What's new

How to fill an area with a honeycomb pattern

Ex Machina

After Harold made the comment in the thread on how to create an area fill pattern with an equation, I tried to develop a way to fill an area with a honeycomb pattern. In the end, I developed 2. Both are with some assumptions made. Take a look at the video and let me know what you think. Also, let me know if you have any ideas on how to do honeycomb fill patterns differently.

Enjoy guys!

P.S. I'm attaching the files of the designs shown in the video.

Attachments

• Honeycomb Base.AD_PKG
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • HoneyComb Fill Method 1.AD_PKG
    616.9 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That's great, Konstantinos. I was hoping there would be a way to create the fill pattern. I have a hard time with the calculations needed to create patterns and seeing how you walked thru setting them up helps a lot.
When I was working we used SolidWorks and it had a fill pattern that we used on a few designs. But to see it done in Alibre is great.

Ex Machina

What got me really interested in doing it is... I thought about your comment and couldn't think of a quick and easy way to do it. So, naturally, I wanted to figure it out even more then.

But you gave me a great idea for a video man. I even made a curved grill with the boolean method. Really fun and really helpful for 3D printing.