What's new

Starting a New Thread for the Crib Sheet and Bolts, Screws, and Studs

Stu3d

Seth
I had a go at printing an M20 bolt with a 30mm head on my Ankermake M5. PLA+, 190 degrees C, layer height 0.1mm (first layer 0.2mm).
I made it hollow so it printed quicker and to save filament, that gave me some ideas.
If a large bolt, say M100 x 100mm, was printed hollow it would make a fun novelty desk organiser for pens, pencils etc. Alternatively it could be a workbench organiser and the head could have different size holes for drill bits or small screwdrivers or hexagonal 7mm holes for screw driver bits. I put some holes in the M20 bolt head to demo the idea. The head size for M100 bolt is 145mm.
Largest metric bolt I found spec for was M160, spanner size for the head would be 230mm! Would need a large printer but would be really cool to print one :)
Stu

bolt1.pngbolt2.png

silver2row

Sir...I think you are in luck. I have a sort of large 3D Printer. Bragging here and trying for some odd reason, I "reconditioned" an older PrintrBot 1403 with a 6" * 6" * 6" build into a behemoth of a bot.

Now...I can make 19" * 6" * 19" builds. The reason the 6" for the Y_Axis is still 6" is because of an issue I had with the fastening of the Axis in question. In any light, if someone has some ideas for lengthening a basically flat surface to 19", let this brother know.

I have some books on programming and mathematical equations for I-beams but nothing in the form of structural soundness of a 1403 Printer. ha.

Seth

P.S. The book I have currently is this one in case you have read it: "Introductory Mathematics for Engineering Applications (Rattan, Klingbeil 2015)." So far, the build has gone well without proper mechanics and engineering. Anyway, I may be able to make this novel item in the near future. M160 with a 230mm hexagonal head! Where did you find that specification?

Stu3d

M160 bolt details here https://www.globalfastener.com/standards/detail_514.html
Your printer would easily print an M100 bolt but it would take a while.
A nut could be designed to fit a large bolt but not have the hole in it go all the way through, it would then be like a cap for a container.
Fun fact, largest bolts ever made that were actually used were 27' 4" long and 4' 2" diameter, weighed 12.6 tons, 60 were made to bolt 2 oil tankers together, the bolts failed, no photos unfortunately.

silver2row

Neat. That global fastener has many standards that usually cost money from ASME and others. Nice!

Seth

P.S. And...ha. Of course those bolts failed. Too much shear action available for something that long and thick. Nice fun fact there, though. And yes sir, that bolt along with a nut would take forever, i.e. even at 20 infill and lines being the infill type for the density.

Stu3d

I found a few 230mm open ended and ring spanners suitable for M160 bolt head available for sale, up to 800mm long, weight between 38.5 & 45kg, cost around £10,000 :oops:
M180 thread is a thing, 8mm pitch.

I guess the Penrith tanker bolts would have looked a bit like these mock ups which are made out of 5mm steel plate.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 094636.png

silver2row

I just liked it. Are those real? I mean to ask, "Are those made of metal like you say?" Those bolts are so enormous, I am having cataract surgery tomorrow. I am just joking as this is no laughing matter but is that AI or the biggest bolts ever? Wait...those are heavy hex nuts to boot. Sheesh.

I am not sure that guy in the middle is safe from whatever is takin' place in that photo. I am literally scared of it now. Aw!

Seth

P.S. All jokes aside, I am not having cataract surgery and those are really the biggest, most excruciating things to look at currently. There is no way those worked. I just read the entire thing. Mock ups. Dang it. You had me goin'.

JamesMC

I found a few 230mm open ended and ring spanners suitable for M160 bolt head available for sale, up to 800mm long, weight between 38.5 & 45kg, cost around £10,000 :oops:
M180 thread is a thing, 8mm pitch.

I guess the Penrith tanker bolts would have looked a bit like these mock ups which are made out of 5mm steel plate.

View attachment 41030
Haha! I drew those up!

Attachments

• 20190328_191550.jpg
    20190328_191550.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15