What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

That's specifically prohibited in the rules, Adam. But it would only make a difference in the qualifiers or a monthly leaderboard challenge. In the actual competition, it makes no difference because you're looking at the print while it's opening.

P.S. If you've opened every template at least once, my system takes just under 6sec to re-open it. And you can still be seleting sketch tool via hotkeys while it is. So, I'm not worried.
Interesting, i meant something similar to OnShape's TTT addon which is allowed.

You've done very well today @Ex Machina
You were laid back and did what you had to do with great professionalism and sportsmen.
Congratulations on your victory, and I'm looking forward to Alibre vs Onshape
Alibre vs OnShape will be a really tight matchup. There's a lot of similar functionality, and having learned on OnShape, it really is a smooth software. It'll be a good match for sure.

Ex Machina

So... This is the next day. I woke up feeling like I'd been in a fist fight. Mouth bitter from the adrenaline...

But it was a win! And I'll take it. As an ancient (if you're Gen Z) philosopher once said: "Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

Thanks to every single one of you guys here. Your support did help! You can be sure of that!

What Happened
But the truth of the matter is that it was not my best self. I made mistakes. In the second model I paused and looked at the print to find the width of the center wall and I couldn't find it. Because it was a full width wall. So, brain froze there and allowed Michal to catch up and ruined what would be a commanding performance.

Not to mention that I completely forgot about the fillets in the first model and when I got the wrong answer in, I went looking for the error on the sketch of the side Thru-All extruded cut. Thank God Adam was screaming "The filleeeeeeeets..." and I somehow heard him over the Atlantic and the Mediterranean Sea! :oops:;):)

And there was another problem. As soon as I started, I noticed I was getting really bad frame-rate and massive input lag. And when I say massive, I mean 2-3 seconds input lag. Which threw me off completely. I didn't even know if what I did went in so I can move on to the next thing...

But I was lucky enough to win the match and I think the nerves have gone away. Or at least there will be less nerves next time!

What happens now?
Next match up is with Imants. That'll be really tough on me for several reasons. Onshape has a few more bells and whistles that help model faster. It's not necessarily that it can create any geometry that Alibre cannot. Just the different options of getting there are more, which helps.

So, I do feel I'm on the back foot here and I don't expect to win that one. But it's not like I was sure to win with Michal, and I still did. So, I am going to give it my best shot. I'm going to practice more and try to train my brain not to freeze and my eyes not to discard random dimensions, lol. Practice also help with the nerves and I need to fix that too because Imants has got a lot more experience in these competitions, even though he's just a kid and has a lot less experience in real world design than me.

How can you guys help me?
unfortunately, you guys can't just yell things to me to do. I still don't know how I heard Adam, but we can't rely on that happening again. But what you guys can probably help me with is all that lag.

1) Do you guys know how to configure zoom to not hit my system so hard? You can see the specs of my laptop in my signature. It has no discernible difference when using Teams, but Zoom seemed to kill it. Will it help if I assign Zoom to be run on the Nvidia GPU instead of leaving it for Windows to automatically select?

2) I've had this problem with Alibre since I first installed it back in v24. I have an ASUS A15 TUF for me and an ASUS ROG Strix 15 for my wife to work on. For "reasons", I have installed Alibre on both systems over time, and both of them exhibited the following behaviour:

When I assign Alibre to run on the Nvidia GPU it uses the AMD APU and runs rubbish. Low frame-rate and lots of input lag. In fact, when I open any system monitor (Task Manager, ASUS Armoury Crate, GPU-Z, etc) it shows the GPU being idle. When I assign it to use the AMP APU it runs fine, and every monitor shows activity on the GPU (and the APU to be precise).

That happens whether I assign it via Alibre, Windows Settings or the Nvidia Control Panel.

Is there any way to resolve that so that I get a bit more power out of my system for the next round?

Again thanks for all the support guys. It's been a great ride!

I have a feeling I will crash and burn on the next round, but at least I'm:

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I find that running any screen-share app can be very detrimental to responsiveness in other software (e.g. Alibre), and occasionally I may find something that simply won't display when doing a screen-share, typically tooltips. I use a range of screen-share tools for support or demo sessions with Alibre.

Now I suspect there is a wide variation in exactly how the different apps do screen updating - in the past I tried several remote control apps for computers before settling on UltraVNC - because it gave much better responsiveness than anything else I had tried. I mention that only do illustrate that performance can vary, and by a lot.

If you are stuck with Zoom, there does seem to be some advice available on-line about optimising its settings.

Maybe check for idle background processes in Windows too - I find that despite setting Microsoft Edge to NOT run in the background, it still tends to leave several processes running even after closing it. Something like that could be eating into resources which won't help.

My own laptop has the same confusion over graphics adapters for Alibre - I've found that 'Let Windows decide' does use the Nvidia RTX, rather than the AMD Radeon. Once you have it set in a way that can use the high performance card, I wouldn't worry about what Windows thinks is being used.

Make sure hardware accelerated graphics scheduling is enabled in Windows. Turn off the reflections and shadows in AD, consider turning off ambient occlusion - work through the other performance tips in Alibre Help. No point in having Alibre wasting resources on fancy graphics options if raw performance is the goal.

Make sure to have computer on well before your contest - that last thing you need is a 'silent' Windows update or a virus scan happening during your session.

Good luck.

Ex Machina

I find that running any screen-share app can be very detrimental to responsiveness in other software (e.g. Alibre), and occasionally I may find something that simply won't display when doing a screen-share, typically tooltips. I use a range of screen-share tools for support or demo sessions with Alibre.

Now I suspect there is a wide variation in exactly how the different apps do screen updating - in the past I tried several remote control apps for computers before settling on UltraVNC - because it gave much better responsiveness than anything else I had tried. I mention that only do illustrate that performance can vary, and by a lot.

If you are stuck with Zoom, there does seem to be some advice available on-line about optimising its settings.

Maybe check for idle background processes in Windows too - I find that despite setting Microsoft Edge to NOT run in the background, it still tends to leave several processes running even after closing it. Something like that could be eating into resources which won't help.

My own laptop has the same confusion over graphics adapters for Alibre - I've found that 'Let Windows decide' does use the Nvidia RTX, rather than the AMD Radeon. Once you have it set in a way that can use the high performance card, I wouldn't worry about what Windows thinks is being used.

Make sure hardware accelerated graphics scheduling is enabled in Windows. Turn off the reflections and shadows in AD, consider turning off ambient occlusion - work through the other performance tips in Alibre Help. No point in having Alibre wasting resources on fancy graphics options if raw performance is the goal.

Make sure to have computer on well before your contest - that last thing you need is a 'silent' Windows update or a virus scan happening during your session.

Good luck.
Solid advice there David. I hadn't even thought about he update. I have it at Let Windows Decide right now too. But it seems to use both. Both spike when I spin the model fast. I'll do some more digging but if any of you have any ideas I'm willing to try.

Now, as for optimizing Zoom, I'm not sure that'd be a solution. All I have found online on that subject is to turn off HD, which means that the stream would be horrible to look at. It is a spectator sport after all... And the same goes for turning down the bell and whistles of Alibre. If you ask me, it's as much about performance as it is about showcasing Alibre. So, if I could avoid turning that stuff down, I'd prefer it.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Up to you - personally I find reflections and shadows nothing but a distraction, never have them enabled. Having them turned off also helps the graphics card on my desktop PC as models get larger and more complex (it's a GTX 1050Ti, so quite modest by current standards).

My understanding is that the AMD adapter will always be active on the laptop - it actually controls the screen, but 'passes through' from the Nvidia when that is selected. The Nvidia has no direct connection to the screen. You should always ensure both drivers are current.

Ex Machina

Up to you - personally I find reflections and shadows nothing but a distraction, never have them enabled. Having them turned off also helps the graphics card on my desktop PC as models get larger and more complex (it's a GTX 1050Ti, so quite modest by current standards).

My understanding is that the AMD adapter will always be active on the laptop - it actually controls the screen, but 'passes through' from the Nvidia when that is selected. The Nvidia has no direct connection to the screen. You should always ensure both drivers are current.
Yup, both drivers were updated a couple of days before the competition.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Re the HD video setting, surely that's for your video stream (from camera) not for the screen share...? No offence, but do spectators really need to see your face in full glory...

Maybe do some tests with a friendly audience if that's possible. See if any settings do help.

Ex Machina

Re the HD video setting, surely that's for your video stream (from camera) not for the screen share...? No offence, but do spectators really need to see your face in full glory...

Maybe do some tests with a friendly audience if that's possible. See if any settings do help.
Lol, Do they need that? It depends. If they really have to re-evaluate their life choices. I'm not saying they want it. But they might need it. lololololol

I don't know though man. I'm guessing it's about what you stream. Whether that's your face or the thing you're sharing, I don't know. I assumed it's the same thing.