What's new

Forum Etiquette

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Some Forum Etiquette:
  • Be civil.
  • Be welcoming to new members.
  • Stay on topic. If you have something relevant but it might need a larger unrelated discussion then start it's own thread and link that in a comment instead.
  • Not everything is a personal attack directed at you. That might even include this list. You can decide.
  • Not everything needs to be defended.
  • Not everything needs a paragraph. Less is more.
  • Don't argue. You won't change any minds.
  • If you need to say something to a specific person consider using private messages.
If requesting help give all relevant information right away including, but not limited to:
  • Include the software product you are using. (Alibre Atom3D, Alibre Workshop, Alibre Design Professional, Alibre Design Expert, or specify something else)
  • Include the version of the software you are using. (V27 build 27039 for example)
  • Include the specific problem you are having or what you want to accomplish.
  • Include what (if anything) you have tried.

Any good ones I missed?

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I saw a comment about this in another thread and I think we need a discussion on forum signature lengths. What is too long? Or too distracting? The previous forum software had a much shorter limit. Maybe this one needs adjusting?

I personally got sick of them and crafted a signature CSS override to shorten and blur using Stylus for Firefox. I can share if anyone wants it. And on smartphone I don't see signatures anyway unless I turn on desktop mode.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I don't know what is too long for a signature but I think it would be helpful if everyone had their level/version of Alibre listed. That is a clue when answering questions of those needing help.
Otherwise some have interesting quotes and helpful information. What I find interesting it when the member location is listed in their profile. It really shows how global this community is.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I agree @NateLiquidGravity I wanted to move my information to the about page until now I didn't know we could add more info. The signature is shown on the about page so I didn't think to ask about it.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Still no love for a "Using Alibre Atom" subforum, maybe just below "Using Alibre Design"? It's been suggested before, more than a few times.

I suspect that having a separate subforum for Atom would be less like herding cats than trying to get everyone, including new members who might not read the fine print before asking a question, to add it to their signature.

Perhaps it would eliminate the need to have you're version of Alibre listed in the signature line altogether, and reduce the size of signatures. Win / win :)

Last edited:

BigKahunaFL

Regarding the length of the signature, are we talking about "character count," "line count," or a combination of both? Would mine be considered too long?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Regarding the length of the signature, are we talking about "character count," "line count," or a combination of both? Would mine be considered too long?

I don't think so. But, opinions, as such, are subjective.

If I were a signature length critic though, I would point out that your processor info in the 5th line is the exact same information that is in your first line. :) But, i'm not a signature critic, so you can ignore that.

BigKahunaFL

I don't think so. But, opinions, as such, are subjective.

If I were a signature length critic though, I would point out that your processor info in the 5th line is the exact same information that is in your first line. :) But, i'm not a signature critic, so you can ignore that.
Thanks Ken! I adjusted it!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I no longer see them unless I hover my mouse over them and I constrained the max height in pixels, so I'm not bothered anymore. I think it's more about being able to distinguish post content from a signature than a specific number of lines. A nice option for those wanting more content in their signature is to change the text size to smallest.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I think it's more about being able to distinguish post content from a signature than a specific number of lines.
I personally got sick of them and crafted a signature CSS override to shorten and blur using Stylus for Firefox. I can share if anyone wants it. And on smartphone I don't see signatures anyway unless I turn on desktop mode.
You can turn off seeing peoples signatures in posts through your own Signature->Preferences->Settings, no need for fancy filtering! ...

1701249169824.png

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I added a list of basic information to include in posts requesting help.
It would be useful to have a template\example post:

Software Product: Alibre Design Professional
Version: V27 Build 27039

Problem Description:
I am experiencing difficulty with the 3D rendering feature in Alibre Design Professional. Specifically, when I try to render complex models, the software either crashes or fails to render the model accurately. The issue seems to occur with models that have a high number of components or intricate details.

Attempted Solutions:

• I have tried simplifying the models by reducing the number of components, but this compromises the design integrity.
  • I have also updated my graphics drivers and ensured that my hardware meets the recommended specifications for running Alibre Design Professional.
  • Additionally, I checked for any software updates, but I am already using the latest version.

Thanks ChatGPT!

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
May I ask for your permission to store content, snippets and scripts on GitHub or my Notion Wiki?

I'll credit the forum. I find snippets and useful content here and want them in one place. I know content is MIT or CC but I still would like to get permission and thoughts.

Examples:
Resources
@Ex Machina example models
Scripts
Alibre Sample models. https://www.alibre.com/sample-models/

I use sample content to benchmark and test my code and I prefer to have one location to link and pull from.

Ex Machina

Hey Stephen, as I've said before, any model I upload here you can use. Do what ever you want with it. The purpose of those model are to help people and give them a starting point for various projects and workflows in Alibre.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Thats true, I was only including you for example.

I made a repo called forum-content where I would put content I find here. Nothing serious, just a place to put files. Maybe a public Dropbox folder or something would be better. The Resources section would work but, is it being replaced? Maybe the update would help, a site like GrabCAD or 3d content central.

Edit:
This is outside of forum-etiquette, I'll stop here. I'm working on libraries and trying out the resources section which brought this all up.

This is where I heard Resources is being deprecated. I would use it instead of alternatives outside of the forum.

Last edited: