What's new

New features / improvements

Marco-IT

Hi all,
below I have listed a number of functions that I currently use with another 3D modeling program and that it would be interesting to implement in Alibre as well.

Assembly
-move parts/sub-assemblies in the tree within an assembly.
VIDEO1

-use “drag and drop” in the assembly to insert parts/sub-assemblies.

-move/rearrange the various components of a library by name or number.

-possibility to constraint parts/sub-assemblies in an assembly using the original XY-XZ-YZ planes (or user created planes) of each individual part/sub-assembly.
VIDEO2

-possibility to immediately view a part/sub-assembly in the tree by simply clicking on that part/sub-assembly (in an assembly with 300 unique parts, the tree immediately jumps to the selected part without having to scroll through the entire tree).
VIDEO3

-intelligent rectangular selection to hide/erase everything selected :
a. from top-right to bottom-left all elements that intersect the window are selected
b. from bottom-left to top-right only the elements included in the window are selected
VIDEO4

-possibility to see the movement of the parts with a mini player
VIDEO5

Part
-possibility of double-clicking on a function (or on a sketch) to edit it directly, without clicking the right mouse button and clicking on "edit".

-create the offset of a sketch maintaining the same constraints of the parent sketch which is then completely constrained with a single dimension.
VIDEO6

-apply some simple textures.
VIDEO7

-in my opinion this UCS is wrong. The Z should be in place of the Y.
VIDEO8

Sheet metal
-possibility of exporting the complete face of an unfolded sheet in a dxf file.
After having unfolded the sheet, right-click on the face and from the drop-down menu that appears I save the face in dxf format.
VIDEO9

-possibility to modify the edge of a fold and insert a round cut in the vertex.
VIDEO10

Drawing
-insert the complete note of the hole (it is not typed, but inserted automatically with a command).
VIDEO11

-insert the note of the bend (it is not typed, but inserted automatically with a command).
VIDEO12

-"erase" a portion of a part/assembly to view the one hidden underneath.
VIDEO13

-change the background color and sheet color.

-open a drawing directly from the part/assembly.
VIDEO14

-create a view of a 3D part/assembly that reflects exactly how I'm looking at it on the screen (the current view).
VIDEO15

- possibility of automatically inserting the date in a drawing when the drawing itself is created.

BOM
-create a structured BOM or with all the parts without having to sift through the sub-assemblies box every time.
VIDEO16

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO GALLERY: copy this link in your browser ----->>>> app.screencast.com/collections/g000300On7oy3bcPAXQpLmdiVgc4G
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for my bad English.
Thanks.
Marco

Last edited:

Ex Machina

Just let me help you with the ones I can.

-possibility to constraint parts/sub-assemblies in an assembly using the original XY-XZ-YZ planes (or user created planes) of each individual part/sub-assembly.
You can do that. Right-click a part and select "Show Reference Geometry" (hotkey Alt+0). If you have the assembly's reference geometry showing (that is Axes, Planes, etc.) the corresponding one for that part or subassembly will show. If nothing shows, click the assembly reference category you want to see. Both the part's references and those of the assembly will show. They can then be used to constraint parts.

-possibility to immediately view a part/sub-assembly in the tree by simply clicking on that part/sub-assembly (in an assembly with 300 unique parts, the tree immediately jumps to the selected part without having to scroll through the entire tree).
Right-click on a part (on any face or edge), and select Show Part in Explorer. It will also open any subassembly tree and show it.

I'm getting Solidworks vibes from this. But there is an add-on for that. As with Solidworks, you need to purchase this as an extra.

-in my opinion this UCS is wrong. The Z should be in place of the Y.
Maybe try to create managed views. That might help you get the orientation you want.

-insert the complete note of the hole (it is not typed, but inserted automatically with a command).
I'm pretty sure that is available already. Make sure that you create holes with the hole command.

I think that what you ask with video 10 in the sheet metal part of your post is already available. Just check the Corners tab of the flange command.

I hope these help.

Marco-IT

Thanks Ex Machina for your answers.

I uploaded the videos, maybe they can be more useful than the descriptions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting Solidworks vibes from this. But there is an add-on for that. As with Solidworks, you need to purchase this as an extra.
In the past I have used Mechanical Desktop, Cimatron, Catia, SolidEdge and Solidworks; now I use Inventor and this function is by default (and it's really convenient)

I think that what you ask with video 10 in the sheet metal part of your post is already available. Just check the Corners tab of the flange command.
There is a similar function, but it doesn't give the same effect

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A lot of these issues sound like, to quote Yogi Bera, deja vu all over again. Have you gone thru the training videos that are provided on the Alibre web site?
They may answer some of your questions.

VIDEO GALLERY: copy this link in your browser ----->>>> app.screencast.com/collections/g000300On7oy3bcPAXQpLmdiVgc4G
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marco, putting your link in my browser only gave me this:
1673637323294.png

If you are using Screencast you can "Share" links to your videos. That will give you a direct link to the video that you can paste into your post here on the forum.

1673637114056.png

So, instead of having to jump through hoops to get to your videos, they're just one click away from viewing your work.

Here's a link to an example of how I added a video link to a post.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
To answer a few of your questions:

Hi all,
below I have listed a number of functions that I currently use with another 3D modeling program and that it would be interesting to implement in Alibre as well.

VIDEO2
Right click on the part or subassembly in the design explorer and select Show Reference Geometry.
Part
-possibility of double-clicking on a function (or on a sketch) to edit it directly, without clicking the right mouse button and clicking on "edit".
double clicking on a part feature will open the function or sketch of that feature.
-create the offset of a sketch maintaining the same constraints of the parent sketch which is then completely constrained with a single dimension.
VIDEO6
That's been asked for.
Sheet metal
VIDEO10
Insert an Unbend, add your round cut, the insert an Rebend. There are also Bend Reliefs that you can adjust.
Drawing
VIDEO11
Right click on the view and select Insert Callouts.
hole callouts.jpg

"erase" a portion of a part/assembly to view the one hidden underneath.
VIDEO13
Insert a Broken out section view
broken out section.jpg

idslk

Alibre Super User
Have you gone thru the training videos that are provided on the Alibre web site?
and not to forget the forum search...
@ Marco: Your first thread could have been also a question like "Is it possible to to...?" instead of shoting blind on all things which which look like deer in your eyes...
but regardless you are wellcome anyway :)

Regards
Stefan

Marco-IT

Hi Harold,
i watched those videos a while ago and i remember not seeing any of my points from the first post.
When I have some time, I'll try to go through them all again.

The link I posted works for me. I tried it on several PCs with different browsers.
Unfortunately I had to do this because I couldn't insert the direct link to the videos due to a spam error.

Marco-IT

Sheet metal
VIDEO10
Insert an Unbend, add your round cut, the insert an Rebend. There are also Bend Reliefs that you can adjust.

This is the solution that I also found, but in this way the planning becomes much longer.
If you had to do it for 50-60 sheets, you understand that it is a great waste of time when it could easily be done with a single command.
I always try to optimize my time, maybe I'm asking too much.

Drawing
VIDEO11
hole callouts.jpg

I also found this command but when I tried to dimension a thread, it didn't recognize it by entering the dimension of the diameter of the hole.

"erase" a portion of a part/assembly to view the one hidden underneath.
VIDEO13
Insert a Broken out section view
broken out section.jpg

I hope you will be able to see the videos so maybe you understand what I'm talking about.

I also know this function but it's not what I was asking for: deleting a part doesn't happen by inserting a measure, but by deleting that portion of the part to show what's underneath. I often use a 3d view in the layout, and in this case that function doesn't work.

idslk

Alibre Super User
- click on a face in the assembly
- goto feature tab
- activate 2d sketch
- draw eg. a circle
- close sketch
- use Extrude
- choose type (as in normal extrude too)
- choose target instances (the parts you want to get cut)
1673642818901.png
- click ok
1673642879008.png

Regards
Stefan

Marco-IT

Sorry Stefan, it's not the ideal solution though (also for the realization times).

Example: I make a 3D view on the sheet of a large assembly. Usually I also apply 5-6 cuts to eliminate parts to show the ones behind, but all this happens without touching the 3D model but directly on the drawing view.

With your method I would have to take the 3D model and cut everything, which is unthinkable, the finished 3D model shouldn't be modified at all.

But thank you for your availability.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Marco,

BOM
-create a structured BOM or with all the parts without having to sift through the sub-assemblies box every time.

Please take a look - Toggle Rollup Display

BOM-Toggle-Rollup-Display.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I was able to get your link to work and view your videos.

One of the issues that I have seen repeated on the forum is that new users of Alibre are used to which ever CAD programs they have used, or are currently using, expect Alibre to work the same or have the same functions. If all CAD programs worked the same there wouldn't be a need for the variety that are in the market place. Just sayin'.

It will take some time to explore the capabilities of Alibre to see its full potential and then adapt your processes to its capabilities. Some of the functions you are asking for may be available by some other means or workflows. It will take some time to work them out to get the results you want, which may not be the same as you are experiencing now with your current program.

So, a couple more items that I may suggest from your list.

VIDEO5
You can use the Limit option for some constraints then drag parts within those limits.

VIDEO10
One more option you may try is to use the Miter option on the Corners tab of the Flange tool.

create a view of a 3D part/assembly that reflects exactly how I'm looking at it on the screen (the current view).
VIDEO15
You can create Custom views that can be used on your drawings.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
hole callouts.jpg

I also found this command but when I tried to dimension a thread, it didn't recognize it by entering the dimension of the diameter of the hole.
You need to use the Hole tool in order to get the callouts to label threaded holes. Don't use the Dimension tool, just RMB, or the pop up menu,

pop up menu.jpg

to add the hole callouts. I should note that if there are multiple same-sized holes, the callout is attached to the first hole placed with the hole tool. So some planning may be needed if you want the callout to be placed in a particular area or position in the drawing view.

sz0k30

One of the issues that I have seen repeated on the forum is that new users of Alibre are used to which ever CAD programs they have used, or are currently using, expect Alibre to work the same or have the same functions. If all CAD programs worked the same there wouldn't be a need for the variety that are in the market place. Just sayin'.

X2

Marco-IT

I customized:
-colors
-keyboard shortcuts
-mouse interaction
-command bar
-general options

Is there a file that groups all these customizations so that if I have to do a new installation on a PC I find everything ready?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That is your Alibre user.NET.profile_xx where xx is the version number of Alibre that is being used.

To find the file - follow 'log files directory' link on Utilities Tab of Home Window - a sub folder there named for the current user holds your profile(s).

Marco-IT

I copied that file which is in the "default user" folder but it didn't work.
For now I solved by setting everything again.
Thanks.