What's new

SimLab Composer

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Other question: Can I be put a picture to the background on SimLab?
Yes you can, please take a look:

Attachments

• Environment-Backplate.jpg
    Environment-Backplate.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 214

JL82

I tested SimLab Composer today. I like more Keyshot because it is very much easier use. There is some features in Hypershot what is better.

1. Ralf told already that picture could be on the background on SimLab but only during rendering. I would like to put the 3D-model to background and it take many rendering times if I want to get the perfect picutres.

2. Can I be modificating the materials and its all properties? I tried to change colour of the wood material. Anyway it is many times difficult like on Hypershot.

I think I will be buying SimLab Composer because rendering resolution is good and the price low.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I use SimLab and KeyShot, both have advantages, which I appreciate. :)
As with any application, it is important to learn how it works.

It is not difficult to edit materials...
Please take a look:

Attachments

• 4-5-6.jpg
    4-5-6.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 1-2-3.jpg
    1-2-3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 226

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
If you read the Keyshot Help>About, you will see that the CAD import has been licensed from SIMLAB. And Simlab license the rendering from Luxion.

There is a small problem when importing a STEP file as the sub-assembly structure is not retained. But I have sent them two sample models, and from my post in their forum, they will be working on fixing that as well. In the meantime you can use the ALT + LeftClick and Drag to recreate the assembly structure again in Simlab. The Alibre to SketchUp exporter had the same problem.

With a STEP import, you can modify all faces individually. You can also Publish a 3D PDF from Alibre, and all the parts, configurations and assemblies will be retained perfectly. The only problem is that you can only texture the by part and not face, but that is often enough. That is a 3D PDF, and not just the U3D exported from the PDF. You can also output another 3D PDF with more options from Simlab. I prefer sending 3D PDF's to clients for review. Now you can texture the 3D PDF, and send a wood grain, or other textured model to the client. The display is not quite the quality of a rendering, but you can also send along fixed renders as the cover image or in addition to the 3D PDF. Just use the Alibre PDF printer to convert the static image output from Simlab to a PDF and specify that image to be included before the 3D PDF.

I use AP214 STEP files to import into Simlab, and you can modify the current material assignments.

The Simlab forum is very responsive (at least from Pacific Time) and rapidly answer questions not covered in the manual. They seem really interested in customer support and responding to their forum inquiries. v2.0 is just the start for some interesting enhancements. They hope to be able to handle individual face texturing in all formats, and not just STEP imports. Add the suggestion to the forum about background images. I would set the rendering settings to a low level during positioning, and up them after the positioning is correct.

Use the Tools > Generate Texture Coordinates to rapidly modify textures and placement, and modify colors, reflectivity in the Properties window. Use Tools > Precise Transformation to rotate imported STEP models 90 degrees about the X axis to stand them up, and then snap to ground. A day or two playing with all the options on the interface, and I pretty much had things figured out.

The "back offset" in my Alibre model for the curved shelves is the distance from the radius center. So with a 36" radius and 27" back offset, the shelf depth is 36 - 27 = 9" at its deepest.

rogpf44

Hello,

Question for those who have purchased SimLab Composer please.

I have been left without a rendering program a couple of times now due to the 2 – 5 day delays with email response in getting the license.

When you purchase Simlab Composer by credit card, what is the procedure to get up and running?
Is it similar to HyperShot\KeyShot in that you have to wait for an email license for your system?

Thank you.

jhardy1

rogpf44 said:
Hello,

Question for those who have purchased SimLab Composer please.

I have been left without a rendering program a couple of times now due to the 2 – 5 day delays with email response in getting the license.

When you purchase Simlab Composer by credit card, what is the procedure to get up and running?
Is it similar to HyperShot\KeyShot in that you have to wait for an email license for your system?

Thank you.
My experience (all times and dates are for east coast Australia - UT + 10:00):

Downloaded the trial on Sunday morning 11 April.
Sent in e-mail request for trial licence at 10:54 a.m.
Received e-mail trial licence at 11:09 a.m. - 15 minutes later on a Sunday morning in Australia, Saturday night in Europe. Presumably a "robot" looks after this. (Either that, or SimLab's operators are up working all hours and responding to e-mails, like Max! :D )This trial licence provides full functionality, but allows only a limited number of renders to be generated - 30 from memory.
I was so impressed that I bought the full licence on-line at 6:39 p.m. Wednesday April 14. Full licence details were e-mailed back to me at 11:40 a.m. on Thursday 15 April.

jhardy1

wathavy4 said:
How about it as compared to Hyper shot?
Same kind of easy operation?
SimLab is extremely simple to operate, in my opinion. I was knocking out renders that were pretty impressive (by my modest standards! :D ) within a few minutes of downloading.

Is it as easy / powerful as HyperShot? That I can't say, as I don't have a copy of HyperShot. Best way of finding out (unless someone has experience with both) would be to download the SimLab trial and try it for yourself.

Hope this helps!

rogpf44

Thank you jhardy1 for your reply.

The information that you provided will help me in the decision that I will shortly have to make.
Thanks again.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
jhardy1 said:
SimLab is extremely simple to operate, in my opinion. I was knocking out renders that were pretty impressive (by my modest standards! :D ) within a few minutes of downloading.
Gosh, I need to persuade my wife after letting her to abandon her cosmetics gadgets, that would not be easy, I bet. :cry:

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
I personally think SimLab is better than Keyshot for usability. It already has the features they are advertising for Keyshot 2, such as "scene tree" and more formats. You work in a single window (as you will be with Keyshot 2) and different panes can be opened for file and texture manipulation..

I found SimLab easier to zoom and place materials on the model. The Texture application is similar to Keyshot with the same type of drag and drop system.
SimLab has better windows for adjusting the Textures, and controlling the Texture application. It has more control dialog panes that you can activate by the menu or keystroke.

The rendering appears to be the same a Keyshot as it uses the same rendering engine.

And best of all, SimLab is reasonably priced. I think Keyshot is a bit overpriced for what you get, compared to other rendering programs.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
During my tests I had some things I didn't like in SimLab Composer. Anyone have any ideas if I was just doing something wrong?

Making changes in the texture properties for a surface had no effect on the texture of the surface. Only thing I could do to change it was modify the properties of the original texture ball and re-apply.

View movement was similar to 3D PDFs which is less than ideal.

A few other minor things.

I'm all for the next big thing but I feel this is not it - unless they make some big changes.

simlab

Hello Nate,

The post http://www.simlabforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98 shows how to apply a texture on a face, I hope that it answers your question.

Regarding navigation, this is a tough one, before adopting our navigation model we investigated different applications including Alibre, Solidworks, 3DS Max, and Rhino, and we decided that 3D PDF provides the most suitable navigation system, because unlike Alibre, SimLab Composer is not a design application, we wanted to provide it with a very simple navigation system that even none 3D experts can use.

The problem with selecting a navigation system if that users always prefer to use the same navigation system they are used to, in the CAD package they use, though this is something we consider for the future (allowing the user to switch navigation system to match CAD), this is not on top of our priority list, as we are focusing more on improving the rendering workflow
We truly appreciate feedback that helps us improve SimLab Composer, so if you have any suggestions please post it to the simlab forum (http://www.simlabforum.com) , we will be grateful for helping us shaping the next versions of SimLab Composer

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Use Tools -> Generate texture coordinates when placing textures. That will allow you to rotate, resize and offset textures.

As for navigation, it is the Alibre Zoom and Pan with the Middle wheel. Just the rotation uses only the left button, instead of both left and right buttons.
About as close to Alibre view manipulation as any program.

Use Tools > Precise Transformations when importing a model to rotate the entire model 90 degrees about the X axis, and Snap to Ground (a lot easier than Keyshot).

SimLab Composer is just what I need to quickly texture and render a model for presentation. Also, it allows me to create 3D PDF files of the
textured model as well. Comparisons with Keyshot are because the capabilities are very similar, and the fantastic price makes it the next "little" thing to add to my
arsenal of tools to make sales and presentations. The next best thing is the expensive Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended which can manipulate 3D PDF's and render as well.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
:D
Toshi, I would try it with new shoes for your wife and then some times later, on the way back to home:
"Oh my god,
I still wanted to tell you,
that I almost forgot,
it`s very important and only in this month I can have the best offer ..." :lol:

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Nice idea.

Have you seen my wife lately, she has been using her sneaker for more than 7 years. :shock:
I will take a day off and make a date with her, and she loves limited time best offer for any thing. :mrgreen:

BTW;
Munich sales office of ours requires fluent German user as our sales manager or equivalent.
Either you make me good German listener or give me some of your human resources, so I can give them some candidates.
Gee I should have learned German instead of French. :lol:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Yep , or early in the morning, 1 minute before leaving the house.
Let's say in the last minute, a last minute Question, for a great last minute offer. :D