What's new

GM Version 16?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Don,

Presumably that's why network licences are possible with the new system. (Either physical or virtual dongle on in house server).

In this scenario $200 for the physical dongle is not significant (very different to a one man operation).

indesign

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
I don't get the whole panic about 3DS or Flexera going under. Seriously don't see it happening. They are both well-established companies.

And yes, even good companies can go belly up but that's a risk in life. Property markets collapse, investment companies lose everything, etc, etc. Yet we still buy houses and invest in our futures without a guarantee on a solid return. I will keep supporting Geomagic Design and 3DS because its great software from a great company.

I am sticking with them but still not feeling the love as we once did. Just another tool we use but along with everyone else I get worried. Just human nature I guess but with thousands of hours of designs it would make one cringe to think they could no longer gain access. I would suggest anyone who is overly concerned ask their rep about the license option for the USB dongle or for a computer without internet access. They do offer them and it may be one of the options I look into myself (due to moving around at my job I may need to move my workstation frequently). They even offer a server license that may also work for me.

Anyhow they seem to be doing good things just not everything everyone wants. In this great country of America we don't even own our own property. We simply rent it from the government (don't pay your rent, errrm taxes, and see if I am correct). We don't even have our freedom here as it is subject to the governments decisions as to who has what rights. Anyhow I still purchased a home and still go to work and still pay my taxes. Same goes for this software. I pay more and get less each year. Always hoping for better but always have this nagging feeling that I will be getting less.

As for belly up. I doubt it very seriously. They are a much more stable company than Alibre ever was. As for customer service well it seems we are much smaller people than we once were. I do hope they still give us the time of day when it comes down to it but I also need certain tools and they have been good so far in improving what we have. All in all I am happy with what they achieved to this point. At least doing as much for the software as Alibre had in the last couple years.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Good news on the first upgrade. My custom drawing templates were in tact this time. No need to replace them as with the 2013 upgrade.

jack_

I think that the one and biggest problem is:
LACK OF COMMUNICATION HERE WITH THE PRESENT USERS WHO PAYS FOR THE SOFTWARE.

I'm using the Geomagic Design [Expert] from 4 years and with every update I wonder
what add-on will they cancel this time.
There's no new functions in the software itself.
Competitors do not sleep.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
I am sticking with them but still not feeling the love as we once did.
Can't argue with you there.

indesign said:
I pay more and get less each year. Always hoping for better but always have this nagging feeling that I will be getting less.
To be honest I would rather maintenance than not have it. This is still great software at a fraction of the cost of the other softwares. And they (the other softwares) don't have new features with every release either. Just putting it out there.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Many people have neglected there is a new feature that is worth quite a lot to some users. Although not many will have the scanner or plan on it but having the skin function of using these surfaces for solids is going to be a plus (a big plus) to some people. I could have used it last year on a few jobs so if we get it again I will be happy it is there.

I still need CAD and some improvements will be nice but most of the functionality is there as long as you are doing 2d from solid parts. If they fix all the bugs (and so far they are doing better than Alibre did with that) and they make some improvements to each release then they are still a way better value than most other CAD programs out there.

jack_

bigseb said:
jack_ said:
There's no new functions in the software itself.

Really? Improved licensing and added 3D printing features are new functions...

Licensing change isn't a new function for the CAD software.
How many people using Alibre has a 3D scanner or 3D printer??

Instead of this last time I had to pay for Dynamics, even that I have an Expert version from over 4 years. [It's in the price now].
Now they are canceling Moi, Keyshot, CAM was deleted before ...

After next update maybe they will delete the CAD part of software or something - who knows??

If you look at this page
https://www.alibre.com/products/mainpage.asp
you will see the past of this software:
- Surfacing Tools - nope
- Photorealistic Rendering - nope
- Document Management - nope
- Dynamics for Geomagic Design - nope for me

Didn't I pay for this with my first buy and yearly maintenance??

And... about the price:
When I bought the software I've pay about 1250USD
Now the same new software costs 3124USD.

I don't see any improvements that could cost another 1874USD.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
MoI & Keyshot are still there - they have not been cancelled (they were a few hours late getting onto the new download resource).

CAM - you can download the latest trial form MecSoft and run it in 'FreeMill' mode - that's equivalent to the 'free' CAM that was previously bundled.

The Mesh import in v16 isn't just for scanner input - you can now bring in files from 3D Studio for example.

Vault has been updated to M-Files 10.

heidtwd

In case anyone's interested, I am running Windows 8 64 bit in a Parallels virtual machine on a Mac Pro and just updated flawlessly.

indesign

Alibre Super User
I feel your pain Jack. I have lost most all of my stuff but other than switch to a more costly program all I could do is skip maintenance for a few years and save that to re-purchase everything they offer to the newbs.

jack_

DavidJ said:
MoI & Keyshot are still there - they have not been cancelled (they were a few hours late getting onto the new download resource).

CAM - you can download the latest trial form MecSoft and run it in 'FreeMill' mode - that's equivalent to the 'free' CAM that was previously bundled.

The Mesh import in v16 isn't just for scanner input - you can now bring in files from 3D Studio for example.

Vault has been updated to M-Files 10.

https://3dsystems.teamplatform.com/pages/69591?t=ykyoqtd8izld

KeyShot
(Requires a separate license)

Vault for Geomagic Design

MoI 3D

Right to download != license for usage.

About simple CAM - why I have to do it?? I've bought it already with Alibre Design Expert few years ago.
It's all about respect for customers and agreements.

Where is someone from Geomagic or old Alibre people??? Max or someone??
They have us deep in their ..... <- write here your own word.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Keyshot, MoI and Vault have ALWAYS required separate licence because they are not Geomagic produced products, your existing licence for these should still work. or will have been updated annually anyway.

I don't understand why you are saying they have been cancelled. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.

If you never had them as part of your package, then they have not been cancelled.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
And CAM - A free demo version that MecSoft made available to anyone was 'bundled' with Expert - though others could download it for non-Expert level versions.

Today you download the trial version of the updated CAM package (VisualCAM for Geomagic Design) from MecSoft - it allows you to run it in 'FreeMill' mode (very basic CAM). This hasn't been made widely known - though I can't see why not. The 'bundling of CAM' with Expert was nothing more than marketing hype at the time as far as I can see (oh you did get to register it with MecSoft, so you believed you had something more than the giveaway/trial product).

Szumi

DavidJ said:
And CAM - A free demo version that MecSoft made available to anyone was 'bundled' with Expert - though others could download it for non-Expert level versions.

Today you download the trial version of the updated CAM package (VisualCAM for Geomagic Design) from MecSoft - it allows you to run it in 'FreeMill' mode (very basic CAM). This hasn't been made widely known - though I can't see why not. The 'bundling of CAM' with Expert was nothing more than marketing hype at the time as far as I can see (oh you did get to register it with MecSoft, so you believed you had something more than the giveaway/trial product).

Expert brought configurations, push pull, sheet metal, motion, and more import / output options. Those were the core upgrades as I remember.

Motion got dumped and it was what I was hanging on for. Modeled a gatling gun, wanted to see it in motion. I'm a hobby guy at home. I have access to solidworks at work for work stuff. I'm not a designer, I'm an automation tech, often cad is nothing more than a way to see the prints that now are in electronic form.

As far as the import/output options for other cad products that is part of Expert. It is basically a step file generator. AKA dumb solids. I have solidworks at work, I can create step files at work and bring those home to play with. Commercial users can likely get their customers to generate step files from the native system by asking.

Drutort

The new things added I guess would fall under just 'ok', Mesh stuff is useful to me to a degree, though I did a test with other CAD software stl file and tried to get a mechanical model, and had no luck, it had generated way too many faces... of course I did a test and made basic model with GM exported it as stl then used the file to import and it did it perfectly... almost too good LOL

What upsets me is, this 3D printing and Scanning nonsense... why I call it nonsense? simple because there CAD features are not fully mature for them to move to other technologies... I feel that this software is not getting the "professional" attention it deserves and what we had hopes when it was Alibre, which had a much more narrow and focused professional view that we all were enjoying and confident of.

I am still upset that 2D prints section is not getting the love it should, 2D prints is the life and bread of Engineering and Machining... this 3D printing and scanning is a toy... sorry you will never get the precision and tolerances needed maybe with very expensive equipment and or post machining.

It has been asked so many times and many years for them to please! add the ability to duplicate/copy a sheet!! how hard is that of a request? Do people not realise how many times in Engineering there are variation of parts and or testing prototyping that requires small tweaks to a print! THUS a duplicate/copy sheet is a must! to save and not have to redo a whole sheet just for the sake of a few dimensions/features or views!! :roll:

This what worries me about this company and its view... its too broad and trying to reach to too many audiences!! Unlike say SolidWorks which everyone knows and respects :roll:

There will not be the respect that they wish to attain with GM Design, if they do not put some of the focus back on the professional side - the CAD side only when they start to go and listen to the customers to add some of the yet small requests and make the 3D/2D robust and rich with features. These few maintenance updates have been quite disappointing, or IMO missing the professional expectation

(when I say professional I am talking about what Alibre was geared toward from the start, regardless if you do this for hobby or as a day job)

Alexander

Drutort said:
I am still upset that 2D prints section is not getting the love it should, 2D prints is the life and bread of Engineering and Machining... this 3D printing and scanning is a toy... sorry you will never get the precision and tolerances needed maybe with very expensive equipment and or post machining.

It has been asked so many times and many years for them to please! add the ability to duplicate/copy a sheet!! how hard is that of a request? Do people not realise how many times in Engineering there are variation of parts and or testing prototyping that requires small tweaks to a print! THUS a duplicate/copy sheet is a must! to save and not have to redo a whole sheet just for the sake of a few dimensions/features or views!! :roll:

Totally agree, basic 2D engineering drawing functionality is a must.
From experience the main reason I am being asked for 3d perspectives, isometric drawings etc is because a lot of so called 'professionals' can't even read quality 2d drawings showing sectional and auxiliary views.
My first tiny rant :oops:

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:

They also supported SprutCAM back around Alibre 6-10, but that limited to a 6-month or 1-year trial, I think.

Mike

My name is Michael, I work for 3D Systems, and I'd like to share some information with everyone on this thread.

First, I apologize for the delay in getting on the board to address many of the issues and questions raised here. It's been quite a week.

• EULA - I can tell you that everyone is reading way too much into the EULA; it was not changed in this release at all

Perpetual licenses - All of your software licenses are perpetual. The requirement of periodic internet access does not change this. If the internet were to implode, or anything were imminent to change with the company, we would issue you an update to remove the lock after 30 days of being offline. The software can sit idle offline for years without an issue. If you launch in an offline condition, only then does the 30 day counter start. If you launch again with internet access, it will resolve itself automatically.
    People have been asking about the dongle option, it will let you be completely offline forever. However, you would only be able to use one license, and the dongle is a physical good with cost (we can't give them away for free). The cost for Design customers is $200 (the cost for the same dongle for other Geomagic applications is $500).

AddOns - I can't really speak about the AddOns offered over the years, but no Geomagic Design code will ever be taken away from the existing user base. Period.
    3rd party AddOns have obviously different rules. KeyShot, Vault, and MoI as examples, are licensed differently, from those providers. But they are perpetual, once you have them, they last forever. No update to Design will remove or block that. Every license key for KeyShot, Vault, and MoI are still valid.

Free stuff - Because we didn't announce it globally, many of you have probably not noticed this yet; but almost everyone got something for free this week in the update. Because of the a la cart nature of how Alibre Design was sold over the years; everyone had these unique fingerprints of software features. With this release, we have consolidated all those possible variations into 4 total license configurations; and this was achieved by giving anyone in a weird spot an instant upgrade.
    - Geomagic Design Elements - exactly what's on the website as the definition of what we sell. Anyone with Personal Edition on maintenance/subscription got moved up to here
    - Geomagic Design Full - All Geomagic Design features, plus Dynamics. What is sold today as Geomagic Design (formerly Expert)
    - Geomagic Design - All Geomagic Design features. Anyone not fitting into the other categories are now at this level
    - Geomagic Design w/ Simulate - Geomagic Design Full plus Simulate instead of Dynamics
    - Remember, any existing licenses for 3rd party addons have not changed. If you had them before, you have them now. Unfortunately, I can't give those away

Seats vs. installations - I've seen a lot of discussion about this. When you purchased Alibre Design, you purchased just one seat. If you had multiple seats, you would have multiple Alibre.com accounts.
    The policy with Alibre was to allow users to install on multiple machines; but not for simultaneous use.
    The new license system allows easy self-service to pick and drop off a licenses on any machine as long as there is internet access.
    But, I understand many people already have a setup where they may have the software at work and at home, and deactivating and reactivating would be a huge burden. If you leave work before deactivating, you would have to remote desktop back to work to release your license.
    So all on-maintenance customers have been given a one-time increase in seat count to compensate for that. Simply put, you just got a seat for free; because you are our loyal customers. New sales are only one seat per purchase; new customers will be told up front about the need to deactivate and reactivate.
    You can keep one seat at work and one at home with no need to activate/deactivate in the scenario above.

Flexera - We have partnered with Flexera to try to offer the best possible solution for all of our customers. Flexera can and will help with any license related stuff (I can't activate my license, I had to format my PC before I could deactivate, license stopped working); that's their job. The main reason for that is to keep the support staff free to answer your burning questions about the actual software and tools. Ask us how to model your part, ask Flex to reset your license.
    Flex is a big company, and a strategic partner. If anything happens to them, there will be much bigger implications beyond 3D Systems and Geomagic Design; the system is critical in a number of medical and communications systems. The internet would have to basically implode; and then this stuff won't seem so important.
    We trust them to keep the license system running (honestly far better than we could internally).

I hope that answers a lot of questions.

I really, really hope people at least try the new version. It won't bite.
The team has put a lot of work into this over the past 9 months, and we are really proud of the new features.
I can say that Geomagic Design now has features that can't even be found in a $40k CAD package. 3D Scanning and 3D Printing seems slightly unpopular here; but we aren't done with that. Today, you can walk into Staples and buy a 3D Scanner for $400, and soon a 3D Printer for under $1,000; with more retailers coming through the year. And those things plug right into your software investment.
You can now backup your data to TeamPlatform, share with anyone in the world without the need for a viewer, and see your part, drawings, and full assemblies in 3D in a web browser (complete with association).

Not to mention all the free stuff.

I'll try to make more time to check the forum and answer questions. In general, most of the concerns I have seen so far are not big issues in reality; and many of the posts are now reflecting that. Just the terrifying unknown.

Thanks for your time.