What's new

GM Version 16?

Jasper

I have a question related to the download procedure itself:

Does the download link in the GeoMagic email (the one that started this whole thread) also give access to the various related programs, like Keyshot, Mach Toolbox, Cam, Vault, etc.? Or do we have to go to the Alibre page for those items?

thanks,
PJ

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
PJasper said:

Does the download link in the GeoMagic email (the one that started this whole thread) also give access to the various related programs, like Keyshot, Mach Toolbox, Cam, Vault, etc.? Or do we have to go to the Alibre page for those items?

thanks,
PJ

YES - follow the link, click on Download, scroll to bottom of page, click Add Ons.

indesign

Alibre Super User
drof34 said:
One question; If maintenance lapses, is there NO more support?

While the software may be perpetual, computers are not and without support or a $200 dongle(when replacing a computer), neither is the software.

My maintenance lapsed last Oct. and now I have a perpetual license which expires in 2021. It matters little as I turned 80 in January and gave up on Alibre and most everything else.

It is obvious that Michael is doing exactly as 3DS wants him to as a diplomat. A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell and then make you look forward to the trip.

Really sounds that way but no one is that sure yet. We await your attempt.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
some legacy Professional customers who had Sheet Metal or Translate. The new licensing system doesn't support the level of granularity that the previous system did, so these customers basically got pushed up to Geomagic Design level to prevent them from losing anything - this means that they might have got 'advanced sheet metal' (old terminology), and perhaps translate as free extras.

This is the position I am in, but I've let my subscription lapse a few months ago.

Was anyone else in this legacy Pro position with partial cross over features and has subsequently upgraded to v16 ? If so, what does their your licence actually give you ?

indesign

Alibre Super User
They get as much as those who are on legacy expert with no other addons still usable I believe.

Basically the fully functioning GM but no 3rd party addons.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
So :-

My basic sheet metal would become full sheet metal (basic + advanced), I would get configurations, Direct Editing and Vault. Right ?

Then there is :-

Surfacing - Don't think I would as its the MOI third party add-on !
Dynamics - Would I get this ? or is this a third party add-on ?
Extra Import/Export - I already have Translate, does this have more options than the legacy Translate ?

Maybe my brain cells are dying faster than I would care to admit, but it's all still not that black and white to me :?

Sounds a bit simplistic, but it would be nice if you could logon to your old Alibre account page and be shown EXACTLY what you would get if you upgraded your account.

indesign

Alibre Super User
dynamics is 3rd party so no
translate options (I gather you get all unless it is only in a 3rd party)
However the use of all GM design modeling features you would get (at least from my understanding it is part of GM)

Don't take my word for it as I am still trying to get all of this myself. I had Expert but was purchased a long time back so any 3rd party addons that do not work in the new versions or on new OS will be lost. Anyone with newer addons keeps them.

netcp

netcp said:
DavidJ said:
Michael - you should not lose anything, but it is possible that a mistake was made with your licence (I saw this on day one of v16 with one of our customers - Geomagic rapidly fixed this and sent out replacement activation key).

I really hope you're right David. I write an email to support. Anyway after playing around with the trial it should be possible to deactive it to avoid confusions by normal work.

Best regards,
Michael

They dont give me a direct answer to my questions until yet (I also asked for the possibility to deactivate the trial) but send me a replacement activation key so i can use now Geomagic Design
with full sheetmetal. :D

This way of consolidating the different software feature licenses is user friendly and give me a much better feeling for the future with 3DS.

Thank you very much for that 3DS.

Best regards,
Michael

jimbees

simonb65 said:
some legacy Professional customers who had Sheet Metal or Translate. The new licensing system doesn't support the level of granularity that the previous system did, so these customers basically got pushed up to Geomagic Design level to prevent them from losing anything - this means that they might have got 'advanced sheet metal' (old terminology), and perhaps translate as free extras.

This is the position I am in, but I've let my subscription lapse a few months ago.

Was anyone else in this legacy Pro position with partial cross over features and has subsequently upgraded to v16 ? If so, what does their your licence actually give you ?

I had GD Elements on maintenance with legacy sheetmetal, configurations and export to SW. Since upgrading to V16, I now have GD Design, less Dynamics, with advanced sheetmetal, configurations etc, just as Michael said. Have not had a chance to see if I have MoI yet which would be a bonus. I am one of the lucky ones who got freebies in the upgrade, just like the Cubify users who got GD Elements.

Jim

PaulProe

DavidJ said:
PJasper said:

thanks,
PJ

YES - follow the link, click on Download, scroll to bottom of page, click Add Ons.

David
I am one who had their license changed to GeoMagic Design. But I find some of the new features are not accessible. Do we have to do something special to install "Vault"?

I see some of the guys referring to "M-10" but I don't see that as a download or option anywhere? Following your suggestion posted earlier, I follow the link to Downloads/Add-ons but only see Keyshot, the Excel Add-In, 2D PDF Creator and the Site Key generator.

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Paul,
Please take a look, if you follow the link in your email, as David said earlier, you have access to Vault for Geomagic Design / M-Files V10:

Attachments

• Vault-M-Files-V10.png
    Vault-M-Files-V10.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 41

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The important question I have is what happens to subscription prices for all those who just got upgraded to a new level? Did their subscription price just raise too?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
The important question I have is what happens to subscription prices for all those who just got upgraded to a new level? Did their subscription price just raise too?

That went through my head a couple of days ago ... and logically it must do !

If it has, and I suspect it will have, then your annual maintenance has just doubled. :shock: Even if you were one of the ones quite happy and content with the features of Design Elements (Pro).

It does make more sense and produce a better long term income from 3DS' point of view ... as long as customers a) stick around and b) renew every year.

jevs

I got no email or anything and it appears this is not a free update I guess? I am not on a subscription.

I happen to have a Sense Scanner and I do use a 3D printer, so the ability to work with STL's should be awesome if it works!

The question is....is it going to cost me $500 to update :(? Seems like I just got the software paid off and now I need to pay more....too expensive for a serious hobby user :(

markporter

NateLiqGrav said:
Three levels of Expert (with, without Dynamics and Simulate) - one or three levels of maintenance? I've asked my reseller to find out for me, and will let you know.

jevs

I was told all I have to do is pay $400 to start a subscription and I will get the latest version again. However I have to pay $200 to update to the Dynamics (which they came out with right after I bought and I got stuck with the one that will only run 32 bits). So I have not used the motion at all.
FEA would be another $2000, I can't justify/afford that for sure.

I am wondering if Dynamics is even worth $200? So far I am getting by without it and just "knowing" where stuff hits in an assembly.

So, I think I will have to at least pay up for a subscription, because I do want the new features for mesh file imports. This has been something I have wanted, but the solutions they had wasn't good (sycode 3rd party expensive thing that you could not even trial for free).

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Unrelated to this update: I hope the Sycode addins get built in now since they are owned by the same company as Geomagic/Alibre. That would be some good features to add. Hint Hint 3D Systems

kev h

What file types can still be missing with translate and all the new mesh files?? :shock: :D

Cheers Kev :cool:

Drutort

I like others was confused, the email only had the getting started link, which did not have Dynamics new file download nor did it have Simulate if you have that addon, We got the impression that the license names would reflect what we have but from my email it was only the activation code that has the proper naming and not the actual key when you activate and view in the about page so though I have "Geomagic Design Full" it still shows up only as "Geomagic Design" I was given the link

https://3dsystems.teamplatform.com/page ... yoqtd8izld

to download dynamics, and after that dynamics works... We know from the activatgion email that alibre.com accounts downloads will NOT work with the new lincesing, but did not this link above, either that or I never got another email, I got later an ad for the new changes but not the addons download link

The AddOns page was added last week (originally the Dynamics and Simulate installers were on the main download page). Going to gettinstarted.geomagic.com and picking Geomagic Design or Geomagic Design Elements will offer you the main download link. That page also has a section under the main downloads for the AddOn page. We wanted it to be linear, but not everyone is following gettingstarted.geomagic.com

The display in the license utility is hard coded in; while the license definition is not; it's a bit of a mis-match. You can see what is included in Elements and Design Full here: http://www.alibre.com/products/mainpage.asp

Design (not full) does not include Dynamics (Motion 2.0).

Whatever third party addons you might have are unchanged. Whatsoever.