What's new

Fuzzy looking lines and text (2019 version)

jevs

Admin edit - please see https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...phics-pdf-issues-please-try-this-build.21232/

I am wondering if there is a setting to "crisp" things up instead of looking like I am set to the wrong resolution on my monitors all the time (they are set correctly). I looked around, but I cannot seem to find any display settings to fix this (or maybe this is just the way it is now)? Right now I am working on 2D drawings and the lines just look real fuzzy in normal working size.
I noticed this throughout the beta, but I never asked or really looked into it. I am just getting around to it.
Text and lines are fuzzy looking unless you zoom way in on them and make them really big. I am using a 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor at the moment, but I have the same effect on my 37" 3840 x 1600 & 27" 3840 x 2160 combo at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I am wondering if there is a setting to "crisp" things up instead of looking like I am set to the wrong resolution on my monitors all the time (they are set correctly). I looked around, but I cannot seem to find any display settings to fix this (or maybe this is just the way it is now)? Right now I am working on 2D drawings and the lines just look real fuzzy in normal working size.
I noticed this throughout the beta, but I never asked or really looked into it. I am just getting around to it.
Text and lines are fuzzy looking unless you zoom way in on them and make them really big. I am using a 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor at the moment, but I have the same effect on my 37" 3840 x 1600 & 27" 3840 x 2160 combo at home.

Can you post a screenshot?

Also, please try enabling this feature and see if the lines crisp up. Note this is still in beta and has some issues with disappearing lines at certain zoom levels and PDF export.

upload_2019-7-23_14-11-48.png

I have the same issue. The 'realtime line widths' has no affect on blurry lines. It is more noticeable when zoomed out. Picture below is pretty much as sharp as it looks on my screen. Almost seems like an AA or resolution issue?

upload_2019-7-23_16-5-41.png

jevs

Clicking that Beta option didn't seem to do much. I even quit out completely and came back into the software to make sure the setting took. This is a shot of a 4 inch part that actually was zoomed to a level that it was 4" on my screen and this is about how fuzzy it looks. About the same as the poster above gets.
This is not a great part example because the part has a little .01" chamfers on the edges making it look thicker, but it is still "fuzzy" and the dimension text and single lines shown are fuzzy.
The number 4 zoomed in on is about 9" on my screen. The fuzzy edges seems to be carried out to any zoom level, so the text always looks fuzzy.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Can you describe:
- Your video card, and confirm you have the latest driver
- Your OS
- Your screen resolution and Windows Scale Factor

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Mine also looks a bit fuzzy
Win 10
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Driver 431.60 7/23/19
19" screen 1920*1080 100% scale factor
upload_2019-7-24_7-46-51.png

vec

I also have a fussy look in 2D drawings, solution for now: System Options - Display - Use Legacy Display (Restart Required).

Specs:
Windows 10 1803
Geforce GTX780M driver 425.31
1920x1080 no scale (100%)

Specs:
Win10 1903
Radeon Pro WX4100 4GB
1680X1050 (100%)

My driver is a few months out of date. Will update to latest one released last month and see if it fixes.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Print to PDF differences. Using the same PDF Printer driver.

2018.2 Pdf file size 205kb
upload_2019-7-25_9-31-7.png

2019 Pdf file size 788kb
upload_2019-7-25_9-31-57.png

Is this all a HOOPS related thing?

Last edited:

jevs

Can you describe:
- Your video card, and confirm you have the latest driver
- Your OS
- Your screen resolution and Windows Scale Factor
On my home computer now. These basic specs:
Windows 10.0.17134 Build 17134
32Gb Ram
Intel i9-9900K
Water cooled etc.
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti
They just released a new driver yesterday 7/23/19. I downloaded and installed it just now.
431.60 Driver (26.21.14.3160)
I have a 37" 3840x1600 monitor and a 27" 3840x2160 side monitor.
Scale and layout are 100% on the main screen I use for Alibre (3840x1600)

Everything suggested above and the latest driver looks about the same to me. This is a screen shot with the 4" dimension actually being about 4.25" on my screen. I do think this monitor looks better than the work one at work, I suspect due to being zoomed in more because of the higher resolution ( compared to the 32" 2560x1440), but still kinda fuzzy.

Attachments

• 4inch.JPG
    4inch.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 32

TimoCAD

Is your nvidia card active? Cause I can't get mine to work with alibre. Always the Intel chipset is in Action...?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Print to PDF differences. Using the same PDF Printer driver.
WOW! Looks like its converting text figures to a whole plethora of geometry shapes rather than treating it as native text splines, etc! If that's what it does for displaying on the screen too, that's really gonna slow things down a lot!!!

jevs

Is your nvidia card active? Cause I can't get mine to work with alibre. Always the Intel chipset is in Action...?
Looks like it is to me. When I move stuff around with a large assembly or just spin the views all over like crazy and zoom in and out the GPU and the CPU percentages go up. However, the GPU goes a little higher.

If I really work at it, I can get the GPU to pop into the 20's and the CPU in the teens. The memory doesn't budge. It sits at about 19 percent used with this assembly open. The computer is not being taxed much, but this is a pretty recent and pretty high end build. Normal working with a decent size assembly would probably put the CPU and GPU in the single digit and low teen percentages.

With the assembly idle and some other windows open, the CPU sits about 3% and the GPU zero to 1.

Just opening a drawing taxes things even less, but the GPU and CPU are both seemingly utilized. Everything appears to be doing a job.

I am sure this particular fuzzy line thing has nothing to do with the GPU. My work computer is the same. It has a CAD specific GPU (however, not near as powerful as my 2080ti at home). I run Solid Edge also on the work computer.

Assemblies seem to have a "softer" look to them also, but they kinda look nice.

None of this is really affecting the use of Alibre for me, but the fuzzyness on the 2D drawings is something I notice enough to bring it up.

BenzB

Same issue with fuzziness here too. Throughout the system but especially noticeable in 2D drawings. I haven't tried creating a PDF or printing yet.
Also, is the shadowing in the holes and around the hub by design?shadowing.JPG

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Same issue with fuzziness here too.
Zooming in, it just looks like the anti-alias to make the lines smooth is too aggressive ...

upload_2019-7-27_8-36-13.png

Does anyone know if this is a software anti-alias of if its done in the GPU?

Would be nice to have an option in the Display settings to allow the user to select the level of AA. The lower screen resolutions will show this the worst and in some cases high levels of AA are a big performance hit too.

BenzB

Also, I turned on "Use Legacy Display". The display looks better in both 3D and 2D. However when creating a PDF it strips the dimensions out.