What's new

New features / improvements

Old Geeser

Can I please ask one more question? My son & I both have copies of Alibre. If he creates a file and then emails a copy to me. I store it on my computer, add to it then email it back to him. He now copies it back to his system. Is this file now corrupted? If it is, is the only problem that he can't include both his original file and the file I altered in the same assembly?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
You shouldn't even just copy files to different folders. Alibre files store the ABSOLUTE file path to it's constituent parts in the file, so copying or moving to another folder will still make assemblies think it's parts are in the original folder!

The ONLY way to move or copy an Alibre files is via Save As. This will generate new GUID's AND correct the internal constituent part filename references.

The application really needs a file manager to do all this stuff somehow. An open file system that has database like linking, is really not good when things are so interdependent and hard wired.

Agree 100%.

It is something I learned early on, the hard/difficult way of course. I don't like that it functions this way. I don't have any other 3D CAD software experience, but feel like they probably do not work this way???? It just seems bass ackward to me? I find it to be very cumbersome, especially when dealing with drawings of similar parts. I won't hijack the thread though to explain my process.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Can I please ask one more question? My son & I both have copies of Alibre. If he creates a file and then emails a copy to me. I store it on my computer, add to it then email it back to him. He now copies it back to his system. Is this file now corrupted? If it is, is the only problem that he can't include both his original file and the file I altered in the same assembly?
Basically, yes, that is correct. It's not corrupted, you just have 2 now different files with the same internal ID. In this case, open the emailed file and do a save as. Then make all your changes to the new version.
In fact, if you both adopt the workflow of doing a save as with any shared alibre files, this will alleviate the problem. Copy it to a temporary location, open it and do a save as to its correct folder.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
a. from top-right to bottom-left all elements that intersect the window are selected
b. from bottom-left to top-right only the elements included in the window are selected
This rectangular selection is possible in sketches and drawings but would also be nice if added to 3d selections. Up vs down mouse movement doesn't matter but left vs right mouse movement does.

Ex Machina

You could use a cloud service like Google Drive or OneDrive. Then, it's the same file... To an extent.

Marco-IT

Hi guys,
Is there the possibility to know in the BOM which callouts I have inserted in the sheet?
If for example I have an assembly with 100 pieces, how do I know which callouts I still have to enter without having to manually count them?

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 16

Marco-IT

Sorry guys, but is there anyone who actually takes note of all these possible functions to evaluate their actual development in future versions of Alibre?

Some functions that I listed in the first post you have partially solved with your advice, while others are actually missing, and these can really help me speed up the design.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Marco - this forum is for users to discuss things amongst themselves. You should not assume that any item discussed here will be noted by Alibre (unless a staff member specifically mentions this has been done).

Enhancement suggestions/requests can be submitted to Alibre Support (ONE item per ticket please, and include as much detail as possible about desired functionality). Submit via https://support.alibre.com/s/

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Sorry guys, but is there anyone who actually takes note of all these possible functions to evaluate their actual development in future versions of Alibre?

Some functions that I listed in the first post you have partially solved with your advice, while others are actually missing, and these can really help me speed up the design.
There is a 'Feedback' section in the forum. There used to be an 'enhancement/suggestion' feature of the forum, but that disappeared a long time ago.

@Max, the Alibre CEO, and I'm sure other Alibre employees, regularly read and comment on the forum. So, I would be very surprised if some of these great suggestions just fall by the wayside!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - submitting a ticket gets the item recorded, it also opens up a channel of communication with the customer (when more detail is needed for example). Support can check the Development system for pre-existing requests, or forward the subject to the Product Manager for consideration.

In many cases Support can point out that the requested function or something very close already exists, or can provide a workaround.

Marco-IT

Sorry guys if I keep disturbing, but once these little "mistakes" are fixed I will become independent.

In previous posts I mentioned "splitting" a view in the sheet. I've tried creating a "broken" configuration to cut chunks so that the die is displayed underneath.
The operation goes well, but if I go back to the default configuration the extrusion operation should be deactivated, instead it is present.

The cut should only be present in the broken configuration.

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 28

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I don't think that the configurations and those Feature tools work the same way in Assembly mode.

I 100% AVOID using the Extrude and Hole tools in Assemblies..

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There are currently no configuration lock for Assembly Features. There is already an enhancement request logged to add such a lock, and hence allow the cuts/holes to be specific to certain configurations only.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Feature Request is an option when creating a ticket.
Thanks Harold. Wouldn't have buried it in the 'issues list', but that's just me I suppose! For me there would have been a radio button option at the very top to select 'Issue' OR 'Request', then drill down on the specifics. Guess that's why I've never looked there for suggestions since it was removed from the forum main page ... but now I know!