What's new

Error Converting Imported STP to Sheet Metal - Bottom Edge Swapping to Top

I'm trying to convert .stp files to bent plate but it isn't going as expected. I have received STP files produced out of TEKLA Steel Structures. Tekla doesn't do a very good job at detailing bent plates hence why I'm trying to do the conversion. One of the files (p1312) did goas I expected but the rest I have to do don't work the same and I can't figure out why. When I select the top face without the holes and the bend line the second face that highlights jumps to the top side of the plate and not within the plate. When I click OK the top leg disappears. I don't know why or what I can do to make it stay inside the part. Any help is appreciated. I have uploaded the p1368 .stp which has the issue and p1312 which worked for me. Converting to 3/8" plate and using the top surface as it should correct the upper edge which should be square to the bent face but Tekla has a miter on. 2024-04-23 08_58_05-p1368 - Alibre Design Expert V27.jpg

Attachments

• p1368_1.stp
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
  • p1312_1.stp
    50.1 KB · Views: 4

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps try starting on the opposite face of what will be the Tab.

To get anywhere I had to do a Boolean first to get the conversion part to be near the origin. I also added representative fillets (5 & 10mm) to inside and outside of bend. Looks like the part was either modelled badly or a lot of trimming has been done after bending a larger piece.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I'm trying to convert .stp files to bent plate but it isn't going as expected. I have received STP files produced out of TEKLA Steel Structures. Tekla doesn't do a very good job at detailing bent plates hence why I'm trying to do the conversion. One of the files (p1312) did goas I expected but the rest I have to do don't work the same and I can't figure out why. When I select the top face without the holes and the bend line the second face that highlights jumps to the top side of the plate and not within the plate. When I click OK the top leg disappears. I don't know why or what I can do to make it stay inside the part. Any help is appreciated. I have uploaded the p1368 .stp which has the issue and p1312 which worked for me. Converting to 3/8" plate and using the top surface as it should correct the upper edge which should be square to the bent face but Tekla has a miter on. View attachment 41585
From your image it appear to be a face direction issue. Try offsetting the top face 1st (Move Face -> Offset Face) to see if that corrects the face flipping.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I've not tried your files but I have often experienced where the convert to sheet metal preview shows a flange flipped incorrectly but does work anyways. I've also had parts not work when selecting one face but work when selecting another face. It's finicky but generally still a very useful tool.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I'm trying to convert .stp files to bent plate but it isn't going as expected. I have received STP files produced out of TEKLA Steel Structures. Tekla doesn't do a very good job at detailing bent plates hence why I'm trying to do the conversion. One of the files (p1312) did goas I expected but the rest I have to do don't work the same and I can't figure out why. When I select the top face without the holes and the bend line the second face that highlights jumps to the top side of the plate and not within the plate. When I click OK the top leg disappears. I don't know why or what I can do to make it stay inside the part. Any help is appreciated. I have uploaded the p1368 .stp which has the issue and p1312 which worked for me. Converting to 3/8" plate and using the top surface as it should correct the upper edge which should be square to the bent face but Tekla has a miter on. View attachment 41585
My suggestion to add more material to see if the would help worked. You'll need to adjust it to your final thickness. The convert to sheetmetal settings might need tweaking, I didn't review them. 10min test.
1713927618664.png
Solidworks conversion for reference:
1713928642916.png

Attachments

• p1368_1.AD_PKG
    102.1 KB · Views: 0