What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

So... This is the next day. I woke up feeling like I'd been in a fist fight. Mouth bitter from the adrenaline...

But it was a win! And I'll take it. As an ancient (if you're Gen Z) philosopher once said: "Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

Thanks to every single one of you guys here. Your support did help! You can be sure of that!

What Happened
But the truth of the matter is that it was not my best self. I made mistakes. In the second model I paused and looked at the print to find the width of the center wall and I couldn't find it. Because it was a full width wall. So, brain froze there and allowed Michal to catch up and ruined what would be a commanding performance.

Not to mention that I completely forgot about the fillets in the first model and when I got the wrong answer in, I went looking for the error on the sketch of the side Thru-All extruded cut. Thank God Adam was screaming "The filleeeeeeeets..." and I somehow heard him over the Atlantic and the Mediterranean Sea! :oops:;):)

And there was another problem. As soon as I started, I noticed I was getting really bad frame-rate and massive input lag. And when I say massive, I mean 2-3 seconds input lag. Which threw me off completely. I didn't even know if what I did went in so I can move on to the next thing...

But I was lucky enough to win the match and I think the nerves have gone away. Or at least there will be less nerves next time!

What happens now?
Next match up is with Imants. That'll be really tough on me for several reasons. Onshape has a few more bells and whistles that help model faster. It's not necessarily that it can create any geometry that Alibre cannot. Just the different options of getting there are more, which helps.

So, I do feel I'm on the back foot here and I don't expect to win that one. But it's not like I was sure to win with Michal, and I still did. So, I am going to give it my best shot. I'm going to practice more and try to train my brain not to freeze and my eyes not to discard random dimensions, lol. Practice also help with the nerves and I need to fix that too because Imants has got a lot more experience in these competitions, even though he's just a kid and has a lot less experience in real world design than me.

How can you guys help me?
unfortunately, you guys can't just yell things to me to do. I still don't know how I heard Adam, but we can't rely on that happening again. But what you guys can probably help me with is all that lag.

1) Do you guys know how to configure zoom to not hit my system so hard? You can see the specs of my laptop in my signature. It has no discernible difference when using Teams, but Zoom seemed to kill it. Will it help if I assign Zoom to be run on the Nvidia GPU instead of leaving it for Windows to automatically select?

2) I've had this problem with Alibre since I first installed it back in v24. I have an ASUS A15 TUF for me and an ASUS ROG Strix 15 for my wife to work on. For "reasons", I have installed Alibre on both systems over time, and both of them exhibited the following behaviour:

When I assign Alibre to run on the Nvidia GPU it uses the AMD APU and runs rubbish. Low frame-rate and lots of input lag. In fact, when I open any system monitor (Task Manager, ASUS Armoury Crate, GPU-Z, etc) it shows the GPU being idle. When I assign it to use the AMP APU it runs fine, and every monitor shows activity on the GPU (and the APU to be precise).

That happens whether I assign it via Alibre, Windows Settings or the Nvidia Control Panel.

Is there any way to resolve that so that I get a bit more power out of my system for the next round?

Again thanks for all the support guys. It's been a great ride!

I have a feeling I will crash and burn on the next round, but at least I'm:
I might try using OBS. Maybe do a specific setup in OBS without your camera and extras and then use the virtual camera button, which makes other software see OBS as a webcam.
You'd have to experiment.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Turn off the reflections and shadows in AD, consider turning off ambient occlusion
Up to you - personally I find reflections and shadows nothing but a distraction, never have them enabled
I did notice a few times what looked like a lag in your system response so I'm in total agreement about shadows, reflection, and AO. Why have something active that will cause even a slight slow down in your graphics performance that would cost you the win over a good look?
I never, never, never have them active. I think they were the first thing that I turned off when they became available. That's what KeyShot is for if you want to show them in an image. I've even noticed them in some of your videos and it is a bit distracting, especially when rotating the model and they pop up for a few seconds.

Last edited:
On the practice model page, is the order on the leaderboard arbitrary for those who have done all 18 models? It can't be based on time, because somehow I'm 4th. And there's no way I was that fast.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, @Ex Machina is competing again tomorrow, correct?
Good luck man! You've got this, take it slow and steady. I don't know if I'll be awake to watch because I'm working overnight tonight, but we're all rooting for you!

gwbruce

We are all pulling for you Konstantinos. What ever the outcome you have made us all proud and shown the world the power of Alibre. All of you guys using Alibre with the guts to compete are winners in my book.

Ex Machina

Thanks to everyone guys. I'm heading in in a couple of minutes to do the pre-game prep. I'll try guys. I have a sore throat and a bit of a fever but they way I see it that just means that...

I'll be on FIRE tonight... lol (fever talking)

Ex Machina

@Ex Machina it was a good run. You were doing great. Imants is a tough competitor and really fast on Onshape. You did us all proud. Get well my friend.
Thanks everyone for the kind words and the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, I didn't do well and I was far from my best self. I rewatched the video and was wondering literally what was I thinking. I'm still not 100% but I'm better. That's the bad news.

The good news, is that there is another tournament in the Summer.