What's new

GM Version 16?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Geez, there seems to be a lot of excitement about the new licensing policy.
Did anyone "buy" the Flex licensing from Alibre?
This sounds like the same thing to me. :?

manton

Andrew Roth said:
What If I have no internet access when "Phone Home" time comes.
maybe sitting in front of a customer? :shock:
Ummm am I locked out?
What if I'm on a plane going to see a customer no , have to make last minute changes, will I get locked out?
This is a bad Idea by a bad Newly graduated marketing grad.

I don't think that is an issue, as it will phone home every time you use the software, but it needs to connect at least every 30 days. Every time it reaches the server, the clock is reset.

Here it the relevant statement from the licensing help file for licensing with a Virtual Dongle (Node Lock):
We recommend you keep your PC connected to the Internet so your license information is updated each time you launch the product. If your PC is not connected to the internet for 30 days, you will no longer be able to use the application. Each time you launch the program with an Internet connection, the 30 day period is reset.

gibson45

If you check for updates in geomagic/alibre it will tell you its up to date version 15--------. version 16 has a few changes scanning etc. the main thing is the way they structure the licensing.
you can run the software up to 2 licenses on any computer you wish you can't exceed the 2 licenses. you activate or deactivate the licenses. sorta like Flex License.

AndrewTing

DavidJ said:
AndrewTing said:
so its basically stripping off whatever you had?

let me just get a grasp of the whole situation, I lose all my benefits with this so-called 'update'?

So I'm using Expert, I'll be downgraded to nothing?

Not quite sure what gives you these ideas. You can carry on using your current version with the legacy licensing system, or move to the new version with the new licensing activation mechanism.

Well, in the email, it does gives me the creeps...

Listed below are a few of the key changes and improvements to licensing:

Note: These changes affect versions of Geomagic Design released after March 11th. This free upgrade applies to the Geomagic Design product only. Any third party add-ons such as Keyshot, Vault, MOI, or Simulate are available for additional purchase. Please contact your Geomagic Design sales representative for more information.

Customers will no longer be using http://www.alibre.com to download future product releases or add-ons. No new product information, account information, downloads, or any other information will be maintained on http://www.alibre.com. Customers will no longer be using http://www.alibre.com to download future product releases or add-ons. No new product information, account information, downloads, or any other information will be maintained on http://www.alibre.com.

so does that mean that the keyshot and other add ons that are given to Expert users will be removed?

JuKu

MikeHenry said:
If I'm reading that right, you are implying that Flexera will be able to handle license issues in the event that 3DS or the GMD subsidiary ceases to exist. If that is the suggestion (and it does seem reasonable to me)...
They might be able to, but in that scenario, why would they, as their invoice to 3DS will not be paid? Flexera is not a charity organization.

mrehmus70

Andrew Roth said:
And How much is said USB Dongle going to cost?

A friend of mine was told $200 for a dongle and up to $500 to replace a lost or damaged dongle. Since he is on a very limited budget, he is not going to renew his maintenance and stand pat with version 2014.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MikeHenry said:
bigseb said:
This is the company handling our licenses: Flexera

They are not small fry. Have a look at their client list... great company to be in in my opinion...

If I'm reading that right, you are implying that Flexera will be able to handle license issues in the event that 3DS or the GMD subsidiary ceases to exist. If that is the suggestion (and it does seem reasonable to me), I'd still like to see it confirmed publically by both 3DS and Flexera management. I'd also like to specifically see what 3DS's policy is regarding how they are ensuring that licensed uses can continue to use GMD in the event that either 3DS, the Geomagic company, or the Geomagic Design ceases to exist or one or more of those entities ceases development and/or support for Geomagic Design and specifically as it is used for parametric mechanical CAD (as opposed to 3D printing CAD).

Agree 100%

bigseb

Alibre Super User
dsage said:
Sebastian:

Where did you read the statement that the software has to phone home once every 30 days to stay active or "perpetual".
Was it in a help file or something? I haven't seen it and I don't want to start an install of the new software to read it.
Could you cut and paste the text here for us to read?

It was a reply to that exact question that I posed to support through email.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Andrew Roth said:
What If I have no internet access when "Phone Home" time comes.
maybe sitting in front of a customer? :shock:
Ummm am I locked out?
What if I'm on a plane going to see a customer no , have to make last minute changes, will I get locked out?
This is a bad Idea by a bad Newly graduated marketing grad.
The whole phone home gives me the creeps too. SA isn't exactly the most internet friendly country. While I don't foresee any problems the possibility is always there that I might sit with a client and be locked out...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
bemfarmer said:
If I can quickly and easily swap a virtual dongle to my laptop, their stealing of the third install may be tolerable, despite their EULA threats.

I asked support about the reduction from 3 seats to 2. Their reply (email):

Your previous "active seat count" of 3 devices has actually been expanded to be as many devices as necessary! Also, the count of two virtual dongles actually indicates how many simultaneous seats you are licensed to be using, which has actually doubled from the original terms of the license!

bemfarmer

Thank you bigseb. I thought I still only had one seat. They should have mentioned that in their email notification, IMHO. Anyway, I deleted my post. I'm the only one using GM design.
So I could have the laptop sitting next to my computer, with both displaying GM design, as long as swapping out the "Home computer virtual dongle" is quick and easy, if it is?
- Brian

bigseb

Alibre Super User
To my understanding you can now use two seats simultaneously which should be a bonus for many here. Say, two at work. Then when you get home you deactivate the one work pc and activate the home pc. All online.

Have to say, it has huge advantages. And I still don't see 3DS or Flexera going belly up.

I am in it for the long haul. The Alibre guys are a great bunch and were very helpful. Many now work for 3DS so I intend remaining loyal.

My opinion.

bemfarmer

With the additional information, I am feeling more optimistic about the new version of GM Design :)
The color scheme of the screen is very nice.

- Brian

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
AndrewTing said:
Well, in the email, it does gives me the creeps...

so does that mean that the keyshot and other add ons that are given to Expert users will be removed?

Keyshot is in the new downloads resource, so is MoI, Vault, Dynamics, Simulate, Part Library, PDF Creator.

The old downloads system still works - but won't be updated for newer releases. Any users who are not on maintenance remain on the old system unless/until they choose to buy back in to maintenance.

I agree the original mail might have been clearer, spelling things out a few days in advance of the changes might have prevented a lot of panic/confusion

jack_

I've just upgraded my Geomagic Design [Expert] to the v16 version.
Besides scanning and meshes nothing new outside.
I hope that they at least removed a few bugs.

I think it's more responsive now...

normc

bigseb said:
dsage said:
Sebastian:

Where did you read the statement that the software has to phone home once every 30 days to stay active or "perpetual".
Was it in a help file or something? I haven't seen it and I don't want to start an install of the new software to read it.
Could you cut and paste the text here for us to read?

It was a reply to that exact question that I posed to support through email.

I am reading through all these posts and still confused about this "Phone Home" requirement to keep either the perpetual license or maintenance. Some of us users use Geomagic Design everyday and that may not be an issue. But some of us may use the software as a hobby or and might use it just every so often. So, if the software does not get turned and used during a 30 day period, then what happens?
Does the software shut off, lock up, need to reinstall my license key code again on both of my computers, loose my paid up maintenance, etc. ?

Norm

heidtwd

bigseb said:
To my understanding you can now use two seats simultaneously which should be a bonus for many here. Say, two at work. Then when you get home you deactivate the one work pc and activate the home pc. All online.

Have to say, it has huge advantages. And I still don't see 3DS or Flexera going belly up.

I am in it for the long haul. The Alibre guys are a great bunch and were very helpful. Many now work for 3DS so I intend remaining loyal.

My opinion.
Thanks Brother Seb. Your opinion means a lot to me and is very reassuring.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
JuKu said:
MikeHenry said:
If I'm reading that right, you are implying that Flexera will be able to handle license issues in the event that 3DS or the GMD subsidiary ceases to exist. If that is the suggestion (and it does seem reasonable to me)...
They might be able to, but in that scenario, why would they, as their invoice to 3DS will not be paid? Flexera is not a charity organization.

That was going to be my followup question. :)