek

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 computers running AD - one has been updated over many versions and is now at v26. My new laptop has only ever had v26 installed.

Tab key in real time dimensioning works the same on both computers, I can swap between boxes many times (and change values) using Tab, values only get finally locked if I hit Return.

I don't see any videos...

So it works as it should on your machines. I tried on 3 different machines to install the fresh v26 and they all have the same problem.
All of them work on WIN 11 22H2.

I enclosed the videos in the ZIP file.

Attachments

• 25_vs_26.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 6

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
if necessary I can share screencasts
If you have a Screencast account you should be able to paste a link to the video you want to share in your post. Then you won't have to create a zip file of the video.
I have done this multiple times.
Here are the steps I use.
  1. Log into your Screencast account.
  2. Select the video you want to share.
  3. Select the Share button that appears at the top of the window.
  4. In the share dialog that pops up, Click on the Copy button next to the Share URL field.
  5. Close the share dialog.
  6. In your post, paste the copied URL for the video on a new line.
  7. Preview your post to see that the video link appears correct.
  8. Post your reply.

If you have a Screencast account you should be able to paste a link to the video you want to share in your post. Then you won't have to create a zip file of the video.
I have done this multiple times.
Here are the steps I use.
  1. Log into your Screencast account.
  2. Select the video you want to share.
  3. Select the Share button that appears at the top of the window.
  4. In the share dialog that pops up, Click on the Copy button next to the Share URL field.
  5. Close the share dialog.
  6. In your post, paste the copied URL for the video on a new line.
  7. Preview your post to see that the video link appears correct.
  8. Post your reply.
Thank you for the tip. It will help me in the future.

OK. I am not sure yet what is te reason but I found the solution.

Problem confirmed on multiple machines and settings as follows:
WIN 11 - Regional format settings -> English(Europe) | Country -> Poland | Alibre Design Expert v26
WIN 10 - Regional format settings -> Polish (Polish) | Country -> Poland | Alibre Atom 3D v26
Always fresh install of v26 causes this mistake.

I have no idea if this is the Windows, Alibre, regional settings but it can be fixed just by changing Reginal format settings for a moment.
What I did is:
1. I switched Regional format settings to recommended.
2. Launched Alibre (working as it should)
3. Closed Alibre
4. Switched back to preferred regional format
5. Launched Alibre (working as it should)

For clarity I am talking about this setting:
1680715829854.png

It seems the fix is persistent and from that point Alibre behave properly.

That's a good find - regional/language settings are often troublesome. I'll ask QA to take a look.
If there is any info I can provide that could be useful please let me know. I am curious if the problem is with Imperial and metric system maybe. By default the Alibre is coming preset to imperial measures (especially when you install English UI). Just guessing here...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it is Imperial/Metric (but I've been wrong in the past!) - I mainly use metric myself, but also Imperial (being based in UK).

I do know that there have been past issues linked to regional or language settings (most obviously when languages that use double byte characters are involved).

As you can imagine, thorough testing of every last little aspect in all possible languages/regions is a huge task (one of the reasons for beta testing). Some stuff can take a long long time to surface!

There is often no stand out reason why some of these weird interactions occur - once a particular behaviour is recognised as linked to a specific Windows setting, resolving may not be such a huge task.

I feel you. I am a software developer myself and trust me that localization was few times a real pain. Yep UTF-8 is easy on Linux but Windows is a different story. QA is not an easy work indeed. The number of combinations that you should consider in regression testing is sometimes impossible to manage. If you ask me I have no idea what pushed me to check the regional settings. Maybe simply life experience.

Last edited:
I doubt it is Imperial/Metric (but I've been wrong in the past!) - I mainly use metric myself, but also Imperial (being based in UK).

I do know that there have been past issues linked to regional or language settings (most obviously when languages that use double byte characters are involved).

As you can imagine, thorough testing of every last little aspect in all possible languages/regions is a huge task (one of the reasons for beta testing). Some stuff can take a long long time to surface!

There is often no stand out reason why some of these weird interactions occur - once a particular behaviour is recognised as linked to a specific Windows setting, resolving may not be such a huge task.
Ok by the way. take a look at this.

English UI:
1680724346115.png

Polish UI:
1680724383709.png

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hello Bartosz,
Thanks for the info, I'll forward it to the QA team.
It's probably a holdover/ leftover from when Geomagic Design had that option.

Best regards,
Ralf