What's new

v27 Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Looking at the videos on YouTube of the new V27 features and usability improvements, it looks like you (Alibre) may have done enough to get me to re-activate my maintenance! These look like some of the best productivity tools that have been implemented in a long time. Just hope that they don't introduce a whole raft of new bugs and that some of the comments against each YouTube video get read by the dev team, i.e. A group item in the design tree needs to show the number of elements it contains. Small details that add polish and a sense of complete thought to the implementation!

Looking forward to seeing the full list of new stuff and fixed stuff ... plus a planned release date!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A group item in the design tree needs to show the number of elements it contains. Small details that add polish and a sense of complete thought to the implementation!

Looking forward to seeing the full list of new stuff and fixed stuff ... plus a planned release date!
I agree on the 'small details' comment. Seems like some of them that would make a tool 'complete' get left behind for one reason or another. Or maybe just weren't thought of in development.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
My first big disappointment with v27 - no path pattern in the assembly workspace. o_O :rolleyes:
I have submitted this via the bug reporting link with an example using a brush example from the preview video.

No Path Pattern in Assy WS.jpg

Why create, for another example, a bolt hole path pattern in a cover plate and casting, if you cannot follow that up with a path pattern of the fasteners to secure the cover plate in place? I can't image having to insert individual fasteners in holes that are path patterned at the part level when an assembly feature could be used to make that job super easy.

What would be good is if it could "look" for a pattern in the part you have constrained the screw too, and give an option to re use that pattern. Like a pull down tab, reuse, linear, polar whatever sort of thing.
You absolutely want to be able to copy a path pattern as you say, otherwise it's just a nightmare

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Changes to 3DConnexion will occur in v27. It is possible, based on feedback, that further changes will be required. We have done what we believe will satisfy most people, and we will now validate that. Incremental satisfaction from what we've already done for v27 requires a different approach and a non-trivially increased time budget, so we wanted to do the easiest and most obvious things first. So there will be an improvement in v27 for sure, and then the question is whether it is enough.
@Max, Where/how do the changes to 3DConexxion get accessed? Is there a new menu of sorts? Do we need the latest drivers in order to make them available?

jasonmburns

What new features will be added to Alibre Atom3D in v27?

The reason I am asking, I am deciding if I want to renew my license.

ClaudeG

Hi,
I have installes the new V27 beta version.
I loases a previously made assembly; I am not seeing the button for the toolbox in the ribbon!
How do I activate it ?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Toolbox appears only in Assembly workspace.
So, you have to open an assembly, create a part based on the toolbox, then open the part to finish the part, i.e. add chamfers, holes, etc? ... Would make more sense if you could create a base part from a toolbox 'template' and then customise that 'basic' part, whilst in the part editor! My use case for the toolbox would be for generating 20x20 or 40x40 extruded rail parts or L/U channel parts from stock materials ... then complete the part with cuts and holes, etc.

The workflow from the assembly 'assumes' that the part is complete and ready to use ... which in 99% of case won't be! Would be interested in the dev rational behind the 'assembly' only implementaion.

ClaudeG

I did open an assembly already doen, and I dont see the tolbox button.
If I start a new assembly, I still do not see it.
I am using a french version, I will configure it in englis american and see.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
So, you have to open an assembly, create a part based on the toolbox, then open the part to finish the part, i.e. add chamfers, holes, etc? ... Would make more sense if you could create a base part from a toolbox 'template' and then customise that 'basic' part, whilst in the part editor! My use case for the toolbox would be for generating 20x20 or 40x40 extruded rail parts or L/U channel parts from stock materials ... then complete the part with cuts and holes, etc.

The workflow from the assembly 'assumes' that the part is complete and ready to use ... which in 99% of case won't be! Would be interested in the dev rational behind the 'assembly' only implementaion.
Simon - see Ralf's post #114 about creating the part - it opens what is effectively a standard part workspace, but with equation editor pre-populated with values from the spreadsheet. You set the part up there.

The Toolbox icon in assemblies is intended for inserting an already prepared part, and selecting which row of the spreadsheet drives the instance to be inserted.

The Help for v27 is still in preparation. I must admit I had to ask for some explanation when I first saw Toolbox, just prior to the beta.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The Toolbox icon in assemblies is intended for inserting an already prepared part, and selecting which row of the spreadsheet drives the instance to be inserted.
In addition to selecting the diving dimensions, I am finding that I can add more features to the toolbox item as well as configurations which can be selected after inserting the part into an assembly. (Be careful to select the right config options when using them so you don't end up with odd results or different results when changing configs.)

I am only working on a simple wood dowel pin for my "experimenting" but I think there are, or can be, a lot of features added to the toolbox items to make them more complete for assembly use.

Status
Not open for further replies.