What's new

FEM

rollin45

Thanks for the update Bob,

My little bit of experience with that stuff makes me appreciate how difficult it all can be.

rollin'

I am working out all the tutorials with the pre-commercial release of FemDesigner for Alibre, to translate them in Italian and publishing them in http://www.lista.it/alibre/Tutorials.html (I am the Italian reseller). Scroll down this page till the group "CORSO BASE FEA", sure You will recognized the FEA icons; there are 5 out of 7 PDFs already downloadable - don't worry for the Italian language, there are lots of pictures to understand what's going on!
This pre-commercial release is running smoothly with such simple Tutorials, both on Vista 32bit Italian and XP sp3 32bit Italian.
Once finished the translation in Italian, I will work out more complex examples in time for the final commercial release.
Ciao!

bobster

Fem has a new website;
http://www.femdesigner.com/index.html

I have used the s/w to analyze mono parts and the results compare well to the results I get using NX3 structures.

I have also meshed some simple assemblies, here I am having some difficulties, my own lack of experience in this area is the primary source of this, I am sure.
I have found assemblies to be a challange in all of the FEA s/w I have used.

More to follow.............

keyepitts

Thanks for the update Bobster. Keep them coming.

I see on their website that the straight-up versions of FEMDesigner are cheaper than the Alibre plug-in versions, I wonder if there is any advantage in the plug-in version? For me, until they have a 64 bit plug-in for Alibre, I need the separate version anyhow.

On another front, Alibre has been very quiet on this program lately. I would have expected an announcement from them when the plug-in became available.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I have been trying to use LISA with extermly little success. I was wondering is there some tutorial that explains and shows how to applie the forces and fixed points. The model I got to mesh I just don't know where to go from there.

keyepitts

There are tutorials built into LISA, thats the best way to learn how to set-up and solve a problem. There are also a few videos on youtube showing the process google "lisa fet video". For the basic mechanical evaluation, you need to import and mesh your model; assign constraints, assign loads, assign material(s), and solve.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I contacted LISA support and was told it has do with statics. I have been able to model a part of the motor I'm working on ( a very simple flat plate). If you want I can explain the process to you. Just PM me you e-mail address may be we together can figure it out. Attached is a link http://screencast.com/t/NVsWwQ0yrYoy to a short video of what I been able to do so far (do not know what it is tell me but I got some thing)

Ok rafl3 what rules am I breaking this time?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Ok rafl3 what rules am I breaking this time?
Maybe here, also with an Alibre BETA V14.0.39 file, contrary to the NDA,
incorrectly declared as V12 File?

Attachments

• Beta-V14-file.png
    Beta-V14-file.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 24

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Interested Alibre users, with the current version 2011, are downloading the 245 MB Alibre V12 file...and then they get this error message:

Attachments

• Messages.png
    Messages.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 71

keyepitts

Back on topic, Bobster I've decided to join you in experimenting with the stand-alone version of FEMDesigner. I've purchased the basic version, now I'm just waiting for a link so I can download it. Most of the parts I'd like to use it with are pressure containing pump parts, so hopefully faces are easy to select. Selecting faces in LISA can be difficult and time consuming, Algor's design check was easier to use than LISA, but had to many limitations in the watered down version that was packaged with Alibre, sure looked impressive with the pages of mostly useless data it spit out though :lol: .

bobster

It’s much easier to use than LISA, similar to Design Check.

Femdesign is sending me a link for an improved mesher that should cure the issues I have been having with assemblies. ( probably due to keyboard/operator interface problems)

Because Fem is an Alibre add-on, it appears as a new drop down tab on the menu bar.

When working with a mono part, just select FEA exploer from the drop down and the FEA exploerer opens next to the design explorer.
Assign a name to the analysis, a “Load case” in FEM.
Assign a material, select from the drop down, click a face and hit apply.
Mesh the part, you’ll see the mesher running but you will not see the mesh until you click “Plot” in the FEA explorer.
Assign loads, called “actions” in FEM, click a face, edge or point, select what type and magnitude.
Assign constraints, called “reactions in FEM,
Click, solve and wait until it finishes, click plot to see the results.

It’s about as easy as Design Check or Strength Wizard in NX, but more powerful because it will also do assemblies.
I don’t see any report generator as yet, I’ll be asking about that and confirming the method of adding to the material library.
More stuff to follow with screen shots.

keyepitts

Assemblies are difficult for any FEA package to deal with, I usually make a single part that is representative of the assembly for analysis. Bobster, it sounds like you have now installed the Alibre 32 bit plug-in version of FEMDesigner, how did the stand-alone version work for you?

Re: FEMdesigner

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum, and I see plenty of lively discussion/speculation has been going on. Hopefully I can "set the record straight" as they say, and perhaps even regain some credibility in the eyes of our critics. Here's a brief synopsis of the FEMdesigner goings-on:

- First, we want to sell FEMdesigner AD (the Alibre integration) far more urgently than you want to buy it, trust me. The pent-up demand is bursting at the seams, and as someone pointed out, the ongoing delays do tarnish our credibility. I can tell you that every time we have said "real soon now" it truly appeared to be the Beta/release whatever we were referring to was very close to happening. Whether it was an unforeseen technical issue or whatever, we weren't ever deliberately misleading anyone. Of course there's no way we can prove that, but it's the truth.

- To add to our internal technical challenges, our plans had included adding some resources for QA, testing, sales and distribution, and support that we weren't able to add - best laid plans as they say. So the last couple of months have been dedicated to shoring up these areas, without which we would be foolish to ship a product to a large audience.

- Another result of our limited internal resources is that we have to make decisions we would not otherwise choose to make, which from a user perspective means things like the first available release of FEMdesigner AD will be for 32-bit AD2011, with 64-bit and AD2012 following soon thereafter. We plan to release products as they are ready, rather than holding up all releases until the last platform port has passed all tests. I can tell you that the AD2011-32 product is in pre-release use right now (note that's PAST Beta!), and it is very stable. It should be available for sale real soo...no, I'm not going there. ;) Suffice it to say that it's in pre-release and is very stable. If any of you have read this far and simply MUST try it out (remember it's AD2011-32 only), PM me and we might be able to work something out.

Thanks to everyone for their interest, and I'd be happy to answer any product technical, sales or other questions.

Greg DeMars
VP Sales & Marketing
FEMdesigner

keyepitts

Greg, thanks for the update. I purchased the stand-alone basic version online yesterday, but have not yet received a link to download it. From what Bobster has said and the information on your website, this looks like it will be a good match for the types of analysis that I have to do. I think I'll wait for the 64-bit version to become available before I try the Alibre plug-in, for now the stand alone will work better for me. I'm surprised that Alibre has decided not to distribute this directly, perhaps they will reconsider it in the near future as this type of functionality is a big selling point to many companies, mine included.

MikeH

keyepitts said:
I'm surprised that Alibre has decided not to distribute this directly, perhaps they will reconsider it in the near future as this type of functionality is a big selling point to many companies, mine included.

Firstly, yes, thank you Greg for the detailed update!

Second, keyepitts, you pointed out exactly what I was keyed in on Greg's post. This could mean two things. 3D Systems is looking for something else to use instead of FEMDesigner or they are continuing with the perceived "dumbing down" of Alibre which is a mistake. I have had this bad taste in my mouth ever since the takeover and nobody including Max has made it better. This includes the CEO of 3D systems who doesn't seem to get that Alibre was already EASY to use and many of us only want to see it get better with more, not less functionality. My 17 year old nephew thinks Alibre rocks over Autocad which his highschool forced him to use (I was about to offer to buy a whole classroom full of seats of Alibre for the school when they went with Autocad). There are real companies using Alibre, not just the "makers", who have invested in this product as their standard including mine. I am really wondering if it was the right choice...

Anyway, back on topic. I too would prefer a 64 bit version but have put in a request on their site for FEMDesignerAD. Would be interesting to know if we purchase a 32bit version, could we get a 64 bit seat later for a discount???

Hi MikeH,

While I am not qualified to comment on Alibre's strategic direction or to assign any meaning to their decision not to sell FEMdesigner, we certainly respect their decision, and we remain on excellent terms with them, so we are happy.

To your question about a discounted 64-bit version, as long as it's the same release of FEMdesigner (currently release 5), our policy is that you would get both the 32-bit and 64-bit version when you buy. This means that if you buy the 32-bit version, the 64-bit version of that release will be yours for no additional charge as soon as it's available. But if you want us to charge you for it, we can. :D

Greg

MikeH

Greg

I think you will get a lot more sales on the 32 bit version now that we know we could get the 64 when it comes out with that clarification :)

I am a willing purchaser of the FEMdesigner for Alibre. So you know you have another sale

Thanks again for the clarification. I am glad you are still on good terms with them. It was the other threads quiet mention of the FEMdesigner website change/update and lack of fanfare from Alibre themselves that set me off again. Especially when they had more to say and update on "AlibreFEM" (whatever is was to be called) before the 3D Systems takeover. I did sleep on it since yesterday but I could still feel it bugging me today.

I am looking forward to trying FEMdesigner for Alibre

Mike

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Maybe it's not an altogether bad thing for add-ons to be sold only by the publisher and not by Alibre. It can't be easy for Alibre Tech Support to maintain competency in programs that they don't write and the publisher might feel no or little responsibility to provide free support for a product that they didn't sell directly to the user.

Mike