What's new

Shaded View option not always available in some drawings of assemblies ?

Hi All
This problem has been around for a while and I have asked about this in the past.

I remember than the inter-part constraints in an Assembly sometimes create this issue.

I have had situations recently where I have modified an assembly after it has been developed into a drawing and found that when the drawing is updated the Shaded view has been lost, now only a standard view is possible.

My request is can anyone please outline exactly what constraint interaction in an Assembly creates this situation.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Southernpedro

Hi
As follow-up this was posted in a previous post

Limitations of Creating Draft and Shaded Views​

When creating a 2D drawing of an assembly, there can be limitations on creating Draft Views and Shaded Views. If a top-level assembly or any sub-assembly within a model contains both inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, Draft Views and Shaded Views will not be available. Both of these cases require the same assembly or sub-assembly for the limitation to exist. For example, Configurations in the main assembly and inter-design constraints in a sub-assembly will not prevent you from creating Shaded or Draft Views.

Q1: a top-level assembly or any sub-assembly within a model contains both inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, Draft Views and Shaded Views will not be available

1: So the top assembly can only have Multiple configurations?
2: Does Inter design constraints include Main assembly reference geometry Mated to part reference geometry ?

Q2: Both of these cases require the same assembly or sub-assembly for the limitation to exist.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Any comments appreciated.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Inter-design constraints are like when you project the face of one part into the face of another part using maintain association.

Hi Nat
Thanks for the response.
I have read the above description : contains ""both"" inter-design constraints and multiple configurations, I take from this that inter-design contraints on their own dont cause a problem. If you pair them with a part which has multiple configurations then you have a problem. then you get issues.

Whats your thought?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yes. but possibly also assembly level sketches inter-design constraints and multiple assembly level configurations could cause the problem as well. But that is just my speculation.

MKR

Has been a recurring theme for 10 years now.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I discovered this too, early in my usage of the software. I design completely without inter-design constraints, and have changed my workflow to include the usage of the Global Parameters so that dimensions that would be shared between parts are referenced in the GP file. This solves the issue of the shading. It also makes it easy to update parts and drawings, with a mere change to the value in Global Parameter file. You of course have to be structured in your approach if you are going to do it this way.