What's new

FEM

JL82

Alibre Expert 2011 does not include Design Check now ? Have you plan to give some FEM software for Alibre user in future?

And other question, do the new Alibre usesr get KeyShot 2.0? Or 1.9?

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Just download Autodesk Algor Simulation Express :lol:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... d=13774182

I have the opinion that Algor (Autodesk) and Keyshot don't want to give much discount to Alibre (users) anymore. But sure, Algor gives you a FREE express version.

When I tried it some time back it was about, or the same as what Alibre provided when Algor was hungry for a relationship. Just no integration.

Let us know what you think of it. Other than that it is wait-and-see on the following.

RCH_Projects said:
Thanks for the link KuifjePDX.

Of interest to some like myself is -

http://www.mintronics.co.uk/fem-designer

Unless I am wrong - ALGOR DesignCheck is only useful for a single part and limited analysis. I would hope this is, or will be better.

If any interest a new thread / link appreciated.

Ah - there it is - http://femdesigner.com/index.html

Max said:
I'm definitely interested, I 've used the Algor design check and you are right about it being pretty limited. I was able to snudge things and got a kinda sorta nearly good enough guesstimate, but since Autodesk has bought Algor, I am thinking even the limited application will go away. So,, that being said, I hope this new software will be A. inexpensive and B. pretty good. :mrgreen:

It will be both inexpensive and good - much more functionality than ALGOR DesignCheck. It's actually pretty far in development as of this time, but there are some technical issues to be worked out. We'll keep you posted when the time comes.

Max
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11828&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Since I got SimLab Composer I don't even think about Keyshot (Keywhat). I don't even look back.

As of 10/28/2010 pricing is:

and

I won't get into a debate about how fantastically better Simlab is on features, price and development, but I think Keyshot has gone totally NUTS :shock: !

Attachments

• Keyshot 2 10-28-2010.GIF
    Keyshot 2 10-28-2010.GIF
    33.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Simlab Composer.GIF
    Simlab Composer.GIF
    8.3 KB · Views: 7,132

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned elsewhere LISA now accepts STEP import. It is free for 1200 nodes or the grand total of $50 for unlimited nodes. It also offers a range of multiphysics options AND free e-mail support.

craneaero

I recently downloaded the free Autodesk Simulation Express for my spare laptop.
It installs fine and appeared as an add-on in Alibre v12.1, just like Designcheck.
I could see no real difference between the two programs, except that Simulation Express has a licence that lasts for 12 months only !

I too am awaiting more information about what FE program is going to be replacing Designcheck. I think it will be FEMdesigner. (Greg DeMars is their Marketing man. Remember him ?).
I am particularly concerned about whether my existing Expert licence will include whatever it is.
I remember when Translate was packaged with Expert recently. It wasn't included for existing Expert users on maintenance. I had to pay quite a bit extra.

Regards
Craneaero

Sauzer

Hi, does anyone know when femdesigner for Alibre will be released?
I asked them some months ago and every time the answer was "very soon".Does anyone have a more precise answer?
Thank you.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Their website http://www.mintronics.co.uk/fem-designer still displays September 5th, 2010.

Max has posted some words of enthusiasm and patience as technical issues are ironed out. I figured there would be delays as everyone tries to coordinate with overlapping release issues.

Max will post an update when he has info to release. Otherwise maybe do a search from time to time on keywords.

I look forward to it, but I am saving up some cash in anticipation (and for Simlab animation, and for ...) :| !

IKRAJ

I would like to know what Alibre's future status for FEA software is?
I own AD-2011 Expert and have DesignCheck (purchased in 09). However, as most of you know there are many limitations with DC.
Although I have found workarounds to solve semi-complex assemblies in DC I still look forward to a more complete FEA package.
Have any of you tried FEM Designer?
I am about to contact them and posibly purchase the software.

If any of you have any feedback or info (FEMDesigner) you can provide me with I will appreeciate it.

trophy900

First off I'm wishing everyone a Happy Holidays as we celebrate Christ's birth!

Sent an email to FEM Designer and got this response.

"The alibre addon has been written for some time but we have been removing
some apparent instabilities. Soon in the new year you will probably, (if
everything is fixed) be given an opportunity to try buy the addon. We'll
inform you. It shouldn't be too long now.

Yes it does handle assemblies very well. At the moment we are adding the
option to merge parts into a single fabrication too.

the prices are currently the same as for femdesigner, which is on the
website. The basic version, at around 200 dollars allows elastic, static
analysis. The pro version upgrade allows plasticity, heat transfer,
natural frequencies, dynamic loading (tables and equations), buckling,
contact. We'll be adding to that list."

Sounds like they should have things pulled together shortly - I would rather wait and have something stable than the alternative.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
trophy900 said:
First off I'm wishing everyone a Happy Holidays as we celebrate Christ's birth!

"the prices are currently the same as for femdesigner, which is on the
website. The basic version, at around 200 dollars..."

Merry Christmas to you Trophy!

All pricing other than "$200 for a basic version" as you stated, has disappeared. This could be good or bad.

All I can really tell is they give you a "Fast Direct Multi-Frontal Cholesky". :shock: I've never had that - but it sounds awfully expensive, and painful, to me.

http://femdesigner.com/index.html

This might mean Alibre will sell direct to us. That usually means an extraordinary initial value.

Attachments

• FemAlibre.GIF
    FemAlibre.GIF
    5.4 KB · Views: 5,155

rollin45

"All I can really tell is they give you a "Fast Direct Multi-Frontal Cholesky". :shock: I've never had that - but it sounds awfully expensive, and painful, to me."

LOL,,, yeah,, not sure I want anything to do with that!

Would however like to see this software in action and a good offer from Alibre.

rollin'

rollin45

I just visited the Web site and it appears the software is in final testing. There is even a small paragraph dated Jan 10. which says final testing for Alibre is in progress in the "news" I am looking forward to this.

rollin'

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
rollin45 said:
I just visited the Web site and it appears the software is in final testing. There is even a small paragraph dated Jan 10. which says final testing for Alibre is in progress in the "news" I am looking forward to this.

rollin'

It looks to me like that was dated Jan 10 2010 - in other words, over a year ago.

rollin45

MikeHenry said:
rollin45 said:

rollin'

It looks to me like that was dated Jan 10 2010 - in other words, over a year ago.

You may well be right, as it is pretty ambiguous as to year.. :mrgreen:

If you look in the projects category, there is also a mention of the final testing, and there are a couple of short videos purporting to show Alibre and FEM working together, I don't know of course, but I am optimistic.

rollin'

rollin45

I just now emailed them asking about a release date, if they don't have a date, perhaps they can give us a hint as to how much longer it will be before the release. Maybe they can't or won't but I'm thinking it doesn't hurt to ask.

rollin'

if I do hear anything in reply, I will post here

rollin45

I just got an email response from Mr. Greg DeMars, who indicated they are hoping to finish the testing this month with sometime in February as a hopeful release . Of course, as we know software testing and developement are moving targets but hopefully this will be the case.

So actually we don't know any more than before, but at least our lack of knowledge has been updated.. :mrgreen:

rollin'

donatled

Can anyone with some genuine FEA experience comment on the difference between the FEM Designer product & LISA, besides the ~$800 dollar difference in purchase price?

Cheers

Don

rollin45

Just got an update from Mr.DeMars indicating they were still shooting for a February release. While nothing concrete was given as to dates, I was happy to hear things are proceding and that hopefully another month will do it.

Figured I would spread the ambiguity around... :mrgreen:

rollin'