What's new

export to IGES or SolidWorks missing

bcarlton

I 'upgraded' to 2019. I now can't seem to export to IGES or to SolidWorks native formats. I've also received comments from colleagues that files I've exported in STP format do not import correctly. Anyone else having these issues?

BC

JL82

I 'upgraded' to 2019. I now can't seem to export to IGES or to SolidWorks native formats. I've also received comments from colleagues that files I've exported in STP format do not import correctly. Anyone else having these issues?

BC

IGS.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
IGES export has only ever been available for parts, not for assemblies. Maybe that is causing the confusion.

bcarlton

Ah, it may have been an assembly. Will check. Will verify the .stp vs. solidworks comment with my colleague. He received both, but seemed much happier with the SW native parts.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
For SW users, you should now use Parasolid export (as mentioned by Ralf).

Previously Alibre & SW disagreed over STEP definitions, so assemblies exported from AD as STEP lost relative positions of all parts - so a 'special SW export' option was added. With the new file exchange pipeline, that isn't needed any more - Parasolid export, being the native core of SW should give best chance of success.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
He received both, but seemed much happier with the SW native parts.

Just to reiterate - these parts were not "native" in any respect except the file extension. All geometry was just like a STEP file - a solid body with no feature history.

To reduce conversion errors, you should use Parasolid, as Ralf pointed out. But generally STEP is probably fine too.