What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

Ken226

Alibre Super User
The instructions on the practice models indicate that you should set the material, density and units before you click "show drawing", which starts the time. But, it doesn't show you any of that info until after you can see the drawing, which of course, starts the time.

It seems odd that it instructs you to set up materials, density and units off the clock, but makes it impossible. It definitely eats up some of the time when you have to change the model properties on the clock. I'm not sure what the intent was with that.

Ex Machina

The instructions on the practice models indicate that you should set the material, density and units before you click "show drawing", which starts the time. But, it doesn't show you any of that info until after you can see the drawing, which of course, starts the time.

It seems odd that it instructs you to set up materials, density and units off the clock, but makes it impossible. It definitely eats up some of the time when you have to change the model properties on the clock. I'm not sure what the intent was with that.
Yeah, it might be worded badly but I think they mean set up the templates beforehand, like we showed above. By the way, if you don't want to be making these files, here are mine:

Attachments

• IPS ABS.AD_PRT
    227 KB · Views: 9
  • IPS Alu.AD_PRT
    227 KB · Views: 7
  • IPS Alu.AD_SMP
    227.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IPS Steel.AD_PRT
    230 KB · Views: 7
  • IPS Steel.AD_SMP
    227.5 KB · Views: 7
  • MMGS ABS.AD_PRT
    225 KB · Views: 7
  • MMGS Alu.AD_PRT
    231.5 KB · Views: 7
  • MMGS Alu.AD_SMP
    227.5 KB · Views: 8
  • MMGS Steel.AD_PRT
    231.5 KB · Views: 7
  • MMGS Steel.AD_SMP
    230 KB · Views: 7
Hey, Ex Machina or Joko, or really anyone, I'd be super interested in a solve video for the second model ("Smoothy Shaker") in today's Model Monday stream. I managed it in the end, but I'm wondering what I could have done differently, especially with those fins.

Last edited:
Honestly I think I figured out what your solution would be by watching your other video on TTT models, the egg-shaped one. The method you did for the inside "fin" part of that is what I did for the fins in the "Smoothy Shaker" model. Whether there's a better way, I'm not sure. But that's what I did.

Ex Machina

Honestly I think I figured out what your solution would be by watching your other video on TTT models, the egg-shaped one. The method you did for the inside "fin" part of that is what I did for the fins in the "Smoothy Shaker" model. Whether there's a better way, I'm not sure. But that's what I did.
To be honest with fins and stuff like that that end on a cylinder, I project the cylindrical face and just make a vertical or horizontal constraint with the end of the line, if that makes sense.

Even if you don't get the lines you can get from a section view, but you will always get at least a point you can use. Projecting a section view is a very particular technique and because it is not parametric, it should be used only if there is no alternative.

Gotcha. I think I got it fine then, probably close to how you'd do it. Which is good, because that model was nothing at all compared to 24-01-08 on the practice page. I've attempted it twice, from two different ways, and given it over 4 hours of my life and I still have barely managed to even get any geometry that I'm confident in. I'm convinced it's supposed to be a sheet metal part even though it clearly says it's a machined part. I've given up. If you find time for a video, do this one instead.

Ex Machina

Gotcha. I think I got it fine then, probably close to how you'd do it. Which is good, because that model was nothing at all compared to 24-01-08 on the practice page. I've attempted it twice, from two different ways, and given it over 4 hours of my life and I still have barely managed to even get any geometry. I'm convinced it's supposed to be a sheet metal part even though it clearly says it's a machined part. I've given up. If you find time for a video, do this one instead.
Oh man, that one is coursed!!! You need to be extremely careful of how you make the curvatures be consistently 5mm. Really hard model. Probably the only one I did not enjoy making.

Oh man, that one is coursed!!! You need to be extremely careful of how you make the curvatures be consistently 5mm. Really hard model. Probably the only one I did not enjoy making.
I got it so messed up that constraints broke in Alibre. It just outright wouldn't constrain anything anymore, it refused. Again, I literally didn't manage to get any meaningful geometry.
On my first attempt, I started with the little disc part, and got that, but had no clue how to proceed. On my second attempt, I tried starting from the other side, and just couldn't get anything to work out.

gwbruce

I didn't do the thumb lever as sheet metal. I seem to remember there are a couple of trick to getting things right but it isn't impossible.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Gotcha. I think I got it fine then, probably close to how you'd do it. Which is good, because that model was nothing at all compared to 24-01-08 on the practice page. I've attempted it twice, from two different ways, and given it over 4 hours of my life and I still have barely managed to even get any geometry that I'm confident in. I'm convinced it's supposed to be a sheet metal part even though it clearly says it's a machined part. I've given up. If you find time for a video, do this one instead.

I did it as a standard model rather than sheet metal. Here is how I did it:

gwbruce

It's Wednesday and time for round 2 of the TTT Spring Open. Today is the first appearance of Alibre in the tournament. Lets all send positive vibes to Ty and wish him well. Fingers cross that nerves don't get the best of him. hey Ty, just breath and stay calm. You got this.

Ex Machina

Ty, Stay Calm, Stay Focused, and do what you know! That should be enough to take you to round 2. It is within your abilities to beat Dom.

Go TY!

If you lose, no problem. You're still one of the 2 Blue Wizards of TooTallToby's Competition Legendarium!

Ty, Stay Calm, Stay Focused, and do what you know! That should be enough to take you to round 2. It is within your abilities to beat Dom.

Go TY!

If you lose, no problem. You're still one of the 2 Blue Wizards of TooTallToby's Competition Legendarium!
Take it slow and steady! Be deliberate with your dimensioning!