What's new

FEM

DM8761

my maintenance is up for renewal... is FEA comming or not?

still kinda sour about the whole thing, but im making the best of it.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
jhardy1 said:
RCH_Projects said:
http://femdesigner.com/news.html

Aug 10: Sorry for launch delays for FEMforAlibre. There were severe graphics stability issues, partularly with Windows 7 which we've had to find ways to work around.

:mrgreen:
But that was more than a year ago - August 2010!

2010 - Bugger, they should put the year on their posts. Doesn't matter what they say now. Zero credibilty for their products.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Considering the requirement for accurate, stable, and precise finite element modeling, I'd rather wait for a rock-solid release than get a half-done project on time. I just can't risk a failure due to inaccurate simulation results. But, I would also like to get something for my money (when I invest in it) and would much rather have regular updates with an accurate back-end rather than a fully polished piece of software.

If their results are accurate and the basic functionality is there, I think it is time to shoot the engineer and get on with production. Let's see some FEM for Alibre!

Sauzer

I have a question about FemDesigner: Is there a technical reason why Femdesigner is sold only for Professional and Expert versions or is it only a commercial reason?

keyepitts

Hard to answer at this point, FEMDesigner for Alibre is still vaporware. It sounds like Alibre will not be selling an integrated version now, and if it ever appears, you will need to purchase it directly from FEMDesigner. I don't see why there would be any technical issues using it with versions of Alibre other than pro or expert though.

bobster

I posted this in the general discussion section in the "will you be renewing your license" topic;

After reading Max's post re: Fem Designer, I sent them an email asking some questions and here's their answers;

""Can I purchase FEM designer (basic) now and use it by importing files
created in Alibre? (step, stl, dxf)

Yes you could. Buy the elastic version and I'll send a link to download.

Will it be possible to move to the "add-on" version when it becomes
available?

Yes""

I'm now going to do just that.
I will post my experience with the results.
I did, now waiting for the download instructions...............

keyepitts

Bob, Looking at the femdesigner website I only see two product versions for sale- basic and pro; which one did you get? If it works well, I don't see a reason to wait for the Alibre version. A stand alone version might be a better purchase.

rollin45

Bob,
please do report as to how this all turns out. I've been waiting for a while now to hear something from Alibre..... anything..... I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing at this point, but hope springs eternal.

rollin'

bobster

I waiting for the download link.
I believe the individual that I am working with is one of the principles of the company.
I had another email this morning, from this individual, not computer generated, acknowledging the purchase and telling me that the download information will arrive later today.
I will provide the whole story as it unfolds.
I'm eager to get this FEA s/w and put it thru its' paces.
I'll keep posting my experiences.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
rollin45 said:
Bob,
please do report as to how this all turns out. I've been waiting for a while now to hear something from Alibre..... anything..... I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing at this point, but hope springs eternal.

rollin'

+1

bobster

First issue;

FemDesigner is a 32 bit application and I'm running the 64 bit version of Alibre in Windows 7.
OK, I want to test this software and I also want motion functionality, so reverting to the 32 bit version is an option, not my first choice but it is a work-around.
This brings up another question, I'm using the 64 bit version of Vault, will this run with 32 bit Alibre?

BTW, the standalone version of FemDesigner installed and is running as a 32 bit application, not integrated, so I have to import step files.
I haven't gotten too far yet, just starting the tutorials.

Too bad Alibre is not like Photoshop which allow the 64 bit & 32 bit versions to run on the same machine.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I do not see why you can not run a 32bit program on your 64bit machine. I have several 32bit programs on my machine with out any problems. Unless FEM itself has an issue with 64bit OS/machine.

bobster

The stand-alone 32 bit version of FemDesigner runs on Win 7- 64 bit, but it does not run as an Alibre add-on.
When presented with the choice of downloads at the FemDesign site, there was a FemDesign solids with import capability and two versions of Alibre, basic elasticity and the full version with fluids and thermal, modal analysis.
I paid for the basic, so I downloaded the Alibre basic and the stand alone version.

The Alibre version will not run from 64 bit Alibre and it will not run as a stand alone application.

I am running the stand alone version and that is a bit if a struggle so far.
The example of an imported solid file will not mesh, also imported simple step files will not mesh.
It must be cockpit errors, I'll send screenshots to FDesign support and see what they say.
I want to see this work in the stand alone mode before I re-install Alibre as a 32 bit application.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I'm not using FEMDesigner but LISA. Is there any Tutorials out there that teaches the very very very basic how to use the FEA programs (like LISA)? I am a TOTALLY newbe to this FEA stuff? As you can see by the screenshot I got the mesh to work, just I don't know how to proceed.

Thank you invariance

Attachments

• GimbalMOuntingPlate.png
    GimbalMOuntingPlate.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 20

bobster

Update:
I'm still working on sucessfully meshing imported solids, I have'nt been able to put much time into this, I have some screeen shots that I will send to FemDesigner along with the solid models. There is an open discussion between us. FemDesign is supporting my efforts.
Also, FemDesign IS working on a 64 bit version, it is not yet available