What's new

GM Version 16?

netcp

Michael.Mock said:
Free stuff - Because we didn't announce it globally, many of you have probably not noticed this yet; but almost everyone got something for free this week in the update. Because of the a la cart nature of how Alibre Design was sold over the years; everyone had these unique fingerprints of software features. With this release, we have consolidated all those possible variations into 4 total license configurations; and this was achieved by giving anyone in a weird spot an instant upgrade.
- Geomagic Design Elements - exactly what's on the website as the definition of what we sell. Anyone with Personal Edition on maintenance/subscription got moved up to here
- Geomagic Design Full - All Geomagic Design features, plus Dynamics. What is sold today as Geomagic Design (formerly Expert)
- Geomagic Design - All Geomagic Design features. Anyone not fitting into the other categories are now at this level
- Geomagic Design w/ Simulate - Geomagic Design Full plus Simulate instead of Dynamics
- Remember, any existing licenses for 3rd party addons have not changed. If you had them before, you have them now. Unfortunately, I can't give those away

Thank you very much for your try of clarification Michael but the above quoted text is not clear for me.

I use Geomagic Design Elements 2014 with Basic Sheetmetal and Im on maintenance.

I got by email an Activation key for GD Elements. I installed GD16 but i can not see what stuff i really have (thru the 15day trial key which was automatically installed).

So my question:
-Would i really lost basic sheetmetal with GD16? On your website definition sheetmetal is not included.
-Is it possible to deactivate the trial key to be sure i work with i really have to avoid complications with production files later.
-I tried to play with configurations in the trial but coresponding menus all greyed out. Must i install something additional? Vault?

I had a rollercoaster of emotions last days between real disappointment, doubts about the future viability of GD, excitement about possible free stuff, disillusionment.

I simple want to know what i will get in real with GD16 without waiting 15 days until trial expiration.

Thank you for any further clarifications

Sorry for my pure english and best regards,
Michael

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Michael - you should not lose anything, but it is possible that a mistake was made with your licence (I saw this on day one of v16 with one of our customers - Geomagic rapidly fixed this and sent out replacement activation key).

netcp

DavidJ said:
Michael - you should not lose anything, but it is possible that a mistake was made with your licence (I saw this on day one of v16 with one of our customers - Geomagic rapidly fixed this and sent out replacement activation key).

I really hope you're right David. I write an email to support. Anyway after playing around with the trial it should be possible to deactive it to avoid confusions by normal work.

Best regards,
Michael

dwc

Alibre Super User
netcp said:
DavidJ said:
after playing around with the trial it should be possible to deactive it to avoid confusions by normal work.

Hi Michael,
Please let us know if you figure out how to deactivate the trial.
I do not see a way to deactivate the trial, only my normal license.
Best,
Don

dsage

Such a blur of name changes and feature changes. I'm so confused...

I have Expert V15
In October I purchased the Motion 2 add on because it was apparently such an improvement over the old Motion that they could not include it anymore in Expert, you had to add it at an extra cost. So I bit the bullet and added it for an extra $200 or so plus maintenence.

Is Dynamics the same as Motion 2? And is it now included with Expert? Did I read this right?

Geomagic Design Full - All Geomagic Design features, plus Dynamics. What is sold today as Geomagic Design (formerly Expert)

If so then can I get a refund on the cost or the extra maintenance I'm paying for it since Dynamics (Motion 2) is now included in Expert? Apparently they've been working on this new arrangement of software packages for months so they sold be something they knew was going to be included later. No ?
Sort of like the guarantees some stores have that if it goes on sale after you just paid full price for it you are entitles to some sort of rebate.

Or do I have this all confused.

BTW. I feel much better about the situation with V16 now that it has (finally) been explained.

Sage

dsage

Ah Yes. Thanks for that reminder. I remember that discussion now. It got lost in all the confusion of changes. I must have considered it back when I made my decision to add it. (Even though I haven't used it yet - appears to have a steep learning curve) It's getting hard to keep track of all the changes and options.

Thanks

Sage

indesign

Alibre Super User
So, first I would like to say thank you for clarifying the best that could be here to the pack of wolves.

But, how do we find what we have now? Obviously the Alibre license account info is garbage but how in the world do we know what our current level is? I paid for expert and kept maintenance. Not some cart pick and choose thing but the full blown everything on the plate expert. Then of course they drop this and that and then change from this and that and still same cost for me but nothing works.

Now I have something 'free' but don't know what level I have now. Don't know what is or is not included. Quite frankly I just don't know where to look to see any real info on my license. All I want to know is what I have and what it will cost for what I want. So do I need to contact sales and start hashing out details there? Is there a site I can look at 'real' license info and not the old garbage I paid for.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
To check your current maintenance information, open the Geomagic License Utility. All product information will be displayed there.

^^ This is from the email we all received telling us about the update and containing your activation code.

indesign

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
To check your current maintenance information, open the Geomagic License Utility. All product information will be displayed there.

^^ This is from the email we all received telling us about the update and containing your activation code.

I looked but can not find anything there to tell me anything at all. NOTHING! Really it has nothing but an expiration date for my maintenance and current computer code that I have found.

EDIT: Well it does have the product name so I have Geomagic Design but that leaves me with no more info than the Alibre site.

indesign

Alibre Super User
I have been on Expert for many years with update maintenance. So far here is what I have.

It looks like I do have dynamics (at least the install shows a license) but without FEA. Includes> Core, Animation, and Motion Analysis. I am not sure the details if this was GM or what but I do have that much and that will be of some help.

I seem to retain all the translating options.

According to the email I have 2 seats (I assume everyone does now). I had 5 from my original and I have yet to try more than 1 as I have been concerned of getting locked out or some error while finishing a project currently.

I still have working copies Engineering toolbox and Machinists toolbox so I have no need to try but there is still a download link to the latter.

I have a download link for Keyshot but since I never installed before I need to know if I have a registration number and how to get it. Since it will use various file formats the version of GM should not matter.

I have older download links fro addons but no point in attempting to use them with the new software.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

The access you see to Dynamics is likely to do with the 15 day trial, added to each activation. If your own licence entitled you to Dynamics it would be described as Geomagic Design Full.

Translate etc. all inbuilt options should remain.

Third Party bundled software - you'll have what was included /bundled when you bought - that may or may not actually be useful or even work any more. (but see Keyshot).

Keyshot - because not everyone uses it, the activation keys are typically given out on request (i.e. not as a matter of course). Also many people are not aware that updating maintenance subscription does trigger an updated Keyshot key if there has been a new version since your last anniversary (again you will likely have to request the key). The Standard Keyshot offering is Keyshot for CAD - (no file import options, but Geomagic exports .bip files). An upgrade is available at fairly modest cost with some extra capabilities.

Seats - you didn't have 2 seats previously - you had one seat with 2 (or perhaps more) installs allowed. Only one machine was allowed to run the software at once. Now you have 2 seats (2 machines allowed to run simultaneously), plus you manage activation/deactivation between as many PCs as you choose.

FUTURE SALES will only have one seat, moveable by user management of activation.

indesign

Alibre Super User
I actually had 5 'installs' of Alibre. I am that far back in grandfathering. Many do not know that they originally gave 5 licenses for installs but yes only 1 use at a time.

As for the dynamics I can not see where it is a demo. Is there a way to determine if it were a demo or what level?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Tim - I'm another 5 installs old timer, now we have unlimited installs!

Only way to tell with Dynamics is from the licence name
Geomagic Design = no Dynamics (because we had old Motion)
Geomagic Design Full = adds Dynamics (newer purchase or bought upgrade from Motion)
Geomagic Design with Simulate = extra costs option for FEA

indesign

Alibre Super User
Well I'm not that easily confused. We had unlimited installs before as well. I had 5 licensed installs without phone home or swapping or carrying dongle or any other issues. Just run the stupid thing. Now I have to either pay extra for a dongle or deactivate then re-activate. Not that it is hard to do just a royal pain if I forget or look stupid to my customer. It like the old shell game going on here. Where's the ball? Under which cup do I look when it really is behind their back.

That was the only reason I paid for the maintenance before. I had 5 licensed installs (call it what you want but their site calls them a license). I could do my job here and go on the road and still no need to worry. Now we all have 2 licensed installs and the flex license ability. I now have the same here as the next person with the same cost without the extras they have. Really a great improvement for me then isn't it.

As for the Dynamics I guess it will have to pay up again when I need it. And I am not sure what the free we got from GM that Micheal was talking about then. What did you get? I was just hoping mine was this but I guess not. But does simulate still work? Will have to re-install it to see as it can't be along with dynamics.

Oh yes I do have the M-Files but never used it either.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Tim I didn't get anything 'for free' with the move to v16 apart from the extra concurrent seat and the new functionality (not that I can tell anyway) - that mainly applies to some legacy Professional customers who had Sheet Metal or Translate. The new licensing system doesn't support the level of granularity that the previous system did, so these customers basically got pushed up to Geomagic Design level to prevent them from losing anything - this means that they might have got 'advanced sheet metal' (old terminology), and perhaps translate as free extras.

Sorry I wasn't trying to confuse.

drof34

One question; If maintenance lapses, is there NO more support?

While the software may be perpetual, computers are not and without support or a $200 dongle(when replacing a computer), neither is the software.

My maintenance lapsed last Oct. and now I have a perpetual license which expires in 2021. It matters little as I turned 80 in January and gave up on Alibre and most everything else.

It is obvious that Michael is doing exactly as 3DS wants him to as a diplomat. A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell and then make you look forward to the trip.